How did "Brown Cafe" come to be what it is today?

trickpony1

....I thought we couldn't work more than 80 hours a week which is roughly 20 hours per week?
I not knock'n ya Wily. If you can get away with it then go for it!
I think the whole idea of being told what we can and can't do (and for how long) after we retire stinks. I'm not sure social security can even tell us what to do.

......OK, I'm ready for the barrage of posts about how it is the Teamster's fault.........

wkmac

OK, I'm ready for the barrage of posts about how it is the Teamster's fault

:lol: :lol:

Hey Trick, if you're 65 and older and based on what I read of the newest, latest rules with CS, you can work any amount of time and the restrictions of type of work is for the most part wide open as in very little if any. Age 62 is pretty good as well. I think with SS, if you earn over a certain amount they cut the benefit or you pay more tax or something. It's not a draw it all no matter what kinda deal from my understanding.

My dad is a 78 year old workaholic who refuses to completely retire and he comments that he has to watch what he makes so as not to impact his SS check so I'm going off of that to base what I'm saying. He's working fulltime so it's a very liberal amount based on what I see. I really need to sitdown with him and get the details because now being in my 50's I've not got to many more years myself before I face that choice.

wily_old_vet

....I thought we couldn't work more than 80 hours a week which is roughly 20 hours per week?

Trick-It varies from plan to plan. I retired at age 56 on a 25 and out and according to my plan I can work as many hours as I desire. My biggest fear this year was filling out the form retirees get each year in regards to work so they can determine if you worked in a disqualifying job. I had checked with the plan before I took the job by phone and they okayed it. My fear came from the fact I didn't get it in writing. I was reassured when I called that I was fine. Whew!!! Having them take back 7 months of benefits would have hurt big time.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Slopthro.....still works !

Now, with all the meatball comments.....I've been relaxing in Hawaii for the past 10 days, so I'm just catching up on the reading of all the posts. It didn't used to take this long for me to catch up......which shows how much the browncafe has grown. I've been at this computer all day long today!

It's true that I do spend a lot of time with my UPS family.....approaching 10,000 posts. I just find it to be a most interesting site with great people and great ideas.

Miss you everyday, Wiley :)

Ok, back to the meatballs....We ate at Bravo's twice in Pearl City area and both times I had spaghetti with meatballs.

Thanks Cheryl, for a place to empty my brain out. It does relieve a lot of pressure. You do a great job!

DS

Fenderbender
Welcome home more!....prosloth works too...
nice of you to miss the old vet,but if I recall
he gets quite gnarly when someone spells his
name with an "e"...its just Wily.I recently posted
my 1000th post...so I`m hooked too.

Cole

I appreciate your service to the Corp Cheryl! The Parcel Corp.

I am the kind of person if you give respect you will get it, and if not, I will still try to be respectful.

DS

Fenderbender
Christ, I hate to be a part of this gooey, lovey dovey, Waltons stuff, but...

I am so addicted to BrownCafe. I hit this site every night after work, and many times on the weekend. I have more friends here than in the real world!

I have learned a lot here too. What goes on in different parts of the country, and the world. I learned how to blind-side back a tractor trailer into a really small box (Thanks, Tie).

So, yes, Cheryl, thanks for creating this. It is quite awesome.

And Tooner, you are not a problem child. You are our conscience, our good side, our morals.

Goodnight Johnboy, goodnight MaryEllen, goodnight Jimbob...
I just went back and reread pretty much this whole thread...
this line about sums it up for me too

UPS Lifer

I don't think words can adequately describe what you have done with this forum and for us. You have brought countless hours of enjoyable entertainment to us all! We have been able to share limitless stories, methods, ideas, experiences and personal values.
Some of us have created friendships that will endure for years to come.

You continue to sacrifice to make the BC better every day.

A mere "Thank You" seems paltry in comparison. .... but Thank You anyway!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
This post is one I missed during my "baycation" as my daughter used to call it.

Cool info. And it goes to prove beyond doubt that Cheryl is a real class act.

BC is very habit forming, and the withdrawal symptoms are at times, tough to handle.

I agree with Lifer, thankyou is not nearly enough, but for now, will have to do. Maybe if we do decide to do the Brown Cafe Cruise for real, we can do better!

d

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Cheryl,
I am new to posting -aways on the sidelines and probably alittle apprehensive to contribute. But you have created a real fun, informative site - I am now addicted!!! Thanks for bringing this to life.

DS

Fenderbender
wow red rose,you were digging I see:smart:You are right,this site is addictive though,and as some will attest,can get you a 5 day suspension,or a slap in the head by your spouse,so walk softly:wink2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
wow red rose,you were digging I see:smart:You are right,this site is addictive though,and as some will attest,can get you a 5 day suspension,or a slap in the head by your spouse,so walk softly:wink2:

Aint that the truth!!!!! lol

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Help me here - DIGGING?
Digging as in an old thread. The last post here was 6/08. LOL
Actually DS, it wasn't Rose that dug this up. Cheryl did for Signature. LOL
I think your father would be proud of you. I'm happy you decided to undertake that project.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Once upon a time (1999) the only civilized UPS forum was Motley Fool's UPS sub forum. The group there was friendly and knowledgeable and everyone got along fine.

One day a jealous troll known as "ewave" stumbled into the forum. Ewave was jealous of the happy community and amused himself by disrupting it. He liked to announce that the end was near for UPS. In his quest to tear down the Big Brown Corporation he created his own yahoo web page to spread disinformation and promote the union vs. management philosophy which Ewave loved so much.

I was an active participant in the Motley Fool UPS community and spent a lot of time debating Ewave. Coincidently I had spent a couple of years learning to create web pages as a hobby. I was looking for a topic for a new project so I decided to create a web site with exactly the opposite intent of ewave's. Originally browncafe was a homepage account through our isp, then after a couple of months it got so busy that I registered this domain and rented server space.

Although I've never worked for UPS I know the culture well, I have spent my whole life in it. My dad worked for UPS his entire career. My husband worked for UPS 1977 - 2003.

This site is entirely my own creation, no UPS involvement at all. I guess it's really a tribute to my brown blooded dad who had passed away a few years before the site started. This site was up and running before my husband ever knew about it. After he saw it he didn't think it was a very good idea. He was concerned that there might be repercussions for him at work, but no one ever said a negative word about it. He left UPS in 2003.

That's the whole story. In a nutshell this site was created because in 1999 I got ticked off and wanted to show a troll on another forum that our community could create a better, more productive resource for all UPSers than his one sided UPS bashing site... thank you ewave
:wink:

Thank you Cheryl for an open site for all views on UPS.