How did you guys prepare for a shift change

Partion

I got hired for a preload position that starts at 3am. Ive been on a normal sleeping schedule for a while now.

How did you guys get enough rest to not be a zombie for that first shift?

ManInBrown

Everything will fall in line. The first day of the week will be the worst. But after you go the first day everything falls in line. You’ll be tired and need to sleep. I deal with the same thing in feeders.

Partion

Everything will fall in line. The first day of the week will be the worst. But after you go the first day everything falls in line. You’ll be tired and need to sleep. I deal with the same thing in feeders.
I have a lot of friends who drive trucks. Your sleeps probably all kinds of :censored2:ed. Thanks for the advice

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'm still up.
If you can't get enough sleep before work, sleep immediately after. Preload is not rocket science...
Aim for 4.5 hours before, 4.5 hours after if you ain't feeling sleepy by 6PM

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I got hired for a preload position that starts at 3am. Ive been on a normal sleeping schedule for a while now.

Deal with it the way I deal with jet lag. Just stay up the first day until your new bedtime. Staying up til 2 am isn't too tough, then just get ready and head into work. You'll be so busy you won't even think about being tired. The hard part might be after, depending on what your new sleep schedule will be.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

I've been around for a long time. Yes, they look like zombies.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Go to bed at 7 pm.

I mean you're only working 4 hours. It's not that hard to fight thru for a few hours.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i drank monster every day i was on the preload (3 years) i never fully adapted then

now that i’m older it’s actually easier go figure

GenericUsername

I went to bed between 10 and 11, slept the few hours before work and then went in. After work, come home and shower, eat something (assuming you didn't before work) and then crash for a few hours. Wake up around 1 or 2 feeling refreshed and knock out everything you need to. You may need a PT job. If you're not used to the early hours or the work that goes with it, try to get something in the afternoon around 4ish to whatever time you can find.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I went from PC to feeders, all there was was night jobs. Got some darkening curtains. Put a note next to my doorbell that said "unless this house is on fire, DO NOT ring this doorbell", along with my no solicitors sign. I unplugged my phone (land line days). I talked to my neighbor, who is a pilot and home prolly 20 days a month to please not mow his grass in the AM, and he agreed. After a while, my body adjusted to the point where I didn't even use an alarm, I just woke up when I needed to. I also went straight to bed when I got home at 4am, that way, if I had to run any kind of errands, I could do it during business hours before I left for work.

old levi's

blank space
I went to preload at 0300 hours, had about 1.5 hours off for breakfast, went back to work at 1000 hours until 1900. Two days during the week I would commute 60 miles one way, after the second job, to complete my degree.

Good times!

frank123

You might feel like crap right around two weeks in. That’s when new people sometimes no call on accident or even think they’re sick bc they feel like crap. You could put your phone across the room or something so you don’t just turn off your alarm and knock back out.

If you’re a caffeine drinker, limiting that can help your body figure out a sleep cycle. It also helps when eventually you really need to wake up for something and you’re not completely desensitized to it lol.

SmithBarney

Say you start Monday at 3AM. Stay up all Night Saturday and push through sunday til about 5:30-6:30PM(that's your new bedtime assuming you get up at 2am, and have a short commute, don't worry about showering til after your shift.... ;) but do brush your teeth, nobody needs that in the unload.