how do you all deal with sore knees...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Are these the same soles that can be bought at drug store or are we talking about something custom??? Can you explain more about the gel, is this over the counter stuff that can be bought anywhere???

Sorry Cold, I just saw this. Yes it can be bought OTC. I actually bought mine at one of our local physical therapy offices. Here's a link http://biofreeze.com/

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
scratch, have you felt that the inserts have made a big difference..do you find that they help your back as well???
These are better than anything I have had over the counter, so there is improvement in my feet. I don't have back problems, so I can't answer that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
scratch, have you felt that the inserts have made a big difference..do you find that they help your back as well???
If your knee pain is linked to a problem with your feet, then yes they will help. I wouldn't just make that assumption without seeing a podiatrist though.

1taly100

alot of ice! i soak towels ten fold them and place them in a garbage bag, then i put them in the freezer. i have two of them in there and keep rotateing them, it seems like th on ly thing that works for me. try it and let me know how it workd for you.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just tell your on car supervisor and manager that your knees are bothering you. Ask them to reduce your paid day, and please understand that the physical pain could affect performance slightly...........Bahahahhahaha..lmao...Bhaahahaha.

I think I read that in the contract. Age and physical condition must be taken into consideration. BaHaHaHaHa.....Lmao..Bhaaahaha

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's not necessarily so, Jones. Feet and knees will affect your back.
I think you misread my post. I realize that foot problems can lead to knee and back pain, but I think it's best to get confirmation from a podiatrist that that is in fact what is occurring, because it could be something else entirely.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think you misread my post. I realize that foot problems can lead to knee and back pain, but I think it's best to get confirmation from a podiatrist that that is in fact what is occurring, because it could be something else entirely.

The toe bone connected
to the foot bone,
and the foot bone connected
to the ankle bone,
and the ankle bone connected
to the leg bone.
With the leg bone connected
to the knee bone,
and the knee bone connected
to the thigh bone,
and the thigh bone connected
to the hip bone.
With the hip bone connected
to the back bone,
and the back bone connected
to the neck bone,
and the neck bone connected
to the head bone.

satellitedriver

The toe bone connected
to the foot bone,
and the foot bone connected
to the ankle bone,
and the ankle bone connected
to the leg bone.
With the leg bone connected
to the knee bone,
and the knee bone connected
to the thigh bone,
and the thigh bone connected
to the hip bone.
With the hip bone connected
to the back bone,
and the back bone connected
to the neck bone,
and the neck bone connected
to the head bone.

Hoke left out the first stanza;

Ezekiel cried, "Dem dry bones!"
"Oh, hear the word of the Lord."

Oh, Lordy.

I thought knee pain was a part of the job. I've noticed that the longer I parcel my knees hurt more(many flights of stairs during the day). My feet look terrible. Would a podiatrist be able to help me? I've heard about a procedure that shaves the feet and relieves foot pain and the calluses. Any thoughts?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Knee pain, or any type of pain really, should not be part of the job if you take care of yourself and do the job right. If you think that that your feet might be a problem, by all means see a podiatrist. If the podiatrist says your feet are fine then go see a physical therapist, he/she can give you some exercises to strengthen your knees.

To whom it may concern,(JONES). The suggestion of knee pain while parceling, is in no way suggesting that the service provider is not following the the methods. According to my primary care physician, the occurence of knee pain is a function of aging, not failure to follow the methods. Knee pain or discomfort is not a precursor for an injury, also a podiatrist has been known to provide relief for individuals who spend a great amount of time on their feet.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
To whom it may concern,(JONES). The suggestion of knee pain while parceling, is in no way suggesting that the service provider is not following the the methods. According to my primary care physician, the occurence of knee pain is a function of aging, not failure to follow the methods. Knee pain or discomfort is not a precursor for an injury, also a podiatrist has been known to provide relief for individuals who spend a great amount of time on their feet.

If by methods you mean grabbing the handrail, that will help but your knees will still get messed up regardless. They say that you should enter the package car at one stop with your right foot then the next stop enter with your left foot so you can run your knees down at the same pace...this job is hard on your body regardless of what you do...

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Consistent with what I have been told by doctors.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never said that knee pain was the result of not following the methods, I said that if you take care of yourself and do the job right, knee pain should not be be part of the job. I understand that some people have arthritis or other problems that lead to knee and back pain, but in those cases you have the pain no matter what you do for a living, it's not because of your job.
Knee pain may be a consequence of aging, but for the majority of people it's not inevitable. There are plenty of guys and girls who have been doing this job for 20+ years who don't live in constant pain (everyone gets the the occasional ache).
All I really said was that if you think the problem is your feet, you should see a podiatrist to confirm that before deciding on your own that shoe inserts are the answer to your problem based on something you read on the internet, because it might not be your feet. It could be arthritis, it could be tendinitis, it could be crepitus, or it could just be that you need to lose a few pounds.

Billy

I bought a knee strap for $10 and it has worked better than all the drugs, and inserts I have ever tried. The strap holds the kneecap in place not allowing it to move around. Here is what I got: http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/Mueller-Jumper-s-Knee-Straps-202p351.htm It was the best $10 I spent. Usually I wait to put it on until I feel an ache starting. Then once on, it only takes about an hour and I can take it off again with no pain.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I bought some orthotic inserts from Target yesterday (Smart Sense) and will try them today. I did try them briefly last night around the house and noticed a big difference. I tend to walk on the sides of my feet and have knee and lower leg discomfort so hopefully these will help to correct my stride and ease my discomfort.