How do you beat the heat?

Indecisi0n

Whatever you do don't tell the UPS doctor you drink beer, today 9/17 a new driver was on the belt and when he filled out his dot form he put he drank 15 drinks per month and the doctor held off on signing him off for duty. Not sure why but now he might have to do blood tests monthly. That's insane !
Sounds like an easy way to get a few days off, thanks!

Ring Sport

Funny how some of these threads end up taking a hard left....lol. Any how I know that for the most part the heat is pretty much gone or getting close to being done. I still thought I would share what I know and maybe help those that may have a hot day here and there. As well as for preparation next year. What I'am going to share applies to dealing with any heat related situation, whether at work or on personal time.

I'am bad about this one, which is eliminating coffee (caffeine) from your diet. I usually will eliminate coffee and the below mentioned things completely a week prior to hitting the backcountry. Probably not a necessity, for the average Joe, but I thought I would bring it up. Soda pop we all already know is bad. Alcohol will dehydrate you as well. Some of this we all already know. I see Gatorade mentioned, which I guess is fine in a pinch. I usually find myself feeling like crap if I drink too much of it. Reason being is that it is loaded with sugar. For me it is a balancing act between hitting the Gatorade (if that is all I have available) and drinking plain water. Tap water that isn't "ice water" is ideal. Not too warm and not too cold. Ice water can actually shock your system. Think of it as the same concept as submerging a cold glass in hot water. My drink of choice along with water is this. I don't think it tastes bad at all, but that may just be me. Read the reviews. I like the compact size and just drop a tablet into 16 ounces of water or two tablets in 32 ounces.

Start drinking early and often. Don't wait till your already thirsty. By that point your already dehydrated. Some may not know this, but your body can only absorb about a quart of water every hour. If your peeing all the time your drinking too much. If your not peeing at all your not drinking enough. The color of your urine will tell you a lot. Seems like I read something somewhere that a rule of thumb was about a cup every couple hours.

This may sound crazy, but eat salty snacks. Plain potato chips are perfect. Not Doritos or Cheetos. Lack of sodium will create a situation called hyponatremia. Hyponatremia will mimic heat exhaustion and people will start drinking more water. Which in turn makes the situation worse by further diluting already low sodium levels in the blood. Can lead to death. We have all see someone with the salt rings on their shirts.

Clothing. Moisture wicking clothing is ideal. There is a lot of different manufacturers and styles out there. As far as underwear goes they make some in the moisture wicking material as well. I have seen it elsewhere. Just thru that link in as an example. Haven't tried it as of yet. Drivers have no choice in wearing light colored clothing. Outside of work you do.

This suggestion may just be in my head, but I found for me that if I breathe through my nose instead through my mouth, I don't feel as thirsty being that my mouth doesn't dry out. I by no means am a Doctor. These are just things that I have found that work for me. I have drank some nasty water at times to survive. My wife tells me I'am disgusting.