How do you sheet up "dog"

whenIgetthere

Buffalo a moose.. I like that.

It's one thing when you see the moose from the PC.. NI1 (Moose) and off we go.. but it's a little unnerving to get to a remote resi in the dark.. get to the front door and DR the package then realize there is a moose in the shadows of the trees you need to walk past to get back to the PC. Good times..

Reminds me of a time when I was a kid and staying for the week with my grandfather in northern New England. We were heading back to the car after hunting, it was somewhat dark. My grandfather said stop, and told me to look to my left about 50 feet. All I could see were trees, and he said four of those trees were a moose's legs. That was a wow moment!

rocket man

put over the fence figure if im not going in the person who wants to take pkg is not going in to. a smart crook would take the package that was a d.r from the house with out a dog. but there are not to many smart crooks. so bottom line is up and over the fence unless sig req or its electronics or somthing you know that shouldnt be released.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
non-delivery-->not-in (attempt number), in notes put dog

And be ready for your warning letter next day if the customer calls in a complaint. You'll get the "How could you possibly know the customer wasn't home if you couldn't get to the door past the dog?" line.

Future it for the next business day with "dog" in the remarks column.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And be ready for your warning letter next day if the customer calls in a complaint. You'll get the "How could you possibly know the customer wasn't home if you couldn't get to the door past the dog?" line.

Future it for the next business day with "dog" in the remarks column.

Future means that a delivery attempt was not made. We also use Future to sheet possible damages in my center and known closures.

NI is the correct exception to use when dealing with a dog. If the homeowner doesn't hear the dog going crazy and the PC horn then is it safe to assume that there is no one home.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Future means that a delivery attempt was not made.

NI is the correct exception to use.

If that were really the case then it would show on the exception report as a missed package, which it doesn't, because we have drivers using "future" two to three times a week for this same reason and would we would catch hell for it if your theory was correct.

over9five

Staff member
Future means that a delivery attempt was not made. We also use Future to sheet possible damages in my center and known closures.

NI is the correct exception to use when dealing with a dog. If the homeowner doesn't hear the dog going crazy and the PC horn then is it safe to assume that there is no one home.

I would suggest that people do not do this just because an anonymous person on the interwebs says it is the correct exception to use.

Instead, do it like the boss tells you. Different franchises, different rules.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If that were really the case then it would show on the exception report as a missed package, which it doesn't, because we have drivers using "future" two to three times a week for this same reason and would we would catch hell for it if your theory was correct.

Future is used when a delivery attempt was not made and is usually reserved for a known closure or, in my center, possible damages. Futures do not show as missed. If you are at the delivery address and are attempting the delivery but are unable to complete the delivery due to a dog and the homeowner is not home the correct exception code to use is NI.

I would agree that using Future is much better than using Missed.

1080Driver

How about the good old NI option with "Unsafe Dog" in remarks & thanks to pretty much every phone for having a camera, take a pic or video of the dog just in case you get asked about it....I have pics of a dog on route tearing up a box after the customer insisted the dog "is a pussycat"

How about the good old NI option with "Unsafe Dog" in remarks & thanks to pretty much every phone for having a camera, take a pic or video of the dog just in case you get asked about it....I have pics of a dog on route tearing up a box after the customer insisted the dog "is a pussycat"
99% of customers insist their dog doesn't it's!!!!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It will not matter which one you use, and you will be wrong as soon as the customer calls in. Then your sup will kiss the guys butt, and take them out to him, and make you look like a fool. Very unprofessional in my opinion. I will be verifying this with my center manager this morning. Im still spitting nails

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The only time we use 'future' here is if it is a 'sig req' or 'cod' or 'closed' and the customer is not going to be available within the 3 attempts. Otherwise, it's CLO 1, NI 1 or NM1. We don't use future for damages. We don't use future for 'dog'. We don't use future for a known closed. In fact, known closed goes on the known closed list and they get cut (usually). I have one stop on my rte that is on permanent will call and if it doesn't get cut then I sheet it will call. I don't go to that resi. I know of several dogs that will destroy packages if put over the fence. The customers know this and don't do anything about it. As far as I am concerned that is their problem.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We had to get permission to use future for a while. The DM wanted to know why we had so many, and he was told. Working as directed. So, we had to get the center manager's permission to do it, that way he was the one held accountable. Amazing how we never use future anymore, except for what it was intended for.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
NI1 is the correct way to record it. We were there; we made a delivery attempt; we were unable to complete that delivery attempt due to circumstances (dog) beyond our control. GPS/Telematics will confirm that we were at the correct location at the time that we scanned the package. The bottom line is that the shipper got the service that they paid for, and the consignee is the one who is ultimately responsible for allowing their dog to interfere with completion of the delivery.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
NI1 is the correct way to record it. We were there; we made a delivery attempt; we were unable to complete that delivery attempt due to circumstances (dog) beyond our control. GPS/Telematics will confirm that we were at the correct location at the time that we scanned the package. The bottom line is that the shipper got the service that they paid for, and the consignee is the one who is ultimately responsible for allowing their dog to interfere with completion of the delivery.
Agree totally. GPS is my friend.