How do you stay cool in hot weather

Feeder Hawgg

Feeder Hawgg
A couple of things that you need to do in addition to the hydration and they involve your diet. First of all cut out all caffine and alcohol. These act as diuretics', meaning they speed the de-hydration process. Eat smaller portion meals with fresh fruits and veggies, cut out the heavy greasy foods.

When you work in the heat, leave the cap at home, 80% of your body heat escapes through your head, hands and feet. If you do become overheated, lie down with your feet elevated, removing your shoes. This will reduce the stress you are placing on your heart and subsiquently lower your blood pressure and temp.

Remember you eat and drink today for the job tomorrow. Oh yeah, water at room temp, although not as refreshing, speeds the re-hydration process. The body has to warm the water to absorb it into your system.
Lived in Alabama all my life and these work.

Last edited:

leastbest

LeastBest
I've been on the same route for 28 years (been driving 30) and know everyone so I carry my swim trunks and swim for 10-15 minutes and feel tons better. Plus I eat a light lunch and lots of water.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Bring a damp towel and wet yourself when you're overheated.

Sweat is underated, as it cools me better than any other mechanism I can think of. Of course I'm excluding AC and fans.

Once I start sweating, I feel very comfortable working. Yes, its bad to spend more than 10 seconds in the back of the truck where it is 120 or higher. When its 95-100 outside I love it!

This is GREAT working weather for me. I say this because at day's end I feel like I accomplished something. When I sweat all day its like taking a shower from the inside out. I know our customers would pass on the site of me drenched in sweat, but I DO garner sympathy from lovely women that take pity on my sorry appearence.

Give me the heat and humiditity anyday over cold and snow!

I would much rather sweat than freeze:happy2:.
Im with you 110%.
I will take 100 over 2 degrees any day.
I drench myself in whatever is available, it makes me feel alive, a feeling I really enjoy.
You dont look bad wet, and If someone ever mentions it and they usually dont, I just tell them what I do and why I do it and it may save a life someday.
We were out on the boat Sunday, it was hot, and my grandson was getting a little sleepy and cranky. And we probaly over did it a little, but life comes at you so fast you have to grab the opportunities. I put his shirt in the water and put it back on him and he was wide awake again. It works to cool the body so well. We pulled a bunch of perch in the boat, and headed home. Now all they can talk about is going to "perch city" again. Grandma when can we go? Here in the NE I would say memories are built in the summer much more than the winter.

New Englander

A couple of things that you need to do in addition to the hydration and they involve your diet. First of all cut out all caffine and alcohol. These act as diuretics', meaning they speed the de-hydration process. Eat smaller portion meals with fresh fruits and veggies, cut out the heavy greasy foods.

When you work in the heat, leave the cap at home, 80% of your body heat escapes through your head, hands and feet. If you do become overheated, lie down with your feet elevated, removing your shoes. This will reduce the stress you are placing on your heart and subsiquently lower your blood pressure and temp.

Remember you eat and drink today for the job tomorrow. Oh yeah, water at room temp, although not as refreshing, speeds the re-hydration process. The body has to warm the water to absorb it into your system.
Lived in Alabama all my life and these work.

Agree with all but your theory on rehydration.

Numerous tests have been done. Temp makes no difference at all.

barnyard

KTM rider
When it gets hot here, it seems like I always hear, "Stay cool out there."

My reply, "I was born cool."

Sometimes, I really have no idea how uncool I am.

TB

I have never had one problem with mine Dill. Too bad they don't come equipped in the trucks already. If you can keep the water COLD COLD...Its so much better.
I tried to use one of those a couple of years ago. My problem was the mist messed up my glasses and I couldn't see well.

upsgrunt

I've found that they work even better if you clip the spray end so that it dispenses in front of the dash fan (if you have one). It is really refreshing especially sitting at a stop light and if the water is really cold, it can almost take your breath away.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I tried one for awhile, but it just took too much time to keep pumping it up, so now I use a spray bottle and wet down my shirt. If a little breeze comes up it can actually give you a chill, at one point on Thurs I leaned back against the seat and it was so cold it took my breath away.

BTW to you all, especially now that pas makes us spend 3 times more time in the back; if it is as hot as here (100-120 ) in summer, make sure you get enough calcium and magnesium, Gatorade does not have it, and I'm not sure it has enough potassium. On Monday and Tuesday nights I had leg and arm cramps so bad I cried in pain and got no sleep, so I bought supplements with calcium, magnesium and zinc, I'm also drinking a bottle of pediolyte each day which has more potassium and different sources than gatorade. I'm looking into ordering e-lyte.

browniehound

I have other drivers question why I wear an undershirt, even on days when it is 100 degrees with 90% humidity. My response:

1. You look disgusting with big old sweaty pits and back.

2. The shirt, cotton or UA, actually holds the moisture to my body and helps me stay cooler.

Cement,
I wear an undershirt for the same reasons. I think it also prevents permanent sweat stains on the brown shirt. I have some shirts with very large sweat stains on the armpits that will not come out in the wash. These occured when I wasn't wearing an undershirt.