How does Healthcare work

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Thats hurtful :bored:. And thats what I am huh?
If you are working a union job enjoying the benefits negotiated by the union without contributing to the union. Then yes.
b9d9e05211db8c2511ae0d6b7470db48.jpg

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Usually I would agree with you. Except how do you explain a Union job and Union dues for a minimum wage job with minimum hours and no benefits? You wonder why young people are not big Union supporters. They got sold out so drivers can make $35/hr.

Stay there for any amount of time and those union benefits and pay start to kick in. If you are looking for a quick payday then this isn't the place for you.
I started out at $8.50 an hour in 1989. That wasn't too much more than what McDonald's was paying back then. I double and sometimes triple sorted to make extra money. Part time air drove and drove on Saturdays to get extra money, and after 10 and half years finally got a chance to go full time just to work sporadically for the first couple of years.
If you don't want to join and support the union go work somewhere else. FedEx is hiring too

upschuck

Be easy on this kid, obviously nobody has told him anything, and may not even know UPS is a union shop, a failure on the local's part. He knows now.

Faceplanted

Stay there for any amount of time and those union benefits and pay start to kick in. If you are looking for a quick payday then this isn't the place for you.
I started out at $8.50 an hour in 1989. That wasn't too much more than what McDonald's was paying back then. I double and sometimes triple sorted to make extra money. Part time air drove and drove on Saturdays to get extra money, and after 10 and half years finally got a chance to go full time just to work sporadically for the first couple of years.
If you don't want to join and support the union go work somewhere else. FedEx is hiring too
Are u kidding? Ups payed douvle what McDonald's paid back than, if not more than that. That's huge.

8.50 an hour back part time in 89 could give a single guy a decent ride and an apartment.

Ups continued to pay 8.50 an hour for over 20 years while minimum wage went up drastically.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Are u kidding? Ups payed douvle what McDonald's paid back than, if not more than that. That's huge.

8.50 an hour back part time in 89 could give a single guy a decent ride and an apartment.

Ups continued to pay 8.50 an hour for over 20 years while minimum wage went up drastically.

No they were not double it was maybe a dollar something more than McDonald's was paying around here.

Faceplanted

No they were not double it was maybe a dollar something more than McDonald's was paying around here.
Where u live? Upper east side? Or San Francisco

Minimum wage was 3.35 back than in 89

That would be like ups paying 20+ an hour part time in today's values. It goes to show how :censored2:ty things have gotten.

Last edited:

wilberforce15

Ahhh, BrownCafe, where people making $90k berate people making $10k for being freeloaders and scabs. People who started with a decent wage, fast benefits, and fast development to full-time, and quick progression to top pay, now throw stones at those who don't. Yeah, clearly the guy working three jobs with no opportunity for full-time work is the problem when he doesn't want to pay $250 per year, or skip his third job to attend a union meeting a hundred miles from his house, from which he will receive no benefit.

If you are an experienced full-timer, you were never paid as little, or waited as long for benefits, as this new guy. Instead of explaining to him the benefits of the union and drawing him in to be an invested brother, securing the future of the Teamsters, you decide to teach him that being in the union means screwing the guy below you, forgetting the guy above you, and generally being a pissy, entitled buffoon who just loves to haze people.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
fast development to full-time,
10 and half years is fast development to full time?
Average wait time now is about two to two and half years here.
So after three years of working here they are making more than what it took me and others close to ten years to make.
The opening up of the 22.3 full time jobs that we went on strike to help create that get them the opportunity to get full time pensions? I guess that doesn't count either. Or is that us screwing these new guys over too..
The self entitled ones are the ones who don't think they should have to pay their dues or lay the blame at contract language they don't like at the feet of the people who take the time to vote and go to the union hall to voice their opinions

Faceplanted

10 and half years is fast development to full time?
Average wait time now is about two to two and half years here.
So after three years of working here they are making more than what it took me and others close to ten years to make.
The opening up of the 22.3 full time jobs that we went on strike to help create that get them the opportunity to get full time pensions? I guess that doesn't count either. Or is that us screwing these new guys over too..
The self entitled ones are the ones who don't think they should have to pay their dues or lay the blame at contract language they don't like at the feet of the people who take the time to vote and go to the union hall to voice their opinions
Part time pay back than being more than double minimum wage would be enough to get by on

Part time rate now is poverty

Things have changed from all angles. Just 5 years ago part time to full time was 5-8 years.

wilberforce15

Turd, one obvious way to tell someone is full of it is when they pick out one thing in a long list to nit-pick, gnaw on it like a dog on a bone, and think they rebutted the whole post by appealing to a single anecdote at their local facility.

You've checked all of those boxes. And you're wrong, but you're so intent on being wrong that you are simply not worth my time. I post here, and sometimes respond to nonsense like yours, for the benefit of those who are reading, not out of any delusion that someone can talk sense to you.

upschuck

Turd, one obvious way to tell someone is full of it is when they pick out one thing in a long list to nit-pick, gnaw on it like a dog on a bone, and think they rebutted the whole post by appealing to a single anecdote at their local facility.

You've checked all of those boxes. And you're wrong, but you're so intent on being wrong that you are simply not worth my time. I post here, and sometimes respond to nonsense like yours, for the benefit of those who are reading, not out of any delusion that someone can talk sense to you.
It was full of a bunch of holes.

wilberforce15

It was full of a bunch of holes.

Says a guy who probably started at almost double the current new rate, got better benefits in 1/12 the time, didn't work four full years for top pay, and makes ten times more than a "brother" who works half his hours, and who might actually receive a pension check. And you probably got 20 free turkeys, too.

upschuck

Says a guy who probably started at almost double the current new rate,
I in no way made $20/hr when I started.
better benefits in 1/12 the time
Don't really remember how long it took back then
didn't work four full years for top pay,
But you are going FT many years quicker with 22.3, and bigger ratio from 3or4:1 to 6:1
and makes ten times more than a "brother" who works half his hours, and who might actually receive a pension check.
And if they work hard and persevere, like the rest of us, they can too. Can't start at top rate.

That's just freakinbananas, man

Last edited:

wilberforce15

I in no way made $20/hr when I started.

When did you start?

This is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, using the CPI (which understates inflation): CPI Inflation Calculator

Turd, above, says he started at $8.50 in 1989. That is either dishonest or ignorant. He did not start at $8.50. According to the underestimate of inflation by the BLS, he started at $16.70 at the bare minimum, and each raise he got was worth far more.

Let some part-timer come in here and say he deserves $16.70 to start, and all the guys (like Turd, and probably you) who actually did start at that rate will call him crazy, entitled, etc.

Don't really remember how long it took back then

But you do know for certain that it did not take a year. For most of the time, it was after 30 working days, and then gradually moved up to a few months. Now, it's a year.

And if they work hard and persevere, like the rest of us, they can too. Can't start at top rate.

I have 7 years of seniority and a $1/hr skill bonus, and I'm just now getting to where Turd started with no skills and no seniority. How long did it take you to get to top rate while full-time? 2 years? At most? Double that, now.

But you are going FT many years quicker with 22.3, and bigger ratio from 3or4:1 to 6:1

Silliness. We are not going FT faster than anyone did before. It's slower. Why would you believe that your building is representative of the entire country?

It's like all you guys got together and said, "Hey, I've got an idea! Let's pay these kids half of what we got, and then make fun of them for quitting too much! Let's leave them without health insurance and then mock them for not working hard! Let's string them along at less than top-rate for twice as long, and then congratulate ourselves for having it so hard back-in-the-day! Pay your dues, you scab! Ha ha ha ha!"

Last edited: