How does Healthcare work

I've been a midnight package handler since January 17th. I keep hearing about how you get healthcare after such and such time but no definitive explanation on how this supposedly free healthcare works. Can someone explain this healthcare ups is suppose to offer, when I'll get it, etc?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
As a bargaining unit (hourly union) member you receive health care at 12 months (from your seniority date, which is likely 1/17) for yourself and your dependents.

UPS doesn't "offer" this coverage, the Teamsters negotiated it in our collective bargaining agreement.

Your coverage will vary by what part of the country you're in, but the general rule of thumb is that our benefits have $0 premiums/$10-$20 co-pays (depends on specific plan) and a deductible starting in 2017 of $200/$400 for single/family.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I've been a midnight package handler since January 17th. I keep hearing about how you get healthcare after such and such time but no definitive explanation on how this supposedly free healthcare works. Can someone explain this healthcare ups is suppose to offer, when I'll get it, etc?
Welcome to brown cafe

Someone with that knowledge will be along soon with your answer.

I have no clue as when I was PT I recieved my health care after 30 days!

Damn you Hoffa

As a bargaining unit (hourly union) member you receive health care at 12 months (from your seniority date, which is likely 1/17) for yourself and your dependents.

UPS doesn't "offer" this coverage, the Teamsters negotiated it in our collective bargaining agreement.

Your coverage will vary by what part of the country you're in, but the general rule of thumb is that our benefits have $0 premiums/$10-$20 co-pays (depends on specific plan) and a deductible starting in 2017 of $200/$400 for single/family.
I need to be apart of the union?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Doesn't anyone explain anything to these newbies when they are hired?

Or are they just too dumb to listen?

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone explain anything to these newbies when they are hired?

Or are they just to dumb to listen?
I really got hired peak season in like...Early december on preload. i dont even know. Im using my rehire date on midnight shift. I say that to say this: no i wasnt told a thing. They even told us they need people bad. No one really went over anything with our group. So blame my hub, and i cant ask anyone there anything because every supe, ft or pt, has "idk" written across they're head. And HR forwards calls sooo here i am, a scab too apparently lol

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I really got hired peak season in like...Early december on preload. i dont even know. Im using my rehire date on midnight shift. I say that to say this: no i wasnt told a thing. They even told us they need people bad. No one really went over anything with our group. So blame my hub, and i cant ask anyone there anything because every supe, ft or pt, has "idk" written across they're head. And HR forwards calls sooo here i am, a scab too apparently lol

You can't ask anyone you work with?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Or in my local, 250 deductible per person, 750 family then 80/20. Damn glad for it.

You can't ask anyone you work with?
Funny thing is my friend is a supervisor and he is the worst one. No one there has a straight well defined answer for anything. Anything i hear there i take with a grain of salt. One guy told me healthcare only applies if you get hurt at Ups

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Id be insulted but i dont even know the lingo lol
tumblr_mlsmrjBbLp1sohdsno2_540.jpg