How does this even happen? Package Car Verses Train

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
There is a double set of train tracks in the downtown area of a town I used to deliver. They had a 90° turn in them that went behind a building parallel to them and crossed east/west and north/south streets within the city block.

One day I had to wait for a fast train to clear the track. After it had gone by the arms went up and the lights went off so I proceeded across the tracks. As I cleared the tracks I heard a loud rumbling noise and as I looked back another fast moving train came from the other direction hidden behind the building blocking the tracks view, flew by behind me, no train whistle, no track lights on, arms were up, and just missed me by a few feet. That could've been devastating.

Expecting the unexpected at train tracks is what goes thru my mind to this day when I have to cross them.

oldngray

nowhere special
There is a double set of train tracks in the downtown area of a town I used to deliver. They had a 90° turn in them that went behind a building parallel to them and crossed east/west and north/south streets within the city block.

One day I was waiting for a fast train to clear the track. After it had gone by the arms went up and the lights went off so I proceeded across the tracks. As I cleared the tracks I heard a loud rumbling noise and as I looked back another fast moving train came from the other direction hidden behind the building blocking the tracks view, flew by behind me, no train whistle, no track lights on, arms were up, and just missed me by a few feet. That could've been devastating.

Expecting the unexpected at train tracks is what goes thru my mind to this day when I have to cross them.

a lot of rural roads don't have gates

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
a lot of rural roads don't have gates
Most of the rural ones in our area have stop signs affixed on both sides to hopefully stop folks to make them look both ways to see what is going to kill them if they dont proceed with caution.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Most of the rural ones in our area have stop signs affixed on both sides to hopefully stop folks to make them look both ways to see what is going to kill them if they dont proceed with caution.
This is interesting. What kind of speed limit on the road that crosses these tracks?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
This is interesting. What kind of speed limit on the road that crosses these tracks?
25 mph in the corporation limit.
55 mph outside the " ".
Many people have been hit and dragged down the tracks because "there's rarely a train approaching" and trains dont always sound their audible warning at every crossroad...even at high speeds.

AttackedHawk34

One day I had to wait for a fast train to clear the track. After it had gone by the arms went up and the lights went off so I proceeded across the tracks. As I cleared the tracks I heard a loud rumbling noise and as I looked back another fast moving train came from the other direction hidden behind the building blocking the tracks view, flew by behind me, no train whistle, no track lights on, arms were up, and just missed me by a few feet. That could've been devastating.

Glad your okay and what happened was a close call and some bs. This job is dangerous and you can mess around and die just to deliver a box. Thats why i really try to use every method to stay alive. I'm just glad your okay and more cautious.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I knew one older couple in their 70's that were known for arguing in public as their way of "communicating" with each other. For years.

One day they crossed a railroad track and got killed by a train.

The conductor of the train was quoted that he saw them encroaching the train tracks, he sounded his horn, and right before he struck and killed them he could see what appeared to him as them visibly angrily arguing with each other and they never saw the train until it was too late.

People take too much for granted at train track crossings. This was an extreme case of distraction but it was this couple's last fight.

AttackedHawk34

I knew one older couple in their 70's that were known for arguing in public as their way of "communicating" with each other. For years.

One day they crossed a railroad track and got killed by a train.

The conductor of the train was quoted that he saw them encroaching the train tracks, he sounded his horn, and right before he struck and killed them he could see what appeared to him as them visibly angrily arguing with each other and they never saw the train until it was too late.

People take too much for granted at train track crossings. This was an extreme case of distraction but it was this couple's last fight.
Tragic indeed I just hate to hear stories like that. Railroad tracks need to be treated as intersections and then proceed with extreme caution.