How does this even happen? Package Car Verses Train

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Tragic indeed I just hate to hear stories like that. Railroad tracks need to be treated as intersections and then proceed with extreme caution.
Even more tragic when you personally know the person or people. Distracted driving is the root cause of so many avoidable accidents and when a train is involved it normally ends up devastating.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Police: FedEx truck went around railroad cross arms before crash

That just happened a few weeks ago with a FedEx driver. Except he was an idiot and went around the arm. It was around 1030 so he probably had one 1030 stop left and was trying to make it.
Training and maintaining a driving workforce is extremely deficient here. Oh yeah, the newer drivers get "trained" and we all sign enough paperwork and electronic info to make us liable but it wont keep you or the public alive and safe if the company doesn't personally monitor the actual behavior of their (130,000+) drivers.

Yeah, it's almost always the driver's fault but when someone dies reality may sink in. Or not.

Plant the tree but stake it out until it's strong enough to grow straight on it's own.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
At 330pm?

This accident did happen in the afternoon, it had nothing to do with getting Next Day Airs off on time. I just can't understand how you can drive up to a railroad track and not look both ways before crossing. Trains usually blow their horns approaching intersections. I wonder if the driver was distracted with a radio, phone, or having earbuds in his ears like I see too many drivers do. I know who he is and I'm only speculating on reasons. I'm sure we will hear all about details in Monday's PCM. I cross railroad tracks twice a day, common sense tells me to look both ways.

PT Car Washer

This accident did happen in the afternoon, it had nothing to do with getting Next Day Airs off on time. I just can't understand how you can drive up to a railroad track and not look both ways before crossing. Trains usually blow their horns approaching intersections. I wonder if the driver was distracted with a radio, phone, or having earbuds in his ears like I see too many drivers do. I know who he is and I'm only speculating on reasons. I'm sure we will hear all about details in Monday's PCM. I cross railroad tracks twice a day, common sense tells me to look both ways.
We have to walk across 2 sets of tracks just to get from the employee parking lot to the building.

542thruNthru

It could be a number of things.

The main thing is he's OK from what it sounds like. The next is I hope he keeps his job. The guy screwed up royally but I don't like the saying "professional driver" because of times like these. The company likes to think we recieved some special training that makes us perfect. We get distracted like anyone else on the road. Not trying to make excuses for him just pointing out that we're just regular people like every other driver on the road.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It could be a number of things.

The main thing is he's OK from what it sounds like. The next is I hope he keeps his job. The guy screwed up royally but I don't like the saying "professional driver" because of times like these. The company likes to think we recieved some special training that makes us perfect. We get distracted like anyone else on the road. Not trying to make excuses for him just pointing out that we're just regular people like every other driver on the road.
But better trained and usually with many more driving hours than the average person.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'll be shocked if the company doesn't fire him. Whether or not he gets his job back is gonna depend on things like his accident history and what he was actually doing at the time that led to him being so distracted. If he was wearing earbuds or talking on his cell he's probably toast.

Atlanta News Videos | WSB-TV

Our driver tried to cross a railroad track this afternoon. Train hits package car and drags it 300 feet. No crossarms at crossing, not that it should matter. Driver was talking when pulled out of what was left of the cab. First reports said he was seriously injured, later said he would make full recovery. This guy started in my Center but was transferred to the original Atlanta Hub when some routes were moved around last year.

yeah ik exactly who you’re talkin’ bout

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Better trained. How many average people driving practice Defensive Driving? I know I was trained in them and have taught them to both my kids.
We’re taught how to drive defensively by reading methods and commentaries. As far as behind the wheel training, I’ve received none from UPS. I’m also the best automobile driver this side of the Mississippi, so I’ve never needed it. :raspberry-tounge:

ManInBrown

Atlanta News Videos | WSB-TV

Our driver tried to cross a railroad track this afternoon. Train hits package car and drags it 300 feet. No crossarms at crossing, not that it should matter. Driver was talking when pulled out of what was left of the cab. First reports said he was seriously injured, later said he would make full recovery. This guy started in my Center but was transferred to the original Atlanta Hub when some routes were moved around last year.

runners gonna run

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We’re taught how to drive defensively by reading methods and commentaries. As far as behind the wheel training, I’ve received none from UPS. I’m also the best automobile driver this side of the Mississippi, so I’ve never needed it. :raspberry-tounge:
I got zero hands on training, I think I had to drive around the yard with a sup just to prove I could drive a manual but that was about it. The next day I got handed a map and a set of keys. It's different these days though, these guys all go to integrad so they can't make a credible claim that they haven't been trained.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know how, but I’m a prima-donna and prefer not to.
B46714DC-DF6C-45E6-8C07-CC37C03BA07D.gif

542thruNthru

Better trained. How many average people driving practice Defensive Driving? I know I was trained in them and have taught them to both my kids.

My training consisted of 3 days of being shown the route and diad. All the other training is just "here memorize this paper."

I do agree we do have many more hours on the road than most. That does help but in my eyes in no way makes me a professional.