How does this even happen? Package Car Verses Train

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
@scratch

8211850ReCTD2Su.gif

I have a custom made cedar shoebox! I like to dress sharp, the ladies notice...
fullsizeoutput_4e7.jpeg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Nice box!

I didn't make it, I got it as a Christmas present a few years ago. These are handbuilt in a shoe shop, I got the optional inside storage tray too. I looked all over for one like this, it has a serial number on it and is well crafted. I like cedar for things like this. My dad had a furniture store so I grew up appreciating nice wood. I have a lot of solid cherry furniture in my house.

Shoe Shine Boxes and Shoe Care Products — George's Shoes & Repairs

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I first heard of this accident and where it was located, I thought it was a driver in my Center, it was nearby. But then I saw the first photo and knew it wasn't out of my building in Forest Park because the package car was clean. I know the driver since he started in my Center, but he was moved last year. I used to mentor new drivers but he wasn't one of them. I hope things turn out well for him, he was lucky to live through that.

quad decade guy

Atlanta News Videos | WSB-TV

Our driver tried to cross a railroad track this afternoon. Train hits package car and drags it 300 feet. No crossarms at crossing, not that it should matter. Driver was talking when pulled out of what was left of the cab. First reports said he was seriously injured, later said he would make full recovery. This guy started in my Center but was transferred to the original Atlanta Hub when some routes were moved around last year.

How does any accident ever happen? Just because you are a UPS pkg driver doesn't mean

you are very bright or have common sense. Most accidents are preventable as are injuries. Not

always but mostly. Based on personal experience(40 years) a lot of our co-workers(and here)

dismiss safe work practices and methods as not applying to themselves. Too big a hurry and

too self-important to work safely. That's for other folks. My guess is the driver calculated

how much time a train delay would cost him and gambled. And lost. We really need to

consider mgt's role. They will say always be safe, safety first. But it's much, much more complicated

than that. Guaranteed mgt would question a delay of any length, even at a rr track. We all know.

Perhaps accuse a driver of stealing time. The constant productivity threat can make people

do stupid dangerous things, while hurting themselves or others. How does this happen?

Easy.

iruhnman630

'Our first concern is for the health and well being of our driver '

But tomorrow, he is unemployed.

Sorry, but there is no coming back from this one.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
'Our first concern is for the health and well being of our driver '

But tomorrow, he is unemployed.

Sorry, but there is no coming back from this one.

I know of several instances where my Center Manager fired a driver while he was in the hospital being treated.

clean hairy

Filmed at the Mn. State Fair in front of the grandstands. Always voted one of the best State Fairs in the country. Probably couldn’t get away with that now.
You are the one who filmed this in the late 1800's?
After all, we know you are old!

Bob11B

I'll be shocked if the company doesn't fire him. Whether or not he gets his job back is gonna depend on things like his accident history and what he was actually doing at the time that led to him being so distracted. If he was wearing earbuds or talking on his cell he's probably toast.

If I’m not mistaking, according to the contract we can have an earbud in one ear