How each delivery company trucks are loaded

I have been hearing that UPS has seperate employees who load the trucks then those who make the deliveries. I dont know how DHL does it but I know Fed Ex the drivers load their own trucks. Both Ground and Express. One Fed Ex Ground driver I heard about is Tim. He folds the shelves up in the back of the truck. And it looks as that he stands outside the back of his truck and tosses everything in while he loads his truck. Which to me its easier to sort everything out and place it on the shelves. Since these drivers cannot clock out until they are done making all of their Deliveries. Some UPS drivers are glad they dont load their own trucks and some wish they did load their own trucks. From what I hear most UPS loaders usually do not sort everything before loading it into the trucks. So sometimes the drivers have to make 2 trips to one stop. Fed Ex drivers usually load their own. Most of them sort the packages for each stop they make then place them in the truck so they only have to make 1 stop per location. Unless a package slides down the shelf and the driver over looks it. Which is known to happen.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
i dont see too many fed ex or dhl drivers with a bricked out 500 pc day where im at. if i only had 65 stops i could probably load it myself picture perfect as well.

DS

Fenderbender
I have been hearing that UPS has seperate employees who load the trucks then those who make the deliveries. .
Why do you want to know?For all I know you are a fedEX manager trying to figure out how we can deliver both air and ground at the same time at half the cost while being about 200% more productive.I cant give away the UPS secret of how we sychronize the world of commerce.Stockclerk eh...if you never heard of a preloader
why are you on the browncafe? Maybe you are with the IRS ....:wink:

RGAman

When I was with the grand old RPS (Roadway Package System-under the banner of Roadway Services) we had a preloader come over from UPS. He was terrible, in fact i got so irritated that one night when I came in, I locked up the rear doors and the bulkhead door; and took all the keys home with me.

He got the message, and things improved from that time on.

SmithBarney

They all load pretty much the same.. in stop order (of course premium products go first Next Day Air, Priority Overnights, and whatever DHL calls their service)

My Managers at FedEx Express were amazed that I loaded 3-4 trucks at 200-300+ pieces each
when I was at UPS.. and even more-so about the routes I ran 170 DEL 28 PU 350 pieces
when at UPS... I do however love my 50-80stops and 150piece days at Express now.. 50stop
days are really annoying.. 80stop days are perfect. But keep in mind at Express you pretty
much have to be done delivering(in my area) by 2pm cause Pickups start at 3-5pm and then
packages head out of town at 5:30... Unlike UPS where I didn't have to be back till 6pm, and
then go right back out and keep delivering. Just wish we had a raised belt at Express, I hate loading from the floor..

HA HA of course fedex can load their own trucks. What do they have like ...60-70 stops??? No UPS drivers don't load there trucks, would you want to load 350 stops on a truck?? Then go out for 12 hours and del. all the pkgs. Look, we are the best for a reason. Ha ha, even our out bound routes have more than 70 stops. Fedex...what a joke.

pkg-king

I have been hearing that UPS has seperate employees who load the trucks then those who make the deliveries. I dont know how DHL does it but I know Fed Ex the drivers load their own trucks. Both Ground and Express. One Fed Ex Ground driver I heard about is Tim. He folds the shelves up in the back of the truck. And it looks as that he stands outside the back of his truck and tosses everything in while he loads his truck. Which to me its easier to sort everything out and place it on the shelves. Since these drivers cannot clock out until they are done making all of their Deliveries. Some UPS drivers are glad they dont load their own trucks and some wish they did load their own trucks. From what I hear most UPS loaders usually do not sort everything before loading it into the trucks. So sometimes the drivers have to make 2 trips to one stop. Fed Ex drivers usually load their own. Most of them sort the packages for each stop they make then place them in the truck so they only have to make 1 stop per location. Unless a package slides down the shelf and the driver over looks it. Which is known to happen.

What is so great about the UPS pas system is that as a driver I don't have to sort my truck anymore, our DIAD tells us what stop is next and how many packages we have for that stop and where it is located in the truck, no going back to stops, they're all delivered the first time.

brown bomber

brown bomber
that's if you can find all of the pkgs. for that stop...I still have to sort every section...the pkgs. are loaded in that section, HOWEVER..they are in absolutely no order

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx Express has a new system they're rolling-out called ROADS, which will eventually route packages in stop order. Right now, it just assigns a route number to the pkg, and it's full of bugs that create a lot of errors. They're trying it out in numerous markets before they implement it system-wide.Eventually, it will put the pkgs in "perfect" order and supposedly eliminate 4,000 courier positions. Drivers will still load their own trucks.
One thing that UPS people don't understand is that FedEx stops vary pretty widely every day and that our areas are generally a lot bigger than yours.That's why we don't have pre-loaders. Sure, the stop counts are lower, but 1 FedEx driver might cover the same territory as 2 or 3 UPS drivers. My area has 4 UPS drivers in it, and I run my ass off every day even though my stop counts pale in comparison to yours. 50% of my pick-ups are "on-call", unlike my UPS contemporaries, who have a much higher percentage of "house stops". The customer can specify any time they want to be picked-up as long as it isn't past cut-off. A bunch of stops not ready until 4:00 can really ruin your day.
While FedEx can be a joke , a lot of our people are former UPS'ers, and they say that FedEx is just as tough in many ways. The big difference is the physical factor, since lower stop counts and fewer pkgs are easier on the body. The stress is pretty much the same...run like a dog and keep a big smile on your face for the customer.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

What is so great about the UPS pas system is that as a driver I don't have to sort my truck anymore, our DIAD tells us what stop is next and how many packages we have for that stop and where it is located in the truck, no going back to stops, they're all delivered the first time.

Wow! Most of our drivers, including myself, are experiencing the opposite scenario.

SmithBarney

Babooba... with those pictures your showing FedEx doing work, and two idle tools.. hrmm..

J/k
I've heard about the ROADS system or something like it for express, when the olympics were here in UTAH there were tons of tickets and docs delivered daily they ended up
getting numbered 1-whatever and they just delivered in order.. dunno so far the volume
is never so great that its impossible to load.

At UPS I believe there were some smaller centers that were "driver preload". The drivers loaded their own package cars and of course had smaller routes and were done by 3pm. However, with the implementation of PAS, the "driver preload" centers were converted to regular preloads.

brownrodster

It would be impossible for most UPS drivers to load their own truck.

Our preload runs between 5-7 hours per day. Then our drivers work about 10 hours or more per day.

Drivers can work a maximum of 60 hours per week.

FedEx2000

The main problem with FedEx's "ROADS" is that customers don't enter a proper street address. They put a business name or a PO Box where a physical street address is supposed to be and that causes a problem with the automatic routing. If only there was a program to fix stupidity..........

Improper addressed packages, PO Box, incomplete addresses, so on and so on...samey samey.

Your ROADS is pretty much the same as our PAS. There is no way either system can every produce a prefect load, the technology and data bases used aren't perfect.

jchisolm2

I left after 3 years as a driver wit UPS two years ago I was 2nd in senority on my side of the building , we have a dual center North and South , peak season came and I went to lowest on that list of senority , I drove maybe 1 week from April to November of 2007 , talk about income that sucked went form $1100 a week to about $500, Hope my new job works out , Monday thru Friday 7 am to 3:30 pm

A

Anonymous 7

Did any of you catch that link about the Teamsters trying to organize the DHL contractor drivers in the Sacramento, CA area? They tried to organize Airborne contractor drivers several years ago when I drove for a contractor in Southern California. The contractors all got together and showed us a video and gave us other information about going union (of which I already knew). The Teamsters pulled out because another Airborne location's drivers gave a thumbs down to going union. The Teamsters were only there to represent themselves, not any drivers for contractors! It's all about making a buck, at the expense (or should I say ignorance) of the driver's emotions. The contractors only get paid per driver, per stop and per package. The contractors don't have deep pockets, and a lot of the contractors have issues pertaining to ethics, integrity and manners. True, Airborne/DHL is ignorant for thinking that they can get miracles at minimum wage, and they (like all employers) deserve to get what they pay for. I drive for FedEx Express now, and it's great! I no longer cry when I look at my payckeck, like I used to back in the Airborne/DHL days. As for the comments about DHL driver's personal hygeine, it's sometimes true. If a DHL driver smells like they failed to use toilet paper, here are some insights. They may be under so much stress that they suffer from what's medically known as "stress incontinence"; and it's not funny. Others have incontinence because of drug addiction, and DHL does not require the contractors to screen thier drivers. Oh they love to display the urine specimen cups out on the dock where the drivers can see them, but I think DHL legally cannot force the contractors to screen. It's just intimidation.