How is the Inside Building Rate determined for a Full Time package car driver

They might not have that requirement, if they have that language at all. The question he really had was about his pay rate. Sounds like they were over paying him sometimes, unless he was doing a job that would pay $39 at his seniority level.
@Brett W Foley what jobs have you been doing? And do any of them have a pay scale that would account for the difference? If not, you may want to inform UPS of the overpayment so they don't come after you for it later.
I've been working the preload in the morning, loading trucks. And then I come back in the evening and work the local sort, unloading package cars until I get my 8 hrs. guaranteed. I have mentioned may pay rate or showed a full time sup. every week (13 and counting). Most recently I had the preload friend.T. sup put an inquiry into time and labor. They sent an email saying" employee is in 6th stage progression and should make top scale package car driver rate". I have no idea what "6th stage progression" is and it was agreed on b/w my center manager, labor manager, business agent,and me that I would be paid inside building rate

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I've been working the preload in the morning, loading trucks. And then I come back in the evening and work the local sort, unloading package cars until I get my 8 hrs. guaranteed. I have mentioned may pay rate or showed a full time sup. every week (13 and counting). Most recently I had the preload friend.T. sup put an inquiry into time and labor. They sent an email saying" employee is in 6th stage progression and should make top scale package car driver rate". I have no idea what "6th stage progression" is and it was agreed on b/w my center manager, labor manager, business agent,and me that I would be paid inside building rate

Our top rate at the start of this new contract was $30.64 for full time inside employees. With the 2018 GWI of $0.70, and 2019 of $0.75, I would assume the current FT inside rate is $32.09/hr.

What did your BA say at the panel meeting?
My understanding is that in 710, a revoked license for DUI gives management grounds to terminate, if the union cannot stall long enough for you to regain your license.

If that were to be the case, and the center manager is doing you a solid by not getting rid of you, it might be wise to just suck it up with the lower pay rate rather than risking your job.

Well done. Though was he assessed by a SAP professional? He needs to contact his BA. This all was decided at panel.
Yes I did go to a SAP, completed the recommended treatment, have successfully passed 1 alcohol and drug test One other point worth noting is, according to our contract" if the company pays employee$50.00 or more ups has 2 days to make it up....I've been keeping records of all checks, dates I've said something to sup's and center manager about being shorted on weekly checks, etc. Just the penalty pay is $10, 814. Now I realize that would not go over well for me in the long run, just wondering how you would proceed or how much I should force the issue? Thanks

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Yes I did go to a SAP, completed the recommended treatment, have successfully passed 1 alcohol and drug test One other point worth noting is, according to our contract" if the company pays employee$50.00 or more ups has 2 days to make it up....I've been keeping records of all checks, dates I've said something to sup's and center manager about being shorted on weekly checks, etc. Just the penalty pay is $10, 814. Now I realize that would not go over well for me in the long run, just wondering how you would proceed or how much I should force the issue? Thanks

Article 3.5:
Shortages involving more than fifty dollars ($50.00) for full-time employees and twenty five dollars ($25.00) for part-time employees will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee's second scheduled workday, and the shortage was the result of the Employer's error, the employee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected. ...

I highly doubt you'll see a dime of that money, though. Or if you did, you'd be getting it as a severance package.

Our top rate at the start of this new contract was $30.64 for full time inside employees. With the 2018 GWI of $0.70, and 2019 of $0.75, I would assume the current FT inside rate is $32.09/hr.

What did your BA say at the panel meeting?
My understanding is that in 710, a revoked license for DUI gives management grounds to terminate, if the union cannot stall long enough for you to regain your license.

If that were to be the case, and the center manager is doing you a solid by not getting rid of you, it might be wise to just suck it up with the lower pay rate rather than risking your job.
You are correct in that UPS could have terminated me, which they did for about 6months. We were going to take it to arbitration, and BA and labor manager worked out a "deal" stating I am guaranteed 8hr/day, inside building rate, until I get my license back. I could care less about the back pay and penalty pay, I just want to know what I am supposed to get for the mutually agreed inside building rate.

I was under the impression to figure my inside building rate, take the rate of my last part time work, add the yearly and contractual raises and that =inside building rate. Yes or no?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I was under the impression to figure my inside building rate, take the rate of my last part time work, add the yearly and contractual raises and that =inside building rate. Yes or no?

No, I don't think so.
That would be for a part timer. Full timers inside the building DO have a top rate, and as you are guaranteed full time hours, I would assume you would fall under that.
That's under Art 3, Section 1.D.

That would be the roughly 32 ish an hour I put in up above. Assuming my math was correct.
It's definitely an interesting situation though. You should definitely ask your BA, as I might be barking up the wrong tree completely.

Package Stick

"Send it."
I am in a somewhat unique situation, I am a full time package car driver making top scale. My license is currently revoked b/c of a DUI.After a local level hearing (failed)a panel level grievance hearings, it was agreed upon that I would be able to work the preload and local sort to get my guaranteed 8 hrs./ day until I get my license back. I am supposed to get my "inside building rate" while doing this work. How is the inside building rate determined?I have almost 15 yrs of service, Part Time Seniority Date is September 2005 , Full Time Seniority is November 2010. I ve been back for 13 weeks, and my hourly pay rate has been different every week, $14.18/hr to $39.42 / hr. It makes no sense to me or anyone else. From local 710 thanks
DON'T GET ANOTHER DUI. We have/had a guy just like you, he would :censored2: with management (yelling at them lol, etc) and got termed for another DUI. Haven't seen him in 4 months lmao.