How Large is Your Hub?

brownrodster

Can anyone tell me what's the diference between a district and a division manager? Which one is higher up the food chain? What's the dif between a district and a division? I don't have a clue what any management above on road supervisor does...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
District Manager is the Big Guy. Think in terms of somebody in charge of the whole state. The Region Manager is over him, as in charge of a section of the country. A Division Manager is the step above Center Manager. He will be over a Hub or two and a handful of Centers. At least thats the way it is here.

rod

Retired 22 years
District Manager is the Big Guy. Think in terms of somebody in charge of the whole state. The Region Manager is over him, as in charge of a section of the country. A Division Manager is the step above Center Manager. He will be over a Hub or two and a handful of Centers. At least thats the way it is here.
seriously - is anybody in charge:happy2:

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
Can anyone tell me what's the diference between a district and a division manager? Which one is higher up the food chain? What's the dif between a district and a division? I don't have a clue what any management above on road supervisor does...

Region mgr
district mgr
division mgr
mgr (center mgr)
full time supervisor(oncar, preload, hub)
part time

the main difference, is the pay most of them are useless:peaceful:

pkgdriver

1. District

2. Division-Our Div mgr oversees 3 or 4 centers I think ,used to be 2 centers.

3. Center

UPS Lifer

CACH - Chicago Area Consolidated Hub is by far the largest hub. It is a magnificent building to see. It is 3.5 miles to walk around the outside. It is a district all by itself.
There is an entire Senior Staff that reports to the District Mgr. Each operation shift is run by a Division Mgr and each part of the operation (unload-small sort-load-feeder-contol room) is run by a manager. There are over 100 mule shifters and we unload & load the rail cars straight off the trains which pull right into the UPS yard.

If there is a jam on a belt or a breakdown - the packages are re-routed electronically to other belts that are designed to bypass the breakdown or jam. College classes are offered on property to keep the retention up.

SDF is the largest air hub.

Ontario California has 8 sorts -24 hours a day - 2 to 3 sorts running at the same time air - ground and international as well as a freight operation all on the same property. This does not count the Ramp operation which loads/unloads the planes. There are 16 to 17 PDs and 15 different run out belts that can be duel utilized for unloading or loading any type of UPS ULD - cans - package cars - feeders - bob tails - battleships. Each belt can be sent to a sort isle or reversed for load independently of any other belt.

There are 3 operational division managers during peak AM and PM operations

I don't know for sure but I think Ontario ranks behind SDF in size.

Southeast Cal is the third largest district in the country due to Ontario and Grande Vista hubs. Grande Vista feeds the preloads for all 3 Districts in Southern California.

Pollocknbrown

stupid question why is an air hub in ontario CA the largest? i thought GreatLane was? GreatLane makes more sense since its in the middle of the country basically

It's Grade Lane aka the Louisville air hub. I'm guessing that Grade Lane is the name of the road that it's on?

He's not claiming Ontario is the largest. He's just saying it processes more than just air volume, such as ground, freight and international. Louisville is strictly air volume from what I understand.

While on the subject of air hubs, the Americas region has a nice air/gateway hub at MIA. It has a huge refrigerated warehouse since flowers are a big commodity through that hub. It's not the biggest, but it is the gateway to the Caribbean, Central and South America so there is heavy flight traffic.

UPS Lifer

I don't know Greatlane. never heard of it. I know that CACH is by far the largest hub as I stated above. Is Greatlane another name for CACH? Ohhhh! You mean Grade Lane in Louisville!!! Correct? SDF is what the air group calls Grade Lane. It is the largest air hub and with the additions could come real close to CACH. I will not dispute those two as the 2 Largest UPS facilities.

Ontario is the gateway hub to the Pac Rim feeding Hono and Anchorage. It feeds the West for all air and feeds the rest of the country with most of Southern Calif air volume. It feeds most of SoCal's air volume inbound also. It is in a trade free zone because of it's location within the LA Airport system jurisdiction which enhances the amount of ground volume it processes. Companies that operate and warehouse within this zone get many tax advantages so it is a magnet for large companies such as BMW, Chrysler, Cardinal Healthcare etc.etc.

The Ontario Airport ramp & hub operations supports 3 districts.

pretzel_man

CACH has 127 unload doors as I recall, and 1000 outbounds. As was said, its the biggest ground hub and can run well about 125,000 packages per hour. The purpose of the CACH hub was to reduce hub handlings.

Before CACH, most packages had to be sorted 2 or more times to get to the destination. With CACH, a load is made for CACH with a big mix of packages. CACH could then make a load that goes direct to the destination center. That's why it has 1000 outbounds. That's also why it had to be automated. No person could remember every 5 digit split in the united states.

Louisville, is the same concept for air. Louisville is now called Worldport. (GradeLane is a different hub very near Worldport, but not the same.

Worldport can run over 300,000 packages per hour today. It is currently being expanded. When the expansion is complete, Worldport will be able to run over 500,000 packages per hour.

These really are impressive engineering achievements.

P-Man

360waves

Wow this is some great info guys..Kind of scary about the automatic sorting business though..Im a sorter..if they ever automated the hub im in i would be in trouble lol..

Pollocknbrown

CACH has 127 unload doors as I recall, and 1000 outbounds. As was said, its the biggest ground hub and can run well about 125,000 packages per hour. The purpose of the CACH hub was to reduce hub handlings.

Before CACH, most packages had to be sorted 2 or more times to get to the destination. With CACH, a load is made for CACH with a big mix of packages. CACH could then make a load that goes direct to the destination center. That's why it has 1000 outbounds. That's also why it had to be automated. No person could remember every 5 digit split in the united states.

Louisville, is the same concept for air. Louisville is now called Worldport. (GradeLane is a different hub very near Worldport, but not the same.

Worldport can run over 300,000 packages per hour today. It is currently being expanded. When the expansion is complete, Worldport will be able to run over 500,000 packages per hour.

These really are impressive engineering achievements.

P-Man

500K an hr, thats nuts, Buffalo shuts down when they try to do 30K lol. Kinda comical, the unloaders blow it out, and shut down the building and we go on break early, personally i dont get why they'd want to work faster since they aren't salaried.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We disptach about 200 routes per day out of a building that was theoretically designed with 124 parking spaces but is adequate for maybe 100. Our facility was built "on the cheap" in 1987, and was obsolete and overcrowded 6 months before it was even completed. It was never designed to allow P1000's to park inside....to save money they just operated under the fantasy that all we would ever use were P6's. Future growth was never planned for. All of our package cars have scrapes on them because they are parked so close together as to be touching. We have conveyer belts instead of boxlines, so when bulk stops come down the belt there is NOWHERE to put them. A few routes have stack tables, but if two P1000 routes are parked facing each other only one can have a stack table or they will be bumper to bumper and unable to get out. Our center has 85 drivers, and our "dispatch office" is slightly larger than a broom closet, one little 8'x10' room with another tiny office for the Center Manager that is so small that you can barely fit chairs in there next to the desk. The "locker room"? 40 lockers in a 6X8 closet with two toilets. Most driver dont even have a locker at all. Its comforting to know that our management's solution to the overcrowded conditions is to encourage us to solicit even MORE volume to drown in.

C

cachacold

CACH - Chicago Area Consolidated Hub is by far the largest hub. It is a magnificent building to see. It is 3.5 miles to walk around the outside. It is a district all by itself.
There is an entire Senior Staff that reports to the District Mgr. Each operation shift is run by a Division Mgr and each part of the operation (unload-small sort-load-feeder-contol room) is run by a manager. There are over 100 mule shifters and we unload & load the rail cars straight off the trains which pull right into the UPS yard.

If there is a jam on a belt or a breakdown - the packages are re-routed electronically to other belts that are designed to bypass the breakdown or jam. College classes are offered on property to keep the retention up.

Cach is actually 1.5 miles around, we only have one incompetant fool(sorry, I mean division mgr) for the feeder division,there are over a 100 shifters but we get some of our loads from the BNSF yard next door,it does not enter the yard.

As far as electronically rerouting pkgs,that was how it was dreamed but it failed miserably and now it is done manually. If the problem is big enough a complete switch of wings is needed which is why 2 of the 10 wings of the building(1 per end) are unused on a daily basis.

Colledge classes are only offered if the class is related to a career at UPS. It doesn`t help retention as turn over is very high,I belive Iraqi suicide bombers have a longer career span.

200 unload doors, 174 used.
1058 outbound doors,80% are used.
500+ feeder drivers btween 705 and 710.
5000 or so part timers.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Cach is actually 1.5 miles around, we only have one incompetant fool(sorry, I mean division mgr) for the feeder division,there are over a 100 shifters but we get some of our loads from the BNSF yard next door,it does not enter the yard.

As far as electronically rerouting pkgs,that was how it was dreamed but it failed miserably and now it is done manually. If the problem is big enough a complete switch of wings is needed which is why 2 of the 10 wings of the building(1 per end) are unused on a daily basis.

Colledge classes are only offered if the class is related to a career at UPS. It doesn`t help retention as turn over is very high,I belive Iraqi suicide bombers have a longer career span.

200 unload doors, 174 used.
1058 outbound doors,80% are used.
500+ feeder drivers btween 705 and 710.
5000 or so part timers.

Interesting, all automated and they still need 5000 part-timers.