How long does it take?

jlphotog

This past week I was involved in a "tier 3 accident".

I don't want to go into details of the accident, but, there were no injuries, I was NOT at fault and I know 100% for sure it was unavoidable. However the decision has not come down yet on which way UPS is going to go on it. I was kinda hoping to know before the weekend but that didn't happen.

How long do these things usually take?

They wasted no time in giving me a safety ride and they know that UPS dropped the ball in many many ways on this one. Again I don't want to go into details but I do believe my supe got in major kaka for the way this was handled.

Oh by the way, my center manager told me he is really pushing to get this declared unavoidable, but it is out of his hands.

The ironic thing here is, I was just handed my 1 year safe driving award two weeks ago.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

I don't want to go into details of the accident, but, there were no injuries, I was NOT at fault and I know 100% for sure it was unavoidable. However the decision has not come down yet on which way UPS is going to go on it. I was kinda hoping to know before the weekend but that didn't happen.

They wasted no time in giving me a safety ride and they know that UPS dropped the ball in many many ways on this one. Again I don't want to go into details but I do believe my supe got in major kaka for the way this was handled.

Oh by the way, my center manager told me he is really pushing to get this declared unavoidable, but it is out of his hands.

The ironic thing here is, I was just handed my 1 year safe driving award two weeks ago.

I don't think it will take long. I've never been involved in a vehicular accident in the course of my work. My personal experience is 1-3 weeks for the insurance carriers to decide who was at fault. However, in the case of UPS, I would think it would be substantially less--as in a week.

Why would your center manager be pushing it one way or another?? I'm just curious there.

Feels good to know somebody above you got in :censored2: for not doing their job, doesn't it? Been in the same position, friend--at UPS and elsewhere. Good luck and let us know how goes! -Rocky

jlphotog

Why would your center manager be pushing it one way or another?? I'm just curious there.

I don't know exactly why, I'm guessing that he can see from my description of the accident and the scene that it truly was unavoidable. Plus he is a good guy. ( and no that is not a suck up move)

over9five

Staff member
Of course the center manager is 'pushing' for your accident to be declared unavoidable! Otherwise, his center budget gets charged a couple thousand bucks.

(It's not cause he likes you)

Griff

Good luck with getting an unavoidable accident these days. In my district it is impossible to have an unavoidable accident. Even if a meteor fell from the sky and landed on the truck, they claim you should have got out of the way.

Channahon

Cost charged to the centers for accidents are based on the severity of the accident. Tier 1 are least expense and Tier 3 the most expense. The expense is charged to the center, regardless if the accident is avoidable or not.

In the case of Tier 3's there is always the possibility of lawsuits and settlements.

At least that is how it worked 1 1/2 years ago, while I was still at UPS. And the expense for accidents generally increase year by year, thanks to litigation.

jlphotog

Well, either things have changed in the last year and a half or things are different up here in Canada. I was told by my center manager that it is a tier 3 accident because it was at an intersection. And the only expense UPS incurred as far as my PC goes was the price of two bolts and an hour of the mechanics time.

Then there was also the expense of sending a supe out with me for a day and the price of multiple phone calls between the center and corporate and of course the center manager's time for that.

The other guy ran a stop sign and we live north of the 49th parallel so the chance of him suing UPS is nill.

jlphotog

You didn't clear the intersection before proceeding through it. Avoidable. I'd put money on it they'll say that.

Not exactly the case, there were a lot of extenuating circumstances in this one. Like I said I really don't want to go into detail on a public forum until it is all said and done

browniehound

What I want to know is how a center's budget can be charged $30,000 when it was clearly the other driver's fault. Avoidable or not, if the other driver is at fault why would UPS have to pay $30,000?

I hear all intersection accidents are avoidable, but say you approach the intersection and look L,R and by the time you look left again the guy is already past the stop line and nails the ass-end of your package car. How is this our fault and how could this be avoidable and why should UPS have to pay $30,000 when WE were the ones that goy hit?

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

705red

Browncafe Steward

The good thing is your working so you can not be terminated for this accident. Now get with your safety chair (union) and push it, hopefully your union is aggressive and can argue it for you.

A

Anonymous GearJammer

We had a package car driver involved in intersection accident where other driver ran the red light and they declared it avoidable. It was in the cities with large buildings on all the street corners therefore blocking the view of cross traffic. Company said he failed to clear the intersection, that he should have slowed way down and even stopped if necessary to clear the intersection. Here it is required of management to ride with every driver the next work day after any accident, even if your package car was hit while parked.

brown67

What I want to know is how a center's budget can be charged $30,000 when it was clearly the other driver's fault. Avoidable or not, if the other driver is at fault why would UPS have to pay $30,000?

I hear all intersection accidents are avoidable, but say you approach the intersection and look L,R and by the time you look left again the guy is already past the stop line and nails the ass-end of your package car. How is this our fault and how could this be avoidable and why should UPS have to pay $30,000 when WE were the ones that goy hit?

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Just had a driver fired for this kind of accident. Kid was doing 55 in a 25 residential neighborhood. 4 way stop and the kid ran the stop sign. Car hit tail end of truck, spun it into the curb, and truck turned over. Police gave ticket to the kid. UPS fired driver for not clearing intersection. He said he did and that the car was over a block away when he looked. Not sure why, but they timed how fast it took him to look L,R,L. Said it took him over 1 second and that was too slow. What? Never heard that before. Driver is still gone trying to get job back and may have to sue.

govols019

You smell that?
management to ride with every driver the next work day after any accident

They had to ride with me the day after I had an allergic reaction to a bee sting. Surprised they didn't try to fire me.

Channahon

Well, either things have changed in the last year and a half or things are different up here in Canada. I was told by my center manager that it is a tier 3 accident because it was at an intersection. And the only expense UPS incurred as far as my PC goes was the price of two bolts and an hour of the mechanics time.

Then there was also the expense of sending a supe out with me for a day and the price of multiple phone calls between the center and corporate and of course the center manager's time for that.

The other guy ran a stop sign and we live north of the 49th parallel so the chance of him suing UPS is nill.

Intersections are Tier 3 accidents, the expense for the cost statement is not for repair to your vehicle or the sup riding with you. It is a set amount of money put aside and held in the event of lawsuits or settlements.

Now things may be different in Canada.

Based on the repair to your package car, damage is very minimal. And you were probably not at fault, but that doesn't mean the other party will not try to get something out of UPS. You know Big Brown - Big Pockets.

I got in a tier 3 acident in January (head on) I was going about 5 or 10 mph and car slid down a windy slope and hit dead center. I saw him coming but was in control until the last second. Was called unavoidable, center was charged with tier 3 accident.

jlphotog

The good thing is your working so you can not be terminated for this accident. Now get with your safety chair (union) and push it, hopefully your union is aggressive and can argue it for you.

There was talk the following morning about a one day suspension. I reminded them that the law around here say that because I showed up for work, that means they must pay me for three hours and the contract says four.

The center manager, a visiting center manager, corporate and myself then had a 10 minute conversation. I was then asked to leave the management team to discuss it further. About 15 minutes later one of them came out of the office and said good news, no suspension, just a safety ride. I then had to go find a jump seat for my P5 which was not an easy task as all other drivers had left the building already. I had to wait a little longer for a supe to get into his browns. While all this was going on I informed everyone in management I could find that I would have late air. They all seemed to understand. I didn't get out of the building until 08:45 while all other drivers left around 07:50 that day. Unfortunately I did not have any late air.

So far I have not been able to get in touch with the union guy, but I have talked to a couple of very senior drivers and got some advise from them.

broncobros1

So I assume it is absolutely impossible to take any responsibility for your actions...it is always the Company's fault. The training was not good enough; the equipment, etc... If it is a Tier 3, there is probably something that you could have done to minimize the damage. How about taking your actions in to account....?