How long to become a driver

Union worker

I have two sons, both college students working part time for UPS. One works at the Parsippany NJ building, and one works at the Willow Grove PA building. They are both thinking about possibly driving, but the length of time it takes to drive seems to be different at both of these locations. Does anyone know the general length of time it could take to become a driver at either of these locations? Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is no way that anyone on this forum can give you a definitive or even ball park answer to your question.

Most of the college kids that I have met have the ability to ask all on their own.

Box Ox

Too many factors in regard to drivers retiring, firings, resignations, and who is actually qualified to drive.

In general, the climb up the part time seniority list is a pretty slow one. At the same time, I'm seeing fewer part timers wanting to go full time because of the improving economy. They know they're happier with their second gigs than they would be driving. So that might be a factor too.

If you're waiting to go full time, best not to think about it. Could be soon or years away. In the meantime, you've got an excercise program that pays you to work out.

My parents were probably curious how long I'd have to be a low paid 3am belt monkey after having gone through college, etc. Especially since it took quite a while for me to go FT and make the real $. You want your kid to be happy and successful, right? So I can't blame you for being curious too.

Cementups

Box Monkey
@Parcel Dad It turns out the people I know are fast to respond. Willow Grove is pretty much an immediate hire for drivers. Tell your son to look for or ask HR where there might be a list to signup to drive. They seem to be in need of drivers according to my contacts.

Too many factors in regard to drivers retiring, firings, resignations, and who is actually qualified to drive.

In general, the climb up the part time seniority list is a pretty slow one. At the same time, I'm seeing fewer part timers wanting to go full time because of the improving economy. They know they're happier with their second gigs than they would be driving. So that might be a factor too.

If you're waiting to go full time, best not to think about it. Could be soon or years away. In the meantime, you've got an excercise program that pays you to work out.

My parents were probably curious how long I'd have to be a low paid 3am belt monkey after having gone through college, etc. Especially since it took quite a while for me to go FT and make the real $. You want your kid to be happy and successful, right? So I can't blame you for being curious too.
39 years PT here and I think my parents have accepted that I am not looking for a FT job.

I made driver in just 9 months. Just depends on what bid you sign and who else is on the bid. I went from 7th on my bid to the only one that qualified. Tell your boys to sign every intent sheet they can find if they want to make it a career

Union worker

@Parcel Dad It turns out the people I know are fast to respond. Willow Grove is pretty much an immediate hire for drivers. Tell your son to look for or ask HR where there might be a list to signup to drive. They seem to be in need of drivers according to my contacts.
Thank you Cementups! I will certainly pass that info on to them!

Union worker

I made driver in just 9 months. Just depends on what bid you sign and who else is on the bid. I went from 7th on my bid to the only one that qualified. Tell your boys to sign every intent sheet they can find if they want to make it a career
I will tell them, and thank you to all who responded! I appreciate the feedback!

brownshortbus

just depend on center like mention, from personal exp. this is what happened with me. i work as preloader for 4yrs. ended up leaving for 11 months for a better paying job, received a call at the 12th month asking for me to come back and work local sort will still having my other job, I worked about 2.5 yrs after returning and started as a cover driver and within 1yr of being a cover i made full time and after 1 yr being full-time i won a bid to have m own route :) no more swinging. so if u add it all up it was about 6-8 yrs. but with the break i had it didn't seem that long

I have two sons, both college students working part time for UPS. One works at the Parsippany NJ building, and one works at the Willow Grove PA building. They are both thinking about possibly driving, but the length of time it takes to drive seems to be different at both of these locations. Does anyone know the general length of time it could take to become a driver at either of these locations? Thanks![/QUO

Parsippany sucks!!! They lie to you about starting driver training. All the management does is curse at you!! The union is useless!! Supervisors ask bad employees (loaders) that just make a year if they want to be a driver send them to school and the loader wasn't even on a bid list!!! ITS A FACT!!!! It's all bull!! Never saw anything like it!! Screwup move up!! That's what Parsippany is all about!!! Work hard do whatever they ask you to do try to be a good employee and what do they do screw you!! Don't trust anyone there!!!!!