How many injuries is too many? On Topic (long) please help

SSDD

5 reported injuries in the last 5 days.

Look at it from my perspective. There were a lot of injuries at the tail end of peak and it just never stopped. I see a few people here and there on TAW and/or eventually comp. Then I get hurt. Over the next few weeks my friends are getting hurt. Now one of "the boys" got injured and is in hospital. I used to work with her and got injured in the same area (our second belt has a death trap right before the end).

I didn't come here to waste your guys time or mine. Something has to change at my center and we are all at wits end and now all getting hurt and it's going down the toilet bad. It's only a matter of time until the inevitable happens and it's gonna suck.

There are injured parties in 4 different areas of our preload. It is getting bad, and not only is my injury affecting my business, it's hurting my friends and brothers and.. well, buddies. This is not acceptable and if it was happening to some of you posting in this thread you'd be upset seeking help, too.

Box Ox

5 reported injuries in the last 5 days.

Look at it from my perspective. There were a lot of injuries at the tail end of peak and it just never stopped. I see a few people here and there on TAW and/or eventually comp. Then I get hurt. Over the next few weeks my friends are getting hurt. Now one of "the boys" got injured and is in hospital. I used to work with her and got injured in the same area (our second belt has a death trap right before the end).

I didn't come here to waste your guys time or mine. Something has to change at my center and we are all at wits end and now all getting hurt and it's going down the toilet bad. It's only a matter of time until the inevitable happens and it's gonna suck.

There are injured parties in 4 different areas of our preload. It is getting bad, and not only is my injury affecting my business, it's hurting my friends and brothers and.. well, buddies. This is not acceptable and if it was happening to some of you posting in this thread you'd be upset seeking help, too.

Alright. Well, have OSHA come in and bring the house down since the Company is unresponsive. Which would take some grade A morons in management to achieve.

There are always dangers at UPS. But you should never be legitimately afraid to come to work due to real risk of serious injury.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Read through Article 18. For any of these accidents that are being caused by faulty equipment, the article outlines the steps to be taken for addressing those issues. The Union needs to be stepping up and ensuring that happens. Injuries caused by supervisors' actions wherein no disciplinary action is taken against the supervisor should be reported to the alert line so HR can investigate. The Union should be requesting copies of all accident reports and following up with management in addressing safety related issues that can be fixed.

If all that fails to get management to fix whatever problems there may be, then go to OSHA, and yes, use your names. Any disciplinary action by the company for filing a complaint with OSHA would fall under retaliation, which is covered under article 37. Not to mention the OSHA regulations and other federal statutes that protect whistle blowers.

I wonder how much of this might be directly linked to the suspension of the union members' participation in safety committees...

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Only runner/gunners get hurt around here , running 2 hours under and being “the best” is all fun and games until you get hurt or crash.

THERE IS NO TIME COMMIT ON SAFETY

UPS Preloader

Roughly half have been reported from what I've been told.

How am I supposed to know if corporate is getting on management? The only thing I know management-wise is our center manager is coming in 5 hours early every day and always in meetings. That's the only unusual thing.

I've been talking to injured workers seeking advice here and reporting everything and not signing SWM's etc without our steward present.

They keep threatening injured workers who drink the koolaid. Of course it's always the "employee's fault" on these "incidents", because "an accident means no one is to blame".

Do we all have to include our contact information? Or names and phone numbers? Signatures? Some are afraid the information provided to OSHA will come back to bite them and cost them their jobs.

Until the end of the month, every building should have the 2017 OSHA 300 log posted somewhere in the building. In addition, you can request a copy of the 2018 OSHA 300 log. If you look at the log, you will probably see that many of the injuries are not being reported to OSHA. If you can prove that they are not being reported, (I.e., you can prove that there were more injuries.) you should report it OSHA and they Will come in and do investigation. At that point, not only will things improve, UPS will be fined.

UPS Preloader

Do we all have to include our contact information? Or names and phone numbers? Signatures? Some are afraid the information provided to OSHA will come back to bite them and cost them their jobs.

The person filing a complaint with OSHA does need to provide their name on the complaint, but they can request to remain anonymous as far as UPS goes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Read through Article 18. For any of these accidents that are being caused by faulty equipment, the article outlines the steps to be taken for addressing those issues. The Union needs to be stepping up and ensuring that happens. Injuries caused by supervisors' actions wherein no disciplinary action is taken against the supervisor should be reported to the alert line so HR can investigate. The Union should be requesting copies of all accident reports and following up with management in addressing safety related issues that can be fixed.

If all that fails to get management to fix whatever problems there may be, then go to OSHA, and yes, use your names. Any disciplinary action by the company for filing a complaint with OSHA would fall under retaliation, which is covered under article 37. Not to mention the OSHA regulations and other federal statutes that protect whistle blowers.

I wonder how much of this might be directly linked to the suspension of the union members' participation in safety committees...

...or to the fertile mind of a bored member...

El Correcto

god is dead
Don’t get why you even ask if you should call OSHA. If this situation is real it seems OSHA should absolutely be involved. They clearly don’t respect the need for safety and are failing in their main job, part timers and supervisors.

El Correcto

god is dead
I mean come on a supervisor breaks a part timers back and someone almost died. You see nothing changing? I don’t believe this is real just because you are asking if you should call OSHA.

El Correcto

god is dead
I’ve called OSHA twice and the UPS hotline multiple times, I’ve never done so anonymously. They already prefer others over me to put it nicely. I’m still here don’t be scared to report their asses. File when they retaliate and then file some more.

SSDD

Thank you and others for taking time out of your day to assist. Our steward and union rep are always super keen on safety and protecting us. Then toward the end of peak and definitely recently there has been a lot of... I don't want to say not caring they certainly care... but more of a hands-off like they want to say "there's nothing we can do" without saying it.

Five people five days in a row. People are "rattling their swords". Don't forget, a lot of people in preload live paycheck to paycheck, and whenever someone goes to the food bank and brings leftovers in, they are gone by break. There are people very afraid of losing their jobs despite the article and subsections protecting us.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I'll print out copies of the master agreement and slip them to people or email/text. It's outrageous we are on a skeleton crew because people are (in some cases) seriously harmed.

I'm sorry for coming off like an a-hole, but I can't stand this anymore and I'm in a ton of pain myself. I can't and won't stand for this. We warned them for months over this and it looks like the inevitable happened in some areas.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
E75E0600-B378-4C4C-B849-AE69012D2ACA.gif
Thank you and others for taking time out of your day to assist. Our steward and union rep are always super keen on safety and protecting us. Then toward the end of peak and definitely recently there has been a lot of... I don't want to say not caring they certainly care... but more of a hands-off like they want to say "there's nothing we can do" without saying it.

Five people five days in a row. People are "rattling their swords". Don't forget, a lot of people in preload live paycheck to paycheck, and whenever someone goes to the food bank and brings leftovers in, they are gone by break. There are people very afraid of losing their jobs despite the article and subsections protecting us.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I'll print out copies of the master agreement and slip them to people or email/text. It's outrageous we are on a skeleton crew because people are (in some cases) seriously harmed.

I'm sorry for coming off like an a-hole, but I can't stand this anymore and I'm in a ton of pain myself. I can't and won't stand for this. We warned them for months over this and it looks like the inevitable happened in some areas.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Look at it this way, you risk losing your job (you won't) by fighting for a safe workplace. Or you can risk your health and ability to continue doing the job by doing nothing, and you lose the job, and probably any chance of future employment, anyway. Doesn't sound like a dificult choice to me. The only way corporate isn't all over the situation already is because somone is hiding things. That's the person who will lose their job. File grievances for every safety violation you see, everday. The steward should be doing so if the rest of you won't

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You are protected against retaliation.