how much do ups city truck drivers get paid? in TEXAS

OG MIKE

hi im new to the forum,and just posted my application for package handler..i am very commited and determend to become a city truck driver one day..dont really care if i have to work my way up,even if it takes a couple of years..so my question is how much do ups city truck drivers make on an yearly salary? but in texas..cuz i look on google and it says 70g a year but i rather ask real drivers..if yall can help me out that would be great,thanks

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The 70K a year is about right. If you are referring to a UPS Package Car Driver, after all raises, that comes out to about $30 an hour and then $45 an hour in overtime.

rod

Retired 22 years
hi im new to the forum,and just posted my application for package handler..i am very commited and determend to become a city truck driver one day..dont really care if i have to work my way up,even if it takes a couple of years..so my question is how much do ups city truck drivers make on an yearly salary? but in texas..cuz i look on google and it says 70g a year but i rather ask real drivers..if yall can help me out that would be great,thanks

thats called "typing with a good ol boy accent" isn't it.

av8torntn

Are you talking about UPS freight drivers? If you are talking about UPS drivers I'd be prepared for the possibility it could take a little longer than two years.

OG MIKE

oh ok..so i guess 70g is about right..thanks....(av8tornt) no i ment regular truck driver,not the semi...(rod) lol yah the og mike name was a joke,but dont get it twisted homie im hood lol jk

satellitedriver

but dont get it twisted homie im hood lol jk
Home boy,
I was raised between Cullen and Calhoun south of Griggs road in Houston, TX.
I got to escape the "hood" and make the real money in the country.
My rural route brings me $80k+ a year,-( in Texas)-,
but they make me work for it.
Best of luck.

helenofcalifornia

Satellite works his ass off for that 80. And it takes sometimes 5-8-10 years to go through the part time ranks to a FT driver. Ask Sat what the wait times are in Texas. Say good bye to that family you have when you drive. Forget about getting off early (5 p.m.). And be prepared for some hard ass work. And you may earn beaucoup dinero when driving, but you will be too tired to spend it on the weekends. You may think you know what you are getting into, but no one is really prepared. And doesn't it now take three years to max out your salary? I think you start at $14 an hour and are stuck there for an eternity. Good luck.
Ask drivers where you will be working what their situation is and how long it took them to go up through the ranks of PTers to FT. That will be your best source of info.
Straight hood, huh?

OG MIKE

well i work in scaffols and oil rigs..and my family owns a junk yard and ive been working ther for the past years..so im used to hard work..and im a semi pro mma fighter so im in great shape..really great shape...and idk what "PT" means but "FT" i think it means freight..and i dont want to be a freight driver just a package car driver...oh and that hood thing was a joke....hey man how long do you think im gonna be stuck in the package handler job until i go to package car driver? ball park it..if you can,thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"just" a package car driver? You better be careful, I may go down there and go Brock Lessner on your ass.

With the stagnant economy and UPS' production push it is very hard to "ballpark" how long it would take to become a PC driver.

BTW, FT means full time.

UPSGUY72

well i work in scaffols and oil rigs..and my family owns a junk yard and ive been working ther for the past years..so im used to hard work..and im a semi pro mma fighter so im in great shape..really great shape...and idk what "PT" means but "FT" i think it means freight..and i dont want to be a freight driver just a package car driver...oh and that hood thing was a joke....hey man how long do you think im gonna be stuck in the package handler job until i go to package car driver? ball park it..if you can,thanks

You have got alot to learn. PT (part time) FT (full Time). It doesn't matter how good of shape your in. Sure it helps but I've seen people in great shape not last a day on the preload and than again I've see people totally out of shape still working the preload everyday. Unless your extremely lucky it going to be along time before you become a FT driver and atleast 3 yrs after that to you make Top rate. Depending on your part of the county and building where you start working you could be PT anywear from (1 to 10) yrs before your have a chance to become a driver.

good luck

OG MIKE

brock lesnar hahaha thats funny...thanks for all the info guys,i appriciate it....and like i said im very commited and determind to be a driver one day...and the hard work im not worried about it,scaffols is a bitch,so im used to it...is it possible to become a part time driver? ofcorse i would like full time but maybe i can be part time faster

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are no PT drivers. There are drivers who don't have their seniority that are called casual, cover or TCD's, who may or may not work every day. The word part-time is kind of misnomer at UPS as our part timers work every day but are only guaranteed 3.5 hours per day. You would be a casual driver first and then become a FT driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your best bet is to do what thousands have done before you. Work on the inside, whether preload, reload, or metro, wait your turn, become a casual driver and then work your way up to FT driving. Everything at UPS is done in seniority order.

Or you could be like and get hired off the street as a driver. The only problem with that is you would then have the Joe Unions tell you that you didn't pay your dues.

OG MIKE

oh ok..yah thats what i was planning to do...i made friends with the ups guy that delievers at my house and i asked him how should i go about being a driver and he said what u said..to start at the bottom and work your way up..he said that he got hired off the street but he worked for lays the chip company as a delievery guy so he had expirience

L

Loufan

That MMA will come in handy when you have boxes attacking you. Good luck, you'll be a loader/unloader for a while.

brownrod

Depends on where in the country you live. We do not have casual or TCD's in my neck of the woods. All our drivers are full time drivers. Some, however, are full time drivers without bid routes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on where in the country you live. We do not have casual or TCD's in my neck of the woods. All our drivers are full time drivers. Some, however, are full time drivers without bid routes.

So when they cut runs do the FT drivers without bid routes bump back in to the hub or do they ask FT drivers with bid routes if they want to take the day?