how much do ups city truck drivers get paid? in TEXAS

brownrod

So when they cut runs do the FT drivers without bid routes bump back in to the hub or do they ask FT drivers with bid routes if they want to take the day?

Lowest senior drivers call in every morning to see if they work. FT drivers do not work PT shifts unless the PT shift is understaffed and management asks them if they want to. Laid off FT drivers sit at home and collect unemployment.

Most of the time all but a few of the lowest senior drivers are working. There is never a shortage of high seniority drivers that want the day off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS has started a production push, raising the stops per car, and as a result routes are cut and the work given to the remaining routes in the loop. On the days that the routes are cut the FT drivers who do not have their own routes can either cover the route of a FT driver who is not working or is willing to take the day of or they will be laid off. I asked brownrod if the option to bump back in to the hub was available and he said it wasn't.

brownrod

we also have a number of routes that do not have a bid driver. All of the FT drivers without bid routes are very familiar with these routes.

OG MIKE

oh ok...so is this still a "safe" job to have? by safe i mean have a steady job and not get surprised with a "ur fired" haha

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

oh ok...so is this still a "safe" job to have? by safe i mean have a steady job and not get surprised with a "ur fired" haha

If you had asked me just a few years ago if I would recommend this job as a career I would have said yes without hesitation. I cannot say the same today. The company has changed and not in a good way.

If you are looking at this as a means to pay your bills in the short term I say go for it.

If you are looking at making this your career I would advise you to look elsewhere.

OG MIKE

dame thats not what i wanted to hear..i wanted to be a driver as a career...you said that the company has changed...so does that mean fed ex and DHL are better as career wise?

satellitedriver

If you had asked me just a few years ago if I would recommend this job as a career I would have said yes without hesitation. I cannot say the same today. The company has changed and not in a good way.

If you are looking at this as a means to pay your bills in the short term I say go for it.

If you are looking at making this your career I would advise you to look elsewhere.
OG Mike,
I totally agree with Upstate's advice.
UPS is no longer looking for young people that can grow with the company.
They are only looking for monkeys they can train.
I wish I had a better outlook for you at UPS, but the days of coming up through the ranks are over.
BTW;
Dixie Dr. use to be a neighborhood, before it became just part of the hood.
I am saddened, by the decline, in both where I was raised in the 50's and the direction of UPS in the 21st Century.
Again,
Best of Luck.

OG Mike, I suggest you read through some of the threads on this forum to get an idea of what average drivers experience working for UPS.

As far as the other two companies you mentioned, I can't say what working for them is like but the security of the companies themselves are no better than UPS.
A few years ago DHL had a nationwide domestic distribution (on a much smaller scale that UPS), today they are only international.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
dame thats not what i wanted to hear..i wanted to be a driver as a career...you said that the company has changed...so does that mean fed ex and DHL are better as career wise?
say something like that again and i will go fedor on your arse,, ups is still a good career choice

UPSGUY72

Look UPS is just like every other job out there it has both good and bad aspects. It all comes down to what you make of them. Your going to work for your money if you get a job at UPS if you don't like working than go look for a job somewhere else.

OG MIKE

"say something like that again and i will go fedor on your arse,, ups is still a good career choice" LMFAO!!!!! ok will do :funny: im still gonna go foward and join ups and be a driver one day..ups was my first choice..they deliver to my house a lot and i make friends with them and they all seem happy with theyre job,theyre never rude or sad or pissed off...as for fed ex..well theyre service blows ass...so it makes sence to belive theyre company blows ass lol

Datdude

We have cover drivers that have been here 8 to 10years still waiting to be promoted to full time drivers. I am in Texas south of h-town. I am still considered a rookie and I have been there 15yrs if that tells you anything.

nocturnalbuck

In the next 5 years or so there are going to be many retirements throughout the company therefore there should be a few more than usual new hires. When I was hired off the street 3 years ago which nowdays you need a 4 -year degree to be considered, I was surprised to learn 90% or more of our PTers didn't want to be full time drivers. So while it may look like you have too many people ahead of you, most of them aren't even trying to become drivers.

washington57

OG Mike,
I totally agree with Upstate's advice.
UPS is no longer looking for young people that can grow with the company.
They are only looking for monkeys they can train.
I wish I had a better outlook for you at UPS, but the days of coming up through the ranks are over.
BTW;
Dixie Dr. use to be a neighborhood, before it became just part of the hood.
I am saddened, by the decline, in both where I was raised in the 50's and the direction of UPS in the 21st Century.
Again,
Best of Luck.

how are the days of coming up through the ranks over? if you are union it is and always has been by seniority. unless you mean management?

nocturnalbuck

any four year degree. you just have to prove your not a quitter and you have some intelligence. they say it's so you are able to move into management at some point.