How much land do you own?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How much is the tax on your 300 acres?
Do they charge more for the first acre and then less for the rest?
Tax laws are changing a lot in Illinois. Currently I think only about $750 a month. But my ground is all pasture and woods.

And that was last years taxes before I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the taxes hit 3-4K within the next couple years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Tax laws are changing a lot in Illinois. Currently I think only about $750 a month. But my ground is all pasture and woods.

And that was last years taxes before I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the taxes hit 3-4K within the next couple years.
$9000 / yr is not as bad as I thought it would be. It's more than that in Georgia.
$50,000 / yr is more like what I thought it would be.

oldngray

nowhere special

Farm land is only taxed at a fraction of what other land has to pay.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Farm land is only taxed at a fraction of what other land has to pay.
Unfortunately, my county in Georgia does not see it that way.
The cleared land for my house and the yard is maybe 1/4 acre ... all the rest is forest.
I've protested and filed objections twice and the additional acres are taxed the same as the first.
Been here 18 years and it still POs me when I think about it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The cleared land for my house and the yard is maybe 1/4 acre ... all the rest is forest.
I've protested and filed objections twice and the additional acres are taxed the same as the first.
Get some goats suddenly it's a farm.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm paying 4500 in mass for my 3/4 acre
And 4100 on my camp in Maine 1/2 acre

We also load up on stuff in tax free NH , only 12 miles away

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special

I used to own some forest land. Unimproved with nothing but hills and trees. The taxes were very cheap.

The guy across the road had a house and a fishing pond but still mostly unimproved. He planted a few trees for the tree farm loophole.