How to acquire a UPS occupation..?

canon

or if UPS would be more likely to hire on account of college. Jeez.
That and being over 18 will rocket you right into package handling. If you can sign a piece of paper, you can bypass part-time retirement and become a driver. If you can fake a positive attitude, pretend you care about the potheads on a letter of intent and learn how to tie a tie, you can be in charge of people who are over 18 with college degrees handling packages.

See where this is going? I don't blame you for trying to skip the prerequisites, but the way you worded it is a slap in the face to everyone from preloader to the guy who is signing the paychecks. Getting your foot in the door is the first step which is unfortunately package handling. But once you're in, I wish you all the luck in the world to bypass as much of the middle as you can. Unfortunately, the people above you rarely put you ahead of themselves. Welcome to the board, you made quite the entrance.

SeniorGeek

Below the Line
In various messages, jdjones2001 said various things that I have snipped out for display and comment. Maybe J.D. will see why so many here think his initials might be C.O.
The only obstacle is that my degree, BA in Political Sci. ; isn't exactly applicable to well.. anything.
Not even applicable to making a politically tactful post.
surely there has to be some other way than starting from the bottom with the potheads!
Who is he stereotyping as potheads, Part-Timers, Loaders, New Hires? I thought the drug test was supposed to come back negative!
So don't lecture me about hard work, Jack.
...might offend anyone named Jack, or anyone who had posted but dislikes being called "Jack".
It would just seem somewhat of a misuse of time to work in a position where the only requirement is to be 18 years of age.
...trivializes the positions he sees as beneath him. Yet, he soon says:
Everyone thinks i'm downing the package handlers or whatnot and that's not the case.
When he completely forgot the part about showing up and doing the work every day. (Those who remember how much their bodies hurt on about day 3 know what I am talking about.)
Guess that means i don't have to join a union. Thank goodness.
Apparently is not intended to mean anything that might be offensive to those who joined the union - and might even take advantage of the services offered.
but for me just the morality and good conscious of the matter.. i don't think I could bring myself into the grip of the almighty union.

"The workers have discovered that the union is the only way for them to withstand the overpowering pressure of capital."

- Karl Marx, Die Kriegsfrage
...appears to show an understanding of the union as the totalitarian behemoth it is, while he sides with the glory and honor that can only be purchased with lots of capital.

I think this guy is ready. He deserves the Management Incentive Plan.

Channahon

JD - if you want a job at UPS - there is congressional dept that hobnobs with the politicians within the state and DC. This job is usually held locally by upper level management representing the UPS facilities. Corporate UPS managers are assigned to DC. Unless you have long term goals of about 10 years at UPS, you might be suited for one of these jobs. And that would be starting out as a part time hourly employee most likely. As far as the union - right to work states are just that. I've known people who have worked in right to work states, that didn't join the union. When the issue of a job not being done properly, the employee was not represented by the union, per se, but the position of the union was to ensure the job did not go away and would be filled, regardless of union or non union employee. The next person may want to join the union, so the union is protecting the position for the next guy or gal

S

some dude.

, and not just start as a part time package handler??? surely there has to be some other way than starting from the bottom with the potheads!

my part time shift is made up almost entirely of college kids.

Everyone starts at the bottom. Get over it.
UPS doesn't care what degree you have. They just care that you have a degree.

Become a part time package handler. When a part time supervisor position opens up go for it. Then go from there into full time management.

As a woman with an MBA, I decided one year to apply for a holiday package helper position. I loved the work, despite of the nasty Iowa cold, rain, ice, etc. My HR guy at the time of hiring said I could get into management if I wanted to pretty fast. I respectfully thanked him and asked if there would be a position for me to become a pre-loader so I can learn everything from the bottom-up. I enjoy physical work as well as working in a fast paced and demanding enviornment and I would like to think I am pretty good at what I do. Being the wife of an OTR trucker I also appreciate seeing what UPS drivers have to put up with from management and how they seem to be pulled into several directions all at once. I will feel lucky and priviliged when the day comes (probably years down the road) when I will have the chance to hopefully become a UPS driver myself. Paper or not....have some respect for all of those working at UPS, regardless at what level or position.