How to appeal for medication

Foamer Pyle

I was wondering if anyone has had to appeal our insurance for a medication. I take nexium 40 mg every day, and now there is a generic out, so they will not pay for the brand name anymore. 99% of the time I am fine with generic, but this time it does not work for me, something is different. Nothing worse than getting heartburn every time you eat. I have tried all of the other meds on the market, and nothing works as well for me than Nexium. When I went to CVS last week for my refill they said "that will be $334.00 please." Anyway, if anyone has had success with being able to make an appeal for a medication, I would like to know how to go about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was wondering if anyone has had to appeal our insurance for a medication. I take nexium 40 mg every day, and now there is a generic out, so they will not pay for the brand name anymore. 99% of the time I am fine with generic, but this time it does not work for me, something is different. Nothing worse than getting heartburn every time you eat. I have tried all of the other meds on the market, and nothing works as well for me than Nexium. When I went to CVS last week for my refill they said "that will be $334.00 please." Anyway, if anyone has had success with being able to make an appeal for a medication, I would like to know how to go about it.

Would they cover the meds if your doctor specified on the script that you must take Nexium 40 mg and then checked the box DAW-----dispense as written?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Ask your doctor to call your carrier and explain the situation. My wife just went through that for her BP meds.

Loyal Teamster

Vote for Bernie Sanders, issue solved

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Carry baking soda. Mix it with water. Biggest belch you will ever experience, no side effects. Good for your digestion and stomache lining. 99 cents. Heartburn gone

Foamer Pyle

Carry baking soda. Mix it with water. Biggest belch you will ever experience, no side effects. Good for your digestion and stomache lining. 99 cents. Heartburn gone
That's sounds funny, but I wouldn't try it. I had an ulcer in my 20's, and my gut hasn't been the same since. I have tried many different ways to get off that medicine, and nothing ever works.

Indecisi0n

I know you are probably joking, but I get that done every year. Anyone that doesn't take that serious, will feel real stupid when they wind up terminal cancer, that could have been prevented by an annual check up.
I am a little over protective. I get it check every Saturday night.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That's sounds funny, but I wouldn't try it. I had an ulcer in my 20's, and my gut hasn't been the same since. I have tried many different ways to get off that medicine, and nothing ever works.
I had acid reflux. Couldnt eat corn flakes, and go unload trailers at 3am. Doc said, no coffee, chocolate, or alcohol. I bought soda.

barnyard

KTM rider
Back on topic....

You have to have your Doctor write a letter to your insurance company that states why he is prescribing the name brand over the generic.

My wife was successful on getting a couple of things covered for our daughter. Both took 3ish months to wind their way through the system.

Last edited: