How to become a better, and effective shop steward?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Recently became a shop steward for my local sort, and would like some sage advice in how to become better at representing the members? Never really worked in a union setting before, but have about a year working at UPS. Besides knowing the contract, and addressing the BA, anyone care to share some other ways I can become better at it?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Recently became a shop steward for my local sort, and would like some sage advice in how to become better at representing the members? Never really worked in a union setting before, but have about a year working at UPS. Besides knowing the contract, and addressing the BA, anyone care to share some other ways I can become better at it?
Don't know perhaps @542thruNthru can put you up on game.I don't play on becoming a stew until close to contract time.

Up In Smoke

Ears and eyes open, mouth shut. Take impeccable notes and follow the grievance procedure to the letter. (Art. 7&8) There is no need to go looking for issues, they will manifest all on their own. gl

DriverNerd

Remember that members can bother you with non-disciplanary union issues/questions while you're on the clock but they must be off the clock. Don't become friends with management (not even a little - they will use it against you). Learn your contract book, especially those issue which directly pertain to you/those you represent. That means get a highlighter or book marks. Then take notes about what pages are important in the front cover for easy reference.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
You have no power

You’ll be afraid to file grievances when the time comes and you will bow down to management.

🧔‍♂️✊

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You should spend time with the head shop steward and watch him/her handle things.
It's a hard thankless job with no pay, lots of aggravation , can't keep everyone happy type of position but possibly a lot of satisfaction helping members from the bully.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't be afraid to say "I don't know", but always find the answers and report back. This will help you build credibility much faster than pretending to know all the answers.

Lead by example by keeping your game tight and understand that nobody respects a hypocrite.

Don't except or ask for personal or professional favors from management. That way you way you will not owe them any favors in return.

Lastly, surround yourself with alternate stewards you trust and expand your base from there, understanding the limitations of the group you are tasked to represent.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Don't be afraid to say "I don't know", but always find the answers and report back. This will help you build credibility much faster than pretending to know all the answers.

Lead by example by keeping your game tight and understand that nobody respects a hypocrite.

Don't except or ask for personal or professional favors from management. That way you way you will not owe them any favors in return.

Lastly, surround yourself with alternate stewards you trust and expand your base from there, understanding the limitations of the group you are tasked to represent.

Good luck and thank you for your service.
Great advice. Thank you!

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
You should spend time with the head shop steward and watch him/her handle things.
It's a hard thankless job with no pay, lots of aggravation , can't keep everyone happy type of position but possibly a lot of satisfaction helping members from the bully.
There’s not really a head shop steward here, maybe on the preload, but I haven’t met him/her. I’ll ask the driver or feeder steward if I ever see them. And yeah, you guys weren’t kidding that it was a thankless job, but someone’s gotta do it.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You’re going to think you can change the world at first. Change takes time, act promptly and methodically. Don’t be in a rush to act, anger and flying off the cuff will lead to poor decisions. Don’t look for problems, they will find you. The only thing you have is your integrity, don’t let anyone take it from you. Treat every member the same, it’s their grievance, you help them find a resolution. This isn’t brain surgery, we’re all truck drivers and box handlers, members should want to come to work and provide for themselves and their families. Know the contract, but don’t be afraid to know management as well. They play games and ask personal questions all the time to get what they want. You can do the same. Always remember that while you are in the office, you are to be treated as an equal to management, don’t let them make you feel any less.