How to become a better, and effective shop steward?

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
You’re going to think you can change the world at first. Change takes time, act promptly and methodically. Don’t be in a rush to act, anger and flying off the cuff will lead to poor decisions. Don’t look for problems, they will find you. The only thing you have is your integrity, don’t let anyone take it from you. Treat every member the same, it’s their grievance, you help them find a resolution. This isn’t brain surgery, we’re all truck drivers and box handlers, members should want to come to work and provide for themselves and their families. Know the contract, but don’t be afraid to know management as well. They play games and ask personal questions all the time to get what they want. You can do the same. Always remember that while you are in the office, you are to be treated as an equal to management, don’t let them make you feel any less.
Thanks for the help! Any little bit counts.

DriverNerd

I didn’t know this. I’ll make sure to let them know. I appreciate the advice!
I mean, if your management doesn't have a problem with it they can, or if you're both working at the time, but most of the time they consider talking union issues on the clock outside of break stealing time because they're not working.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Another thing you could do is do some research here on the "UPS Union Issues" sub forum where hundreds of contract type questions have been asked. Some members are stewards or some give very good and professional answers on how to deal with management when the contract has been violated.

Enough reading for months .

542thruNthru

Here are a couple threads about the subject that may or may not be helpful.

Good luck and thank you for taking on this huge responsibility.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Where’s the one about bribe amounts?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
You should spend time with the head shop steward and watch him/her handle things.
It's a hard thankless job with no pay, lots of aggravation , can't keep everyone happy type of position but possibly a lot of satisfaction helping members from the bully.
No head shop steward there,the other stewards are garbage.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd

Thanks, sir. I learned a lot lurking here from your posts along with everyone else. Thanks for linking me the breads.

rickyb

Recently became a shop steward for my local sort, and would like some sage advice in how to become better at representing the members? Never really worked in a union setting before, but have about a year working at UPS. Besides knowing the contract, and addressing the BA, anyone care to share some other ways I can become better at it?
maybe read economic policy institute or ask them