How to become a better, and effective shop steward?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Recently became a shop steward for my local sort, and would like some sage advice in how to become better at representing the members? Never really worked in a union setting before, but have about a year working at UPS. Besides knowing the contract, and addressing the BA, anyone care to share some other ways I can become better at it?
I have a very active, frequently present in the buildings, and highly successful Local Executive Board. They are not perfect but they are awesome.

My success as Shop Steward went to a whole new level when I found out how I could be the best possible representative in the early stages of an issue to enable them to be prepared when it came to the next level.

Basically I found out what kind of Shop Steward my Executive Board needed to assist them in forcefully defending the Contract and the membership.

Thebrownblob

I have a very active, frequently present in the buildings, and highly successful Local Executive Board. They are not perfect but they are awesome.

My success as Shop Steward went to a whole new level when I found out how I could be the best possible representative in the early stages of an issue to enable them to be prepared when it came to the next level.
Basically I found out what kind of Shop Steward my Executive Board needed to assist them in forcefully defending the Contract and the membership.

Interesting does that include when you agree with management on progressive discipline for drivers on non-contractual items? I would fear for anyone being represented by you. Their livelihood would be subject to your whims and opinions.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
My advice is to focus on learning about pay issues and how to correct them
Those will be at least 90% of the issues you have to deal with.
I’ve dealt with a couple of those since I started. I tell both old and new people to keep track of their times because they will shave minutes or even hours here or there if they are not mindful of it, and to be prompt about it that way they can accrue penalty pay if they aren’t made whole on time.

Thebrownblob

No. I never do this.

That’s your right

0 of my people have ever been discharged while I was Steward.
No. I never do this.
I was thinking the same thing sign me up

from your own fingers:
@integrity
My opinion as a former 15 Year Steward is that when all else fails that local management has a right to initiate progressive discipline to correct an employee who refuses to follow a UPS Safe work method/training?

Looks like you do to me