How to deliver large office buildings with suites? Question to drivers.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In addition to loading the cart by floor and stop, grab a tote box for your smalls. Sort your smalls by stop in the box but most importantly havena plan of attack for the building..

oldngray

nowhere special
The DIAD never has stop count correct when you have a lot of suites. Always more than supposedly dispatched with. In old days before everything was computerized my preloader would always add a few to stop counter to account for those daily extra stops.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hand cart with a strap can fit mucho plenty!

Now, multi trips to the same stop. We had some sups tell us each trip is one stop, others no. What does your boss say?

Wally

Let's set this straight:

This is a hand cart:
upload_2014-5-4_7-10-16.png

This is a dolly:
upload_2014-5-4_7-11-48.png
or this:
upload_2014-5-4_7-15-38.png

There is another "Dolly", but some here might get too "excited", so I left it out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now, multi trips to the same stop. We had some sups tell us each trip is one stop, others no. What does your boss say?

If your boss is talking about having to go back to a stop to deliver a misload later in the day then he is right. If he is talking about delivering one cartload and then delivering a second one 5 minutes later the 2nd would be a continuation of the 1st----one stop.

Wally

If your boss is talking about having to go back to a stop to deliver a misload later in the day then he is right. If he is talking about delivering one cartload and then delivering a second one 5 minutes later the 2nd would be a continuation of the 1st----one stop.

Yep, one stop, but I have had management past, that said, each trip was a stop. Work as directed.

upload_2014-5-4_9-40-2.png

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Common sense….chyeah….his On road isn’t telling him Don’t make 30 stops….only how to sheet it….work as directed

On-car is telling him to take a separate stop for each cartload for the same stop delivered without moving the pkg car. How is that any different from my example of making 30 trips up and down the stairs?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
What you can do is go as far out on the bottom of the cart as you can go. Like if the cart is 3 feet or 4 feet long, what your looking to do is extend that bottom lip out maybe 2 more feet or so. Try n make a flat bottom layer where all the boxes are on the bottom layer on the lip. Now keep stacking til you get it to a height that is near the top of the hand cart or dolly. Once that is full go all around the hand cart in circles with tape so all the boxes wont tip front ways and tilt the cart back. This is a game I like to call EXTEND A CART, basically the idea is to extend that cart bottom lip as far out as you can that you have control of it still. Youll know how far you can go and still have control of it. Another idea on the same trip with the hand cart is to use DR bags for your smalls but if you have 3 or 4 etc different stops that have small boxes use separate DR bags for them separate suites. The whole idea is to make the least amount of trips up and down or back and forth as you have to. Youll learn little tricks like this as you go along. Ive had as many as like 25 boxes in 1 trip using this method but of course that all depends on the sizes of the boxes obviously. TO BE A MAD SCIENTIST YOU HAVE TO THINK LIKE A MAD SCIENTIST lol.
Its called thinking outside the box lol.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Yep, one stop, but I have had management past, that said, each trip was a stop. Work as directed.

Each trip is ridiculous. Now each suite IS a new stop.

"Work as directed" does not preclude common sense. What's to stop someone from making 30 trips up and down those stairs?

Exactly, well put. We have a guy that pads his time and refuses to use the DUP button when he has to return to bulk stops because he cannot locate a package. He seems to think that just because he has to return, its another stop when he already made a stop there.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its only a duplicate stop if its the same box and you have to reattempt it a 2nd time. If its at the same stop and its a different box with different tracking number its another stop. Not our fault they have STEVIE WONDER and all of his blind buddies loading trucks. Don't hate the player hate the game is what I say. I don't play that game with them idiots.

feeder05

Deliver any bulk for the building first…than load up your hand truck high to low…easier to catch elevators going down and less folks going down than going up…good luck.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Its only a duplicate stop if its the same box and you have to reattempt it a 2nd time. If its at the same stop and its a different box with different tracking number its another stop. Not our fault they have STEVIE WONDER and all of his blind buddies loading trucks. Don't hate the player hate the game is what I say. I don't play that game with them idiots.

You're right about the Stevie Wonder loading but unfortunately, each stop has X amount of pkgs to be delivered and if all those pieces should be offloaded at that time, then returning because you can't locate 1 or more pieces is a duplicate stop. I'm certainly not trying to argue about what you said but just like Upstate's answer, whats to stop someone from making 30 trips and getting credit for each trip as a stop.

Basically, what I'm getting at is we all know that the time studies are BS but the time study doesn't calculate that you have to return because we could not locate a package. In theory, you could make an 8.5 hr day just making those 30 trips.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I find the pkg and come back within an hour or so it is dup stop---if it is much later in the day it is a separate stop.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You're right about the Stevie Wonder loading but unfortunately, each stop has X amount of pkgs to be delivered and if all those pieces should be offloaded at that time, then returning because you can't locate 1 or more pieces is a duplicate stop. I'm certainly not trying to argue about what you said but just like Upstate's answer, whats to stop someone from making 30 trips and getting credit for each trip as a stop.

Basically, what I'm getting at is we all know that the time studies are BS but the time study doesn't calculate that you have to return because we could not locate a package. In theory, you could make an 8.5 hr day just making those 30 trips.
Because those guys that do it all the time, trust me are on the radar and they will get in trouble for it. If you don't do it that much your probably not going to be on the radar. You know how the game works dude.