How to piss off a Driver?

over9five

Staff member
Out of respect for the tiger I won't say. You would have had to been here. The tiger is my brother now and we no longer have any problems. God bless
38775885.jpg

AndUPSER

Stay in the back of his truck one day and then pop out after his first delivery and inform him that you were promoted to full time driver helper for the route. Not only will he beat the hell out of you, you would also lose your job!

Marlin3030hntr

Don't get me wrong I've had some jerk drivers over my years of loading but I would never sabotage one as once you are out on the road with a bad load that would totally sway you away from ever doing so to another driver, thank god I have a decent loader on my training route for my 30 day packet, I know what bad loads can do to you though. One day when you put on big boy pants and run a route you will have a total different respect for the loader/driver relationship.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Hey I'm just saying. I've spooken with a lot of drivers, asked them about their past jobs here. The majority did the cake jobs, got the years in and made it. Now they have to work hard and its just the pits! Only a few preloaders ever make it, due to the conditions placed on us, and then they are often placed on routes that are outrageous. Just had a driver change due to bids. The new driver I knew in the past worked 10 years as a preloader. This route was awesome, got about 230-275 a day, with the pervious driver. Now, with the ex-preloader, is now getting 300-350+ everyday.

I believe our past has graced us with work that we will deal in the future here. And yet it was all supposed to get easier.

I agree about surviving here, think about it all the time.

The hard part about driving to me is the amount of hours. Its long, grueling and the elements. I agree that a lot of the jobs here at UPS are very hard. Theres twice as many that are cake, and you all know it.

Marlin3030hntr

Well I know that I have been loading 1200pcs a day in 4.5hrs average for about 7 years and now while in the second week of my 30 days I'm already running 130-135 stops which is the max on my training route for the normal driver and all this in the 108degree heat, driving is what you make of it and its true its not for everyone but I've also been working 2 jobs totaling 12hrs a day so running a route for 8-8.5 hrs a day isn't bad.

Loyal Teamster

Whats with all the complaining about the elements in this forum. People complain about Snow, Heat, Rain. It must suck for you who get several seasons. When I did driver helper in December, I found it fun when it drizzled once.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Whats with all the complaining about the elements in this forum. People complain about Snow, Heat, Rain. It must suck for you who get several seasons. When I did driver helper in December, I found it fun when it drizzled once.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster
Kapa......equals christmas elf AND a troll?? You never cease to surprise me.

Marlin3030hntr

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

Well when you do it day in, day out, the elements do wear on you, I always enjoyed being a runner as well but when you leave the building at 945 it takes 15mins to get on area and you have 11 reds all spread out and it's 110degrees it does suck and you know you have 135 more stops ahead of that, but we did choose the career path so venting about it is warranted but continuous complaining isn't.

Loyal Teamster

Well when you do it day in, day out, the elements do wear on you, I always enjoyed being a runner as well but when you leave the building at 945 it takes 15mins to get on area and you have 11 reds all spread out and it's 110degrees it does suck and you know you have 135 more stops ahead of that, but we did choose the career path so venting about it is warranted but continuous complaining isn't.

We had 102 degrees once, like 2 years ago, it was pretty bad, good thing i didn't work for ups then.

Returntosender

Hmm, maybe a Honda Civic needs an oil change, and transmission fluid replaced? change the CV boots, water pump and timing belt? If a you need a strong impact ask around?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

Its not that it happens, its dealing with it over the years.

The cold, the heat, the rain and snow; it all adds up. I know if it was pouring rain or snowing heavily everyday in a week, I'd gripe as well.

Lets just say that each of our jobs, driving and preload, have their positives and negatives.

JDAM00

Sabotaging a load could have some serious consciousness. I've had my share of miserable drivers. For me as a loader, there's the pal system, and the way I do it. My drivers love it. I know what deliveries are dock, and put them in the back, I put overweights in a spot the driver can easily get them out the back, I put certain bulks on the floor, in the right order, and bury the high 7,000's and 8,000's, especially long ones, back and on the floor so they are out of the way. I always put the same address together, although they are the same pal #, not always the same address. I even put them in ascending order.

When I have a driver who is just miserable, and gives me attitude, I will load his truck perfectly and 100% to pal. Won't do anything I listed up top for him, besides over 40lbs on the floor. I've only had 2 drivers I've done that to. After a week I would go back to the way I normally load it, and both times have gotten a big fat thank you

If you aren't doing anything I listed, you should ask your drivers what you can do to help them have a better set up. If I'm on a truck where I don't know the route well, I can still at least tuck away the late in the day awkward packages, and I always keep the saver next days off to the side, so he can look through them, make sure he knows where they are, and that they all match up with what he has in his DIAD.

Loyal Teamster

to day was great, Best way to piss off a driver is by giving them a PERFECT load. I put all 40+ on the floor. Using most of the floor.

While he was checking his truck he said "Bet you that box isn't mine." Does this count as trying to place a Wager? betting is against company policy. Can i File a Grievance for it?

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
to day was great, Best way to piss off a driver is by giving them a PERFECT load. I put all 40+ on the floor. Using most of the floor.

While he was checking his truck he said "Bet you that box isn't mine." Does this count as trying to place a Wager? betting is against company policy. Can i File a Grievance for it?

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster
are you also known as the misload king of your hub? Sounds like that driver's got you pegged.

Just wondering,since you seem to know everything,are you aware taking pictures inside UPS is not allowed? Not that I care, I figure if they give you enough rope,you'll hang yourself. I've seen it a dozen times or more. This one Ill cherish.