How will the new mimimum wage affect UPS?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
fixed it for you.

Sadly, it's corporations who have used your line of thinking to keep a huge part time work force and very few full time employees that have actually caused this problem, not the employees working two part time jobs trying to make ends meet.

Just look at that terrible 2008 recession. All those jobs disappeared, only to be replaced by part time jobs when the economy improved. The full time jobs are gone and they won't return. The recession was great business for corporations.

Sorry dude !!!!!
Never heard of a full time fry guy at McD's in my life. Not in 2008 or 1973

I worked 2 part time jobs until I got my full time driving job.
You either work harder or you cry for your handouts.

Last edited:

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sorry dude !!!!!
Never heard of a full time fry guy had McD's in my life. Not in 2008 or 1973

I worked 2 part time jobs until I got my full time driving job.
You either work harder or you cry for your handouts.
Oversimplify much?
Ya I worked two jobs too, that's the point.
I see it all the time on route.
Companies that used to have a ton of full time employees now have entire warehouses staffed by temp agencies.

The shift from a full time to a part time work force has been decades in the making. It benefits corporate america and you're defending them and their profits at the expense of hard working Americans. I'm not talking about handouts, I'm talking about people who want to work, but are told by their company they can't get that many hours.

We have shifted to a part time work force in this country and given that fact, living wage laws might be the only way to counteract the abuse of our workers. I'm open to other ideas if you have them.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What it means is that a gallon of milk will cost 7 bucks in a few years in California.
If a guy at Macdonalds can put together 50 meals an hour it will add a whole 10 cents to each meal. Plus the guy buying the meal also got a raise. Money in the pockets of the people on the bottom is what grows our economy. Rich people getting richer doesn't.

rod

Retired 22 years
If a guy at Macdonalds can put together 50 meals an hour it will add a whole 10 cents to each meal. Plus the guy buying the meal also got a raise. Money in the pockets of the people on the bottom is what grows our economy. Rich people getting richer doesn't.

I never got a raise---in fact I'm losing ground.

BrownTexas

Corporate greed has shrunken the full time work force. Why have full time employees who you have to provide benefits for when you can have 2 part timers do the job and not qualify for benefits. Corporate greed will also replace the entry level jobs with technology. Why pay $15 an hour for something a computer can already do? They will have to cut cost somehow and people will be the first cut. I rather type my order in than have some uneducated person type it in wrong and not get what I wanted.

trickpony1

the amount listed on my w2 for employer provided health insurance......

I don't think it was like this before Obama became our Dear Leader.

Are you smart enough to realize that your president has decided this is taxable income and this is just another way to squeeze money out of the common folk? Probably not.

Are all you Obama supporters glad you voted for him......twice?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Are you smart enough to realize that your president has decided this is taxable income and this is just another way to squeeze money out of the common folk? Probably not.

How much in taxes did you pay on your healthcare benefits last year? My guess is ZERO. Fear much?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Didn't support or vote for him, but you're wrong on both accounts.

We were shifting to a part time workforce before Obama, and the ACA gave companies a convenient scapegoat to cut even more.

In regards to the tax, I'm not sure whether you're simplify misinformed or purposefully making things up. The tax on Cadillac healthcare plans only applies to the costs that exceed $27,500, which doesn't apply to us or most anyone else. The only issue with that tax is the limit increases are tied to the consumer price index rather than the healthcare industry's rate of inflation, which historically is higher.

Turn off Faux News man, you might learn a thing or two.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Except 10 people's work went into making those meals. So it adds a dollar.

MAKAVELI

The unions will fight to be exempt because when you add in H&W money it's way more than $15 an hour.
There's a lot more to it than just because union jobs offer benefits. These exemptions really only benefit the union and company, not the union workers. This is one reason many have such a distrust for unions.

trickpony1

"Fear much?"

"turn off the Faux News Man"

Tell this to my wife's friend who is on Obamacare. Her deductible went from $1600 to $6000. There are people out there that don't work for UPS and are struggling to make ends meet and then they get hit with something like this.

"Fear much?"

What do you think?

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
"Fear much?"

"turn off the Faux News Man"

Tell this to my wife's friend who is on Obamacare. Her deductible went from $1600 to $6000. There are people out there that don't work for UPS and are struggling to make ends meet and then they get hit with something like this.

"Fear much?"

What do you think?
Give me your wife's friends phone number. I'll ask her why she decided to go with a higher deductible health plan to save on her premiums.

Hellobrown2000

When people say it's for kids they are the ones out of touch with reality. Jobs are disappearing this isn't the 80s and 90s anymore adults are working "kid" jobs now because jobs that existed before aren't available. The idea that an employee working pt of ft for a corporation that makes billions and ceos make double digit millions shouldn't be making more an hour is ignorant and mind boggling. You can't go get a place to live and survive on 10 an hour. People shouldn't have to work 60+ plus hours a week just to be able to eat everyday. People are constantly crying about people thinking they deserve something. The politicians are ruining the country as the have been and probably will continue to as long as lobbying is legal. They feel they deserve 6 six figures a year lifetime free pensions and health care, but aren't you crying and complaining about them?

Part time work ,on the lines of a burger flipper, are meant for high school kids, college students, a parent trying to put food on the table. This type of work has always been meant as a line on a resume or quick cash under a flexible schedule. Sadly, people who make "careers" out of these "jobs" have forced the minimum wage up to a point where it will lead to worse consequences.
mcdonalds-kiosks-600.jpg

Now you will have less jobs and more people on unemployment crying they didn't get their break in life. Never underestimate businesses when the government tries to screw them. They will find a way. So will UPS.