How will the new mimimum wage affect UPS?

underworked1

What it means is that a gallon of milk will cost 7 bucks in a few years in California.
Not true. Since its founding minimum wage has increased very little, while inflation has soared. It should have kept pace and if it did it would be much higher than 15 dollars an hour. Protip: stop watching fox news for your daily fear mongering.

billerz

Not true. Since its founding minimum wage has increased very little, while inflation has soared. It should have kept pace and if it did it would be much higher than 15 dollars an hour. Protip: stop watching fox news for your daily fear mongering.
I went and goggled it, says that in 1938 minimum wage was 25 cents, which adjusted for inflation would be 4.19 today. I'm not an economist, so I really don't know what it means. Minimum wage here is around 8 dollars, so I guess it's only doubled in 80 years? Am I getting that right lol..

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I went and goggled it, says that in 1938 minimum wage was 25 cents, which adjusted for inflation would be 4.19 today. I'm not an economist, so I really don't know what it means. Minimum wage here is around 8 dollars, so I guess it's only doubled in 80 years? Am I getting that right lol..
It's quite a bit more complicated than that. The purchasing power of the minimum wage peaked in the late 1960's. Basically it just hasn't kept up with inflation since then.

It's kind of besides the point anyways. The fact that the minimum wage is such a big issue only proves that we have a crappy economy and a shrinking middle class. If the economy was good, minimum wage jobs would be for teenagers, bored housewives, and interns. Sadly, that's just not the case anymore.

Notcool

I started out at 8.50 10 years later I make more that double that. New hires starting at 15 is a slap in the face to me. Took along time to get my wage

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Flipping burgers is a job. Working at UPS is a road to a career.
A difference that California legislatures don't understand apparently.
I had no idea we are better than burger flippers.

All this time I just thought we delivered cardboard.

Returntosender

Some current low senority CA pt upsers might leave, work some where else for 15 a hour, with less physical denlmands, and without waiting 1 year for medical insurance.

P

pickup

I know a group of workers who won't make this new minimum wage in California and this group will be in high demand and this group's numbers will increase.

This group is called Illegal immigrants.

RiskyBusiness

I know a group of workers who won't make this new minimum wage in California and this group will be in high demand and this group's numbers will increase.

This group is called Illegal immigrants.

Irrelevant considering the title name "how will the new minimum wage affect UPS?"..... :butt:

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

You must be the 1.2% who watch CNN.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"Fear much?"

"turn off the Faux News Man"

Tell this to my wife's friend who is on Obamacare. Her deductible went from $1600 to $6000. There are people out there that don't work for UPS and are struggling to make ends meet and then they get hit with something like this.

"Fear much?"

What do you think?
Blame Medicare and Medicad for the healthcare mess.

My wife puts people to sleep for a living. Most in her profession say I'm not stepping in that room for less than $100 an hour and rightfully so.

The problem is Medicare, which is obviously a large amount of what they deal with, reimburse them at less than what you or I make in an hour.

Because of this private insurance gets charged through the roof.

PT Car Washer

Blame Medicare and Medicad for the healthcare mess.

My wife puts people to sleep for a living. Most in her profession say I'm not stepping in that room for less than $100 an hour and rightfully so.

The problem is Medicare, which is obviously a large amount of what they deal with, reimburse them at less than what you or I make in an hour.

Because of this private insurance gets charged through the roof.
And of course insurance companies just pass along the cost to the consumers plus their profit margins.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Come on ... Only reason guys watch Fox News is for the beautiful anchors with big boobs...they all have them.

MAKAVELI

I'm simply pointing out one reason why healthcare costs have skyrocketed.

And some people want government run healthcare. Smh.
Healthcare has skyrocketed because its a for profit business that is a necessity for every man , woman and child. And everyone wants a piece of that pie. That's why its so expensive, plain and simple.