How Will UPS Compete With Amazon?

RJBRR13

I can’t wait to see how paying people a dollar over minimum wage to deliver 70-150lb irregs is going to work out. I’m willing to bet Amazon will keep UPS just for that purpose, even when they’re self sufficient with under 70s and air.

This fleet of delivery vehicles they’re building up (cheap mid-sized cargo vans) is not going to handle all the heavy furniture and household appliances they sell. Combined with their normal load of small boxes and plastic envelopes, I wonder how many 100 pound mattresses and bed frames those Nissan or Mercedes vans can hold. I don’t even think there is room for a hand truck.

The fleet of delivery vans is challenging the inventory at most "you-pull-it" auto salvage yards. Only difference is that you can salvage some body parts from the local yard. The Amazon vans starting to look like props from a disaster movie. Time to buy stock in PepBoys

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
I think we will be fine. We seem to have recovered from that peak season disaster a few years ago. A lot more employees as well. On my end anyways, the volume is going way up. It’s been trending for a few years now.

ThePackageDeli

Are you really that concerned about Amazon? Or did you fall in love with Alexa, and this is some fetish? Seriously, you couldn't find the answer to this question in any of your 4 other chicken-little Amazon threads?
This is ageing well :)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This is ageing well :)

What in that post has aged? It's just questions. You probably should have quoted a post that said Amazon will never compete with UPS. BTW, I'm still not concerned about Amazon delivery. I'm working 6 days a week this peak for the first time ever.

ThePackageDeli

Non sequitur

Amazon will go all in on the rivian electric delivery van. They will continue to exploit the young naive mostly inner city workforce. Future capital costs will bleed margins until they figure things out. UPS should stick to their play book, efficiency. Going to suck for us, but should keep us profitable into the future.

Whither

Scofflaw
The good news is the unionization efforts at Amazon will stifle their ability to undercut us.
I hope the IBT is learning from the ALU and will be passing on the lessons to our many complacent locals. Yes, of course, the ALU faces a bitter battle to get their first contract. But hey, we know that with a large membership and contracts galore, the Teamsters have been resting on their laurels for a while now. For example, us Teamsters at UPS would be able to seriously reign in the company's excesses if we could achieve the degree of rank-and-file organization that it took the ALU to win that NLRB election against Amazon. And we would also be much more useful in helping the efforts to organize Amazon, Starbucks, etc.

I read your reply and sure enough the next day I see two dudes in Amazon shirts delivering a bunch of rugs out of a budget truck. I got a peak inside and it was filled with space heaters, mattresses and that crappy particle board furniture you assemble. They’ve been doing this for a while but I never noticed, I guess I assumed they were movers.

At least they get to work in pairs.
yeah in the sortation center I do remember they hired private independent box truck contractors to take most of the pallets of boxes which are small and oversized. The rest they send to delivery stations for the smaller vans to deliver. But the big over size boxes private companies with box truck delivery men deliver the packages. They recently added a XL oversize warehouse specially for big boxes where most of the work is done using forklift which they banned in most other warehouses. So they are taking on the competition like home depot and lowes.
amazon only uses UPS to ship out small packages and UPS charges a fee if the wrong packages are sent to the wrong destination because than UPS has to correct the issue and send it to the right location.
I remember the deliver drivers of these independent contractors had to rush at 11-1pm to load there trucks so that they could deliver there items. They claimed they were paid $30 per hour yet a amazon delivery driver is paid $20 per hour.

Thebrownblob

Getting the first union vote not even half the battle, getting the first contract infinitely is hard. It’s been almost 6 months and I would almost bet you the turnover there is more than 70% many of the original yes votes are most likely gone. Amazon is going to try to sit and try to get a New vote.

Getting the first union vote not even half the battle, getting the first contract infinitely is hard. It’s been almost 6 months and I would almost bet you the turnover there is more than 70% many of the original yes votes are most likely gone. Amazon is going to try to sit and try to get a New vote.
unions are bad news, worked at many warehouse with unions.
They are only there to steal money out of your paycheck. They are not there to make it easier for an employee. Take a look at UPS, the pay rate is 15.50 the same as amazon but they only offer partime only about 3-4 hours in most UPS locations. Yet amazon offers fulltime and the work load is less than UPS. UPS and fed ex have a heavier work load than amazon employees. The UPS bathrooms are dirty and old. Amazon has clean bathrooms and the break rooms offer a variety of food.
Went to work for giant distribution. The union took $140 dollars on first day of work and I quit the first day. The bathrooms were dirty plus the they told me they would could search thru my car whenever they wanted. The atmosphere was unfriendly from day one and than they told me they were only hiring me as relief for there permanent employees that were going on summer vacations for weeks and after that I would laid off. So basically I would be only working to fill in space for all there workers for summer than I would be laid off. The union didn't help me instead they took the $140 on the first day.
On orientation they walked me thru the entire building, I saw a bunch of old men just standing around talking yet the new employees were doing the heavy workload jumping in front of forklifts. I was like a steel toe isn't going to prevent my entire leg from being crushed. And why the friend are those old men just talking. With unions, I'm sure you got those top employees who get all the benefits that walk around doing nothing while the lesser ones do all the work.

Thebrownblob

They are only there to steal money out of your paycheck. They are not there to make it easier for an employee. Take a look at UPS, the pay rate is 15.50 the same as amazon but they only offer partime only about 3-4 hours in most UPS locations. Yet amazon offers fulltime and the work load is less than UPS. UPS and fed ex have a heavier work load than amazon employees. The UPS bathrooms are dirty and old. Amazon has clean bathrooms and the break rooms offer a variety of food.
Went to work for giant distribution. The union took $140 dollars on first day of work and I quit the first day. The bathrooms were dirty plus the they told me they would could search thru my car whenever they wanted. The atmosphere was unfriendly from day one and than they told me they were only hiring me as relief for there permanent employees that were going on summer vacations for weeks and after that I would laid off. So basically I would be only working to fill in space for all there workers for summer than I would be laid off. The union didn't help me instead they took the $140 on the first day.
On orientation they walked me thru the entire building, I saw a bunch of old men just standing around talking yet the new employees were doing the heavy workload jumping in front of forklifts. I was like a steel toe isn't going to prevent my entire leg from being crushed. And why the friend are those old men just talking. With unions, I'm sure you got those top employees who get all the benefits that walk around doing nothing while the lesser ones do all the work.
Thank you Jeff Bezos, you can leave now. 😂

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Ok George Costanza.

Ok George Costanza.
so what has a union done for you.
In amazon you represent yourself. In a union you don't have a voice, you can only complain to a union leader so management is untouchable.
In amazon if your affairily treated you make a complaint against the manager and if he is in the wrong he gets disciplined. I got plenty of managers in trouble in amazon.
In a union, you don't represent and you don't have a voice.
As far as I'm concerned warehouses run by unions like giant, UPS have the worst work load and lowest pay rate. So I ask you again how has you union helped you or other workers.
Did they help someone not loose there job in a layoff or if they were fired for no reason. In places like amazon you don't get laid off if your permanent and its easy to become permanent. In fact most people quit cause they are too busy than they run to fedex or UPS.
At giant distribution which has a huge union group, they stole my money. They took advantage of me being a new temporary employee. They didn't represent me instead they took my money. I should of never signed them allowing them to do so. And how were they doing a service by not even informing me that I was a temporary seasonal worker filling in so that there permanent staff could go on a months vacation. This I had to figure out in order not to get screwed over by asking. They were using a fancy work so that I would figure out it was temporary.

Thebrownblob

In amazon you represent yourself. In a union you don't have a voice, you can only complain to a union leader so management is untouchable.
In amazon if your affairily treated you make a complaint against the manager and if he is in the wrong he gets disciplined. I got plenty of managers in trouble in amazon.
As far as I'm concerned warehouses run by unions like giant, UPS have the worst work load and lowest pay rate. So I ask you again how has you union helped you or other workers.
Did they help someone not loose there job in a layoff or if they were fired for no reason. In places like amazon you don't get laid off if your permanent and its easy to become permanent. In fact most people quit cause they are too busy than they run to fedex or UPS.
Lol you said they told you they could search your car that’s funny. Another joke account.

Thebrownblob

At giant distribution which has a huge union group, they stole my money. They took advantage of me being a new temporary employee. They didn't represent me instead they took my money. I should of never signed them allowing them to do so. And how were they doing a service by not even informing me that I was a temporary seasonal worker filling in so that there permanent staff could go on a months vacation. This I had to figure out in order not to get screwed over by asking. They were using a fancy work so that I would figure out it was temporary.
Using fancy work? I got to get some of that😂

Ok George Costanza.
look at this way I'm returning back to amazon for 17.50 per hour "full time" with a work load that is easy yet I turned down Fed ex and UPS because they only offered partime at 15.50 with such a heavy workload. I can quit amazon whenever I want to and get hired whenever I want to. With these other so called union warehouses, you would probably get fired before you even quit.