How's this for our safety concious company

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Earlier this week I had pulled into the center and backed into my dock. I was pulling my send agains off my truck when my nite sup pulled the emergency evacuation alarm (He did not know I was on the belt). This all occured about 5 min til 7. So, being the good little employee that I am, I high-tailed it across the street with local sort and nite sup. Nite sup released us to return to building, I finished my work, clocked out (over 9.5) and went home.

Later, I found out that the nite sup was chewed out for forcing myself and another driver (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that) over 9.5. Not only that, the center manager doing the chewing said that I said, "I was forced over because of the nite sup". (Never even talked to the center manager) But that is not even the best part yet.

The best part is this, "The drivers do not have to participate in emergency evacuation drills in the evening anymore.", according to what I was told.

:salute:"Yes sir, no problem, the next time I hear and emergency evacuation alarm I will stay right here in this burning building". :fan:

How stupid do they think I am?????????????????

I hope some white collar mucky-muck reads this and takes appropriate action. (My luck, the appropriate action will involve giving the center manager a slap on the back and a 'job well done'.

LKLND3380

Earlier this week I had pulled into the center and backed into my dock. I was pulling my send agains off my truck when my nite sup pulled the emergency evacuation alarm (He did not know I was on the belt). This all occured about 5 min til 7. So, being the good little employee that I am, I high-tailed it across the street with local sort and nite sup. Nite sup released us to return to building, I finished my work, clocked out (over 9.5) and went home.

Later, I found out that the nite sup was chewed out for forcing myself and another driver (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that) over 9.5. Not only that, the center manager doing the chewing said that I said, "I was forced over because of the nite sup". (Never even talked to the center manager) But that is not even the best part yet.

The best part is this, "The drivers do not have to participate in emergency evacuation drills in the evening anymore.", according to what I was told.

:salute:"Yes sir, no problem, the next time I hear and emergency evacuation alarm I will stay right here in this burning building". :fan:

How stupid do they think I am?????????????????

I hope some white collar mucky-muck reads this and takes appropriate action. (My luck, the appropriate action will involve giving the center manager a slap on the back and a 'job well done'.

See... If your had been in the building earlier when the the PM Supe did the PCM you would have known it was a drill...:whiteflag:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think that this would be an easy 9.5 for the center manager to explain to his sup. Obviously you did the right thing. Let's turn this around for a minute and think what may happened had you ignored the evacuation alarm just to make sure that you were under 9.5 or because one of the metro guys told you that it was just a drill and it turned out that it wasn't a drill.

UPS amazes me sometimes.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know our head of safety, as he is at our ctr regularly. I think that is a smashing idea. I will talk to him next time I see him.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The drivers do not have to participate in emergency evacuation drills in the evening anymore.

Tell them you want the changes to the written safety policy in writing. A warning letter would be great, as the next time it goes off, you will be the first out of the building.

see what they say.

d

UPS Lifer

I know our head of safety, as he is at our ctr regularly. I think that is a smashing idea. I will talk to him next time I see him.

You should let your District CHSP Manager know (like you said). I was the District Compliance Manager and unless you get approval by a supervisor after the alarm goes off, you must exit to the prescribed evacuation area for your location.

Your supervisor would have to specifically tell you that it is a drill and you can finish your check in. If you do not hear those words - evacuate! You cannot be disciplined for that.

Nobody including your center manager can tell you ahead of time that you do not have to participate in an alarm. They can tell you right after the alarm that it is a drill and you do not have to participate or evacuate.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would have evacuated no matter what, as I did not have knowlege that it was a drill. Plus, what if a new person was in the building and sees you not leaving and then sets a bad example to follow. I would not concern myself with the other individual who asked that you comply. We work as instructed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would think that this would be an easy 9.5 for the center manager to explain to his sup. Obviously you did the right thing. Let's turn this around for a minute and think what may happened had you ignored the evacuation alarm just to make sure that you were under 9.5 or because one of the metro guys told you that it was just a drill and it turned out that it wasn't a drill.

UPS amazes me sometimes.
If I had ignored the alarm, I would have gotten a warning letter for failing to follow safety policies. LOL

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The whole thing just amazes me or amuses me, which ever. My nite sup got chewed out because I went over 9.5, but when I tell them during the day that I'm going to be over the response is 'oh well'. And as far as evacuating goes, I will every time I hear the alarm. Drill or no drill it is procedure. I also find it funny that only preload and local sort have the drills, this was the first time in 2 years that I have gotten caught in an evac. alarm. Have any of you drivers out there had the same experience?

Tony31yrs

That's right. If they give you a hard time, call OSHA, the union and the labor board. Recite the Ketterer procedure for hearing the "evacuate the building sound" to the supe.