Hub break time

davburke

I am a brand new steward. If I notice that the ten minute break isn't given within 3 hours of hub start time how do I handle it? One single grievance on every one's behalf? What results can come out of that grievance?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Consider discussing the problem with the sup first.

If it's a legit grievance, and this applies to any situation, make sure the member you're representing wants to file. You're there to represent them, but not to change the world for them. Make sure you're on the same page.

Nothing worse than trying to convince members to stand up for themselves.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Consider discussing the problem with the sup first.

If it's a legit grievance, and this applies to any situation, make sure the member you're representing wants to file. You're there to represent them, but not to change the world for them. Make sure you're on the same page.

Nothing worse than trying to convince members to stand up for themselves.
I had this problem when I was the PT steward on our preload. They tried getting us to take our break at the very end of the sort instead of in the middle of the sort so I threatened to grieve it and it never happened again.

I would talk to the preload sup or center manager and mention that the point of a break near the middle of the sort is for safety reasons to give people's bodies a rest.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am a brand new steward.

Atta boy.

Now, begins your training.

If I notice that the ten minute break isn't given within 3 hours of hub start time how do I handle it? One single grievance on every one's behalf? What results can come out of that grievance?

It's not right now. Just saying what if...

Right off the bat;

Don't immerse your time and thoughts on what might happen.

When a situation arises, and you're not sure how to handle it....

Network with other Stewards and your Local.

-Bug-

22.34life

Break is to be taken after the 1st and completed before the 3rd hour.if not speak with ur manager at that moment,if not corrected immediately file and ask for all effected employees to be paid plus ten minutes since break was not given at the cba time frame.

Motherload

Its my 7th day on the floor loading. Our area is short staffed 5 people. This is third day in a row that my sup has told us to work through the break. Today i worked 7 hours straight loading no break. Where do i go? How do i find my shop steward? I haven't worked here a month yet and with pink season everyone is new. My sup is a new transfer, i don't want this to become a habit of the new day sort.

F

Frankie's Friend

Its my 7th day on the floor loading. Our area is short staffed 5 people. This is third day in a row that my sup has told us to work through the break. Today i worked 7 hours straight loading no break. Where do i go? How do i find my shop steward? I haven't worked here a month yet and with pink season everyone is new. My sup is a new transfer, i don't want this to become a habit of the new day sort.
7th day?!

If you're a new hire maybe go to the bathroom for 10 min every day and keep your mouth closed until they call you back (or retain you) after "pink".

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

*peak season

If it’s your 7th day you need to keep your head down and work as instructed

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
you know they can't deny you water or a bathroom break

DOK

I am a brand new steward. If I notice that the ten minute break isn't given within 3 hours of hub start time how do I handle it? One single grievance on every one's behalf? What results can come out of that grievance?

In our supplement there is no break for part time inside operations. During peak the preload starts at midnight and works straight through until 9am. Can you imagine unloading trailers for all that time?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
In our supplement there is no break for part time inside operations. During peak the preload starts at midnight and works straight through until 9am. Can you imagine unloading trailers for all that time?
What about state law?
Break is to be taken after the 1st and completed before the 3rd hour.if not speak with ur manager at that moment,if not corrected immediately file and ask for all effected employees to be paid plus ten minutes since break was not given at the cba time frame.
Honestly what reason is there for a break just one hour into the shift. To suck on a lollipop?

Oregon it must be on the second hour to satisfy the middle portion of a 4-hour period. They have tried 1 hour breaks in the past and I would keep plugging away until 2 hours hit. Then some steward/manager would ask what I was doing and the next week we go back to 2 hour or more breaks.

Last edited: