Huge MIP changes announced soon

DeCurtis

So basically let you do what ever you want and see if we make any money..

great business model...they will start teaching that at Harvard next year, (let you employees run amok see if you make any money) BS101....
Customers love us Drivers, and hate management almost as much as we do. You lose the company money on a regular basis while Drivers earn it.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Customers love us Drivers, and hate management almost as much as we do. You lose the company money on a regular basis while Drivers earn it.
They love you as the driver..not as one of their employees...you would be fired by the end of the week if you worked for one of them. I have seen it happen.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE

great business model...they will start teaching that at Harvard next year, (let you employees run amok see if you make any money) BS101....
Yeah, that’s exactly what I said. End all management so we can do whatever we want

It’s unfortunate that every time a member of management feels insulted, they resort to “I’m smarter than you truck driver guy” 😁

You know as well as I do that there’s a lot of fat hanging off of this company that needs to be burned. Don’t forget, we drive around and drop boxes off, chief. It’s not rocket science.
You’re a center manager? You guys are spoken to like you are the scum of the earth by people who have no idea what in the hell they are talking about.
It starts at the top, and brother we ain’t it

Last edited:

brownIEman

Yeah, he's repeating the old "we could run this company better than management "

I had a steward tell me that years ago, I think he wanted to start an argument.
Instead, I agreed with him 100%.
Told him,
"You guys are out there servicing customers and performing the work every day, you absolutely could run this thing better, more profitably than we ever could. Too bad you wouldn't. "

I've been to a tiny rural center that spent years without a manager assigned, much less visited, and maybe a ORS visit every other month (assuming the guy actually went when he said he did). Senior drivers basically called the shots. Wound up with the senor guys getting lots of hours and very few deliveries while pushing anything they didn't want to do onto the lower seniority guys. Was a total crap show.
My favorite part was reading the report from the manager they finally brought in from another state and tasked with cleaning house. No one in the center knew him so he dressed as a civilian and did a week or so of observations. Tracked a senor driver make a few deliveries, take an extended break, long lunch. Then the absolute best, the driver stopped at a livestock auction, bought a couple sheep and dropped them off at his ranch. In the package car and all on the clock.
True story. Still makes me chuckle.

brownIEman

Clean house. Give us the boxes and addresses and a number to call when someone gets hurt or wrecks. Stop paying people to micro manage people who micromanage us all day from behind a computer screen.
On road, it’s the real world, the numbers are meaningless, and the sups berating drivers about production only subtract from our effectiveness and willingness to “help the team” out.
You know those extra work volunteer sheets? Those things used to get filled up every time.
Now we can’t even get one signature!!
UPS, WE are your bread and butter; the people who actually do the work. The amount of space, time and money the company spends on its management team is astounding.
What's really ironic about your suggestion is that it was tried years ago by the then CEO. It was called Work Teams, the idea was to slowly reduce center management and let teams of drivers meet weekly to make routing and other work assignment decisions.
The IBT went completely apoplectic.

What's really ironic about your suggestion is that it was tried years ago by the then CEO. It was called Work Teams, the idea was to slowly reduce center management and let teams of drivers meet weekly to make routing and other work assignment decisions.
The IBT went completely apoplectic.
It’s necessary to have management
It’s not necessary to have managers who watch the managers who watch the managers
Better, not bigger? Hire drivers, cut fat

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
I remember those days, team concept. I was on the cost team. It was revealed that driver follow ups cost the company $150. Negative follow ups also cost the $150 plus the value of the lost merchandise. That was in the 90's pre strike.

How is it that I'm still chasing down $21 Amazon crap that I dr fd just like I'm told to because some dipwad decides they now want a signature in 2021?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I remember those days, team concept. I was on the cost team. It was revealed that driver follow ups cost the company $150. Negative follow ups also cost the $150 plus the value of the lost merchandise. That was in the 90's pre strike.

How is it that I'm still chasing down $21 Amazon crap that I dr fd just like I'm told to because some dipwad decides they now want a signature in 2021?

The whole “team concept” was nothing but a scam, the Company was setting up to take control of the teamster’s pension funding with the “97” contract. Teamsters “bad”/ Company “good” and really cares for your well being...

We saw through it from the get go...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Yeah, he's repeating the old "we could run this company better than management "

I had a steward tell me that years ago, I think he wanted to start an argument.
Instead, I agreed with him 100%.
Told him,
"You guys are out there servicing customers and performing the work every day, you absolutely could run this thing better, more profitably than we ever could. Too bad you wouldn't. "

I've been to a tiny rural center that spent years without a manager assigned, much less visited, and maybe a ORS visit every other month (assuming the guy actually went when he said he did). Senior drivers basically called the shots. Wound up with the senor guys getting lots of hours and very few deliveries while pushing anything they didn't want to do onto the lower seniority guys. Was a total crap show.
My favorite part was reading the report from the manager they finally brought in from another state and tasked with cleaning house. No one in the center knew him so he dressed as a civilian and did a week or so of observations. Tracked a senor driver make a few deliveries, take an extended break, long lunch. Then the absolute best, the driver stopped at a livestock auction, bought a couple sheep and dropped them off at his ranch. In the package car and all on the clock.
True story. Still makes me chuckle.
If you knew all the things that were hauled around in pkg cars back in the day your pocket protector would explode

from a new hot water tank to half a cord of fire wood to a go cart the list goes on and on

brownIEman

The whole “team concept” was nothing but a scam, the Company was setting up to take control of the teamster’s pension funding with the “97” contract. Teamsters “bad”/ Company “good” and really cares for your well being...

We saw through it from the get go...

So you guzzled the IBT coolaide about that bit. You're not alone, the IBT propaganda machine went into overdrive.

That concept had no connection to the pension, it was a plan put together by an outside consulting firm, not hardline anti union UPS old guard. Oz, the CEO at the time was 100% committed to the idea of reducing production push, reducing management and allowing front line employees more say and control.

Now, weather he was 100% committed because he believed the consultants that the costs of lower production would be made up for by better service or because he was trying to get into the pants of a female executive at the consulting firm, we may never know.
Production slowed, damages, missorts, wrong address deliveries, late air, and all the other service metrics that were supposed to improve to make up the costs did not budge. Thanks IBT!

But hey, rumor has it he did get into that gals pants, so maybe it was all worth it.

brownIEman

If you knew all the things that were hauled around in pkg cars back in the day your pocket protector would explode

from a new hot water tank to half a cord of fire wood to a go cart the list goes on and on

The days of meeting up at Denny's for a grand slam breakfast while sheeting up half the route on paper delivery records are, I'm sure, still reminisced about by the real old timers. Good times.

Sorry new guys, DIAD and telematics ended that party before most of you were born...

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
So you guzzled the IBT coolaide about that bit. You're not alone, the IBT propaganda machine went into overdrive.

That concept had no connection to the pension, it was a plan put together by an outside consulting firm, not hardline anti union UPS old guard. Oz, the CEO at the time was 100% committed to the idea of reducing production push, reducing management and allowing front line employees more say and control.

Now, weather he was 100% committed because he believed the consultants that the costs of lower production would be made up for by better service or because he was trying to get into the pants of a female executive at the consulting firm, we may never know.
Production slowed, damages, missorts, wrong address deliveries, late air, and all the other service metrics that were supposed to improve to make up the costs did not budge. Thanks IBT!

But hey, rumor has it he did get into that gals pants, so maybe it was all worth it.

Hope his wife never got air of it, worth half his enormous pension ... worth it...naught

I have never drank any kool aid from any IBT source, just have half a brain...thank you

brownIEman

Hope his wife never got air of it, worth half his enormous pension ... worth it...naught

I have never drank any kool aid from any IBT source, just have half a brain...thank you

If I remember correctly he was divorced. Not sure if he got divorced first and then pursued the affair or the affair contributed to the divorce. The affair and the craptastic failure that was the team concept did lead to him being pushed out as CEO.

There is a school of thought that the hardline taken by the company later in 97 was partly due to a feeling of betrayal by the IBT when they actively sought to get the team concept to fail which helped the zero improvement in service and cost the company hundreds of millions.
Personally, I don't subscribe to that line of reasoning.

However, I am quite certain the team concept was in no way a secret plan to grab the pension. Ironically, that would come years later in a horse trade for organizing Overnight/UPS freight which helped destroy that outfit and wounnd up costing the company billions... Thanks IBT! 😊

(OK, that one was certainly not all on the IBT, I'm just jerking your chain on that one)

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Clean house. Give us the boxes and addresses and a number to call when someone gets hurt or wrecks. Stop paying people to micro manage people who micromanage us all day from behind a computer screen.
On road, it’s the real world, the numbers are meaningless, and the sups berating drivers about production only subtract from our effectiveness and willingness to “help the team” out.
You know those extra work volunteer sheets? Those things used to get filled up every time.
Now we can’t even get one signature!!
UPS, WE are your bread and butter; the people who actually do the work. The amount of space, time and money the company spends on its management team is astounding.
Okay Lenin let the workers run the show and we'll have paradise?

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
If I remember correctly he was divorced. Not sure if he got divorced first and then pursued the affair or the affair contributed to the divorce. The affair and the craptastic failure that was the team concept did lead to him being pushed out as CEO.

There is a school of thought that the hardline taken by the company later in 97 was partly due to a feeling of betrayal by the IBT when they actively sought to get the team concept to fail which helped the zero improvement in service and cost the company hundreds of millions.
Personally, I don't subscribe to that line of reasoning.

However, I am quite certain the team concept was in no way a secret plan to grab the pension. Ironically, that would come years later in a horse trade for organizing Overnight/UPS freight which helped destroy that outfit and wounnd up costing the company billions... Thanks IBT! 😊

(OK, that one was certainly not all on the IBT, I'm just jerking your chain on that one)
It's always funny to me when IBT people try to lecture us on how to run a company

With such business geniuses at hand, why even bother with UPS? They could start their own company and run us out of business with their brotherhood!

It's always funny to me when IBT people try to lecture us on how to run a company

With such business geniuses at hand, why even bother with UPS? They could start their own company and run us out of business with their brotherhood!
No but it sure would be nice if the company took some suggestions from the hourlys. My stupid boss don't even know where my route is. So how can you tell me what I should be able to do or what areas fit on my route.

I’m not lecturing anybody
You’re getting the perspective of the guys who actually do the work that you try to plan for
You can either take it or leave it
Believe me, not all of us are idiots