Hurt on the job. PIP?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by coolslice, Aug 26, 2016.

  1. coolslice

    coolslice Member

    I was hurt on the package car last month and will likely be off for 2 or 3 months. Everyone has told me that I need to file for PIP insurance. The problem is nobody knows who pays it or how to file for it, but everyone swears it exists. The union says it isn't them, and Liberty Mutual says it's not them either.

    Does anyone have any insight? It would be greatly appreciated.
  2. cosmo1

    cosmo1 Now, a low life jack wagon, and still loving it.

    What is PIP insurance?

    You should be on workers' compensation.
  3. Big Arrow Down...D

    Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

    Probably like Aflac, he would have to pay for himself...I do, comes out of my check weekly.
  4. Wally

    Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

    What state?
  5. coolslice

    coolslice Member

    This is in KY. I am on workers comp, but I'm told this is supplemental. It is supposed to be for injuries in the package car. It is supposed to amount to roughly an extra $200 per week that is paid in a lump sum when you return to work. I know of people that have received it, but their injuries were over 10 years ago.
  6. cosmo1

    cosmo1 Now, a low life jack wagon, and still loving it.

    You would have had to buy it before you were hurt.
  7. upschuck

    upschuck Well-Known Member

    Yes, you do get that, know several people who have gotten that. Have no idea how they went about getting it, but probably something sup has to put in.
  8. Gumby

    Gumby *

    You may be covered on your personal insurance
  9. retiredTxfeeder

    retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

    PIP (personal injury protection) is offered to you by the insurer of your personal car, State farm, etc. It is offered to you when you buy your insurance and is an extension of your policy.. You can approve or decline it. Sometimes the agent just adds it to your policy since it is extremely inexpensive. You have to call your agent to see if you have it or not. If you were injured while driving (it hasn't got to be your personal car) You may be eligible for PIP. You have to provide a certain number of paystubs to prove how much you make, and if you are covered, they will pay your lost salary. I used it for an injury I sustained while driving a feeder. The amount of money you receive is a set amount specified in your policy. Good luck to you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. DOK

    DOK Active Member

    Is this only in certain states? Never heard of it.
  11. 3 done 3 to go

    3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

    Tx is correct. PIP is thru your own car insurance
  12. Monkey Butt

    Monkey Butt Dark Prince of Double Standards Staff Member

    And the amazing thing is that y'all were able to figure this out without Dave. Impressive!
  13. 3 done 3 to go

    3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

    Good thing. He's in a mood tonight. Red X 's flying
  14. coolslice

    coolslice Member

    I have read that it is tied into your personal auto insurance, but the guys in my center that have claimed it said they are certain it wasn't their insurance policy that covered it. I will check with my personal insurance, but from what I've been told this is something different.
  15. 3 done 3 to go

    3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

    Most insurance (local) will not know this. You need to tell Them to look into it specifically. Mine was surprised