I’m a 22 year old 22.4 driver and I feel like quitting. Need advice

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Missed your point? No. I got it. I just don't agree with it....but then you are a manager.

I never went into supervision because I couldn't treat people like you do.

I stayed for the money and benefits. There is zero satisfaction in this job. Again my words stand.

What I do see-bunches of "mgt" looking like they're all about to be "let go"....or contracted out. chuckle.
You assume I learned my management style at UPS...you have no idea how I treat people.

I copied and posted from another site what a managers role and responsibilities include, I thought is was a pretty good representation on what I do every day. You can put the spin on it how ever you like.

1647772919026.png

Take UPS out of the picture and managers in most business do the same thing every day.

I also stayed for the pay and benefits..it was just way better in management.

I am at that point in my career where I am not worried about being let go, we will see what 2023 brings.

To original poster, if you do not want to be here now, you won't want to be here in 5,10, 20, 30 years.

You assume I learned my management style at UPS...you have no idea how I treat people.

I copied and posted from another site what a managers role and responsibilities include, I thought is was a pretty good representation on what I do every day. You can put the spin on it how ever you like.

View attachment 377143

Take UPS out of the picture and managers in most business do the same thing every day.

I also stayed for the pay and benefits..it was just way better in management.

I am at that point in my career where I am not worried about being let go, we will see what 2023 brings.

So Quad guy, any other driver drivel you wanna post on how it is in management?

To original poster, if you do not want to be here now, you won't want to be here in 5,10, 20, 30 years.
This job certainly isn't getting any easier

DriverNerd

The problem with this list is it's just vague corporate speak. It's like saying as a driver, I'm a customer service provider. Yes, technically that is what I am, but doesn't give anyone any idea of what I actually do. Sure, hiring, training, and terminations are easy enough to understand, but "Monitoring performance and initiating action to strengthen results" sounds important, but what it really means (at UPS) is threatening and harassing union employees to meet numbers that have no basis in reality.

opie

They beat those guys up pretty good.
I think you have to work at least two weeks in a row before your day off and if you call off you're gone.
Is unbelievable how many mail carriers in the past couple years they quit their job
People think because it's mostly letters, small packages and in a tiny car that it's easier. When you get hired, you start off as a temp. Working 6 days a week, Sundays and all the holidays. Benefits are slim to none until you make regular.

People think because it's mostly letters, small packages and in a tiny car that it's easier. When you get hired, you start off as a temp. Working 6 days a week, Sundays and all the holidays. Benefits are slim to none until you make regular.
And every route is different. Lots of those rocks or Garbage routes we're doing more walking and going up and down steps and you are driving

Steamer

Hello, I’m 22 years old and have been a 22.4 driver for close to a year now and looking for advice from fellow UPSers

I started working at UPS when I was 18 and was a loader until I turned 21 and became a 22.4 driver. After the grueling 30 day probation and a couple months of driving I thought I’ve really gotten the hang of things and this was going to be the beginning and the end of my working career. Fast forward to a year later I have had no problems being a proficient driver but the physical toll (thus turning into a mental toll) is starting to weigh on me.

I love being a driver with all the good and bad that comes with it but I’m getting to a point where I don’t think my body can take doing 200-220 stops with 300-350 packages 10h avg every day 5-6 days a week. I know this is the norm for a lot of drivers out there but I can’t see myself doing this for years. My lower back and shoulders feel like they’re slowly deteriorating into irreversible damage as the months go on.

I’m conflicted on quitting because although I believe I’m doing fairly well currently financial wise and have no worries about that I feel like I’m throwing away a very good career.

I’m mainly posting this because I’m wondering what my options are going forward. Best case scenario is I’d like to go back to the hub and continue driving part time.

Thank you for reading this far. I hope none of you think I’m just lazy. I believe I’m a very hard worker and that’s what’s even got me this far but I am prioritizing my current and future physical well being.
You're already talking yourself out of the job. That's how it starts. You have love it or leave it. You're in pain? Aren't we all? Eat plenty of nutritious food. Plenty of meats and veggies. Bulk up on weekends and build muscle with extra calories which includes junk food for extra calories to build something. Cut calories during the week to stay in shape. The body only rebuilds itself during resting periods. So grow muscle when resting over the weekend. Protein is the key with extra calories to build. Build muscle around those joints. It makes a huge difference. It takes time though. The average body can only build about 2lbs of muscle a month. Muscle it made of protein. So eat plenty of it during the week to maintain muscle. Eat plenty on the weekends with extra calories to build muscle. Good luck.

I've seen guys look like sticks because they don't eat enough protein and tear down their muscles all week not rebuilding it. I've seen fat older guys with easier routes too because they are eating too much junk. The fat older guys are actually stronger. Because they have maintained that muscle with extra calories and protein by accident of course and they didn't know it. Usually the sticks not eating enough food are the ones with more shoulder pain. Heavier guys are the ones with more knee pain hammering their knees and hips all day with weight. When you break muscle down it needs rest and building blocks to rebuild. If you don't you're just cannibalizing your own body's muscle for energy.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You're already talking yourself out of the job. That's how it starts. You have love it or leave it. You're in pain? Aren't we all? Eat plenty of nutritious food. Plenty of meats and veggies. Bulk up on weekends and build muscle with extra calories which includes junk food for extra calories to build something. Cut calories during the week to stay in shape. The body only rebuilds itself during resting periods. So grow muscle when resting over the weekend. Protein is the key with extra calories to build. Build muscle around those joints. It makes a huge difference. It takes time though. The average body can only build about 2lbs of muscle a month. Muscle it made of protein. So eat plenty of it during the week to maintain muscle. Eat plenty on the weekends with extra calories to build muscle. Good luck.

I've seen guys look like sticks because they don't eat enough protein and tear down their muscles all week not rebuilding it. I've seen fat older guys with easier routes too because they are eating too much junk. The fat older guys are actually stronger. Because they have maintained that muscle with extra calories and protein by accident of course and they didn't know it. Usually the sticks not eating enough food are the ones with more shoulder pain. Heavier guys are the ones with more knee pain hammering their knees and hips all day with weight. When you break muscle down it needs rest and building blocks to rebuild. If you don't you're just cannibalizing your own body's muscle for energy.
Us fat guys are warmer in winter too.

Whither

Scofflaw
They beat those guys up pretty good.
I think you have to work at least two weeks in a row before your day off and if you call off you're gone.
Is unbelievable how many mail carriers in the past couple years they quit their job
This past Mon I crossed paths with a letter carrier on my old route (I still get some of that area on Mondays) and he was telling me they're all working 10-12 hrs a day regularly at his building. Said the new hires don't walk but run away haha. I said, no wonder when they're working em into the ground without any time off! He's 2 years from retirement and doesn't get a weekend -- yes he gets 2 days off, but they're split. No thanks!

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
My advice to you is to apply to every civil service/government job, apprenticeship for skilled trades, or get a college degree online and join the military as an officer. Once another stable career path gives you a chance, take it and run with it. You are too young to commit to UPS. This company is not what it was even when I started. It is only going to get worse with more technology, management harrassment, and a weak union. Get the hell out of here while you are young and don't have to worry about kids, a mortgage, etc. You can find comparable pay and benefits in many other jobs/careers. Don't drink the kool aid thinking that this place has to be your last stop.

In terms of your workload: it will be impossible to control stop counts due to the fact that you don't have a route. As a 22.4, you will probably pick and do the routes left over. This you can't control. What you can control however is taking your breaks/lunch at the correct time, working safe, and not letting the company bullcrap get to you. 300 stops? Fine. Work safe until you have to head back or they send help. Too many pick up? Send a message and keep working safe. Don't make their problems your problems, and NEVER bring this job home. Good luck to you.
You couldn’t be more correct about becoming an officer not enlisted. Anyhow is UPS still a career? I left when it started to look like a gig

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Maybe Nova Scotia(not sweating)....

I'm sorry this statement is devoid of reality. Especially anywhere south of Minnesota....
No you can include Minnesota. Even in the winter. Learned the hard way my first time around that bibs will make you sweat even in -30° weather once you get back in that warm locomotive…