I’ve worked 59.57 hours this week, and now I’m forced to work Saturday. Now what?

I am a 22.4 and normally a T-Sat driver, but was forced in on Monday. Now I’m at 59.57 hours before starting this morning and they told me I am forced to go in.

Should I show up? No, the 70-hour rule is NOT in effect at my center. This is the first time I’ve hit 60 hours so I’m not sure what to do. I really don’t even want to go to the center for 28 minutes but I don’t want to get in trouble either.

Any advice? Thanks

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am a 22.4 and normally a T-Sat driver, but was forced in on Monday. Now I’m at 59.57 hours before starting this morning and they told me I am forced to go in.

Should I show up? No, the 70-hour rule is NOT in effect at my center. This is the first time I’ve hit 60 hours so I’m not sure what to do. I really don’t even want to go to the center for 28 minutes but I don’t want to get in trouble either.

Any advice? Thanks
Coffee, then go to work? You can work, you just can't drive.

When you told them how many hours you have left, what did they say? If I'm forced in, you better be sure I get my 8 hours.

Cloud

Call them in the morning: "It's Bob. I have no hours today, I can't work today." End of story. If you go over 60 hours, then they will try to blame it on you for a DOT violation.

I told my supervisor and center manager (no response to messages). The Saturday supervisor is different and I do not have their number.

But okay I should show up? I’m quite annoyed

DriverNerd

5. All 22.4 combination drivers shall be guaranteed eight (8) consecutive hours of straight time pay per day, if reporting as scheduled
It's in the contract.

Don't drive over 60 hours, unless UPS tells you they are using the 70 hour rule. It's your responsibility too, not just theirs. You don't even need to tell them you're out of hours on Friday, but you did the right thing and covered your ass by doing so. One week during peak this year I worked 72 hours. 60 Monday through Friday, and 12 as a helper on Saturday.

wilberforce15

People underestimate just how identifying all this information is. Be just a little more vague.

How many drivers in the company are a Tues-Sat 22.4 driver with 59.57 hours being forced to go in on Monday?

I'm guessing 1 in the entire company. Anybody in the management team or with access to the information could easily pinpoint.

over9five

Staff member
If you don't want to work, ya, you can try telling him you have only a few minutes left till your 60.
BUT.... all he has to do is say you're on 70 now. They can do it for everybody or they can do it just for you. It's all up to them.
That being said, I bet you get out of it just telling some dumb Saturday sup that you're out of hours.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
If you don't want to work, ya, you can try telling him you have only a few minutes left till your 60.
BUT.... all he has to do is say you're on 70 now. They can do it for everybody or they can do it just for you. It's all up to them.
That being said, I bet you get out of it just telling some dumb Saturday sup that you're out of hours.
Not totally true for package car.
This is from article 26 NMA. OP, this may answer your questions as well.

Section 5. DOT Hours of Service
The Company shall not change the DOT sixty (60) hours in seven (7) days to the seventy (70) hours in eight (8) days rule for package drivers except at Peak. With prior approval of the Company’s President of Labor Relations and the Teamster’s Package Division Director, the DOT standard may also be changed if required due to Acts of God or emergencies creating service disruptions. When the Company changes the sixty (60) hour rule it shall first solicit vol- unteers to work in excess of sixty (60) hours from all package car
- 83 -

Article 26
drivers in the center. If sufficient volunteers cannot be obtained to cover the over sixty (60) work hours, the Company will first force seasonal package car drivers, non-seniority package car drivers, part-time cover driver classifications and, then Article 22.4(b) drivers. Seniority package car drivers will only be forced after exhausting the seasonal, non-probationary drivers force process, part-time cover driver classifications and Article 22.4(b) drivers. No regular package car driver red circled under Article 22.4(b) will be forced to work on a day off and exceed sixty (60) hours unless he has a full eight (8) hours of duty available. Any regular or Article 22.4 package car driver who volunteers or is forced to work over sixty (60) hours in a week pursuant to this paragraph will be compensated at double-time for those hours. This para- graph supersedes any provision in any Supplement, Rider or Ad- dendum which addresses this subject. This Section is not intended to give the Company the right to force seniority package car driv- ers to work on a weekend unless permitted by the applicable Sup- plement, Rider or Addendum.

In other words, if your building hasn’t approved a 70 hour week, then you can’t be forced in. If they have you’re gonna get double time all day today so take your breaks, work safe, and jam it straight up their asses.

People underestimate just how identifying all this information is. Be just a little more vague.

How many drivers in the company are a Tues-Sat 22.4 driver with 59.57 hours being forced to go in on Monday?

I'm guessing 1 in the entire company. Anybody in the management team or with access to the information could easily pinpoint.
A lot more then you think.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
Not totally true for package car.
This is from article 26 NMA. OP, this may answer your questions as well.

Section 5. DOT Hours of Service
The Company shall not change the DOT sixty (60) hours in seven (7) days to the seventy (70) hours in eight (8) days rule for package drivers except at Peak. With prior approval of the Company’s President of Labor Relations and the Teamster’s Package Division Director, the DOT standard may also be changed if required due to Acts of God or emergencies creating service disruptions. When the Company changes the sixty (60) hour rule it shall first solicit vol- unteers to work in excess of sixty (60) hours from all package car
- 83 -

Article 26
drivers in the center. If sufficient volunteers cannot be obtained to cover the over sixty (60) work hours, the Company will first force seasonal package car drivers, non-seniority package car drivers, part-time cover driver classifications and, then Article 22.4(b) drivers. Seniority package car drivers will only be forced after exhausting the seasonal, non-probationary drivers force process, part-time cover driver classifications and Article 22.4(b) drivers. No regular package car driver red circled under Article 22.4(b) will be forced to work on a day off and exceed sixty (60) hours unless he has a full eight (8) hours of duty available. Any regular or Article 22.4 package car driver who volunteers or is forced to work over sixty (60) hours in a week pursuant to this paragraph will be compensated at double-time for those hours. This para- graph supersedes any provision in any Supplement, Rider or Ad- dendum which addresses this subject. This Section is not intended to give the Company the right to force seniority package car driv- ers to work on a weekend unless permitted by the applicable Sup- plement, Rider or Addendum.

In other words, if your building hasn’t approved a 70 hour week, then you can’t be forced in. If they have you’re gonna get double time all day today so take your breaks, work safe, and jam it straight up their asses.
This answers a question I've wondered since the first time they flipped hours on the IVIS. I'm feeder, only 18 months at UPS but a long time in trucking. I never heard of a company just flipping 60/7 and 70/8 all willy nilly.

When I hired on, our hub was short handed and balls to the walls so we were 70 when I started, flipped to 60 a few months later then back to 70 for peak then back to 60 all year until peak again.

So the company is federally declared 70/8 which I thought, because we operate class 8 sleeper trucks at locations nationwide. The 60 hour is a cap per the contract then. Makes sense now. I'm pretty sure you can't just flip 70/8 and 60/7 at will with the DOT.

DriverNerd

So the company is federally declared 70/8 which I thought, because we operate class 8 sleeper trucks at locations nationwide. The 60 hour is a cap per the contract then. Makes sense now. I'm pretty sure you can't just flip 70/8 and 60/7 at will with the DOT.
The company can switch 60-70 with the DOT anytime it pleases and the DOT will not care. They do not care who follows which rule as long as one is followed. The only reason it is in the contract is to avoid randomly increasing someone's week without them knowing at the last second.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
The company can switch 60-70 with the DOT anytime it pleases and the DOT will not care. They do not care who follows which rule as long as one is followed. The only reason it is in the contract is to avoid randomly increasing someone's week without them knowing at the last second.
Where is this done? On a website that it is instantly done and registered immediately? When I started driving, it would have had to been submitted by paper, the WWW wasn't a thing yet.

I came off the road 9 years ago, up until that time, if a company ran a sleeper truck that was used in OTR operations, the company had to be declared a 70 hour 8 day operation.

I'm not saying you're wrong or right, I legitimately don't know if things have changed, but I never heard of a company flipping their federally declared operation instantly at will.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

Any advice? Thanks
Keep in mind any time that you spent on the clock while coded as on break in your DIAD does not count towards the 60 hour rule. You must subtract out all your (paid off duty) break time from your total hours worked in order to calculate your available DOT hours for the 60 hour rule. The same would apply if you were under the 70 hour rule.