I am crappy but want to get better

just started last week, after I had driving school. First day massive failure, but every day was better than the previous. I am a PT air driver at night, and I feel like i have most of the aspects of that job down pretty well so far. My 600 series with and auto lost its breaks on the way back from a shuttle run on Friday, so I have to make my runs to the airport in a giant with a 4 speed. I can drive stick, i obviously did to pass my first driving test. But wow did i just drive like crap. So now all of the minor things Im not comfortable with are adding to the fact that driving a PC with a stick is nothing like my Honda at all and I couldnt get the feel for it. What's the secret to driving these big *******? I just cant get a couple of great days strung together so that I can power through this early phase.

just started last week, after I had driving school. First day massive failure, but every day was better than the previous. I am a PT air driver at night, and I feel like i have most of the aspects of that job down pretty well so far. My 600 series with and auto lost its breaks on the way back from a shuttle run on Friday, so I have to make my runs to the airport in a giant with a 4 speed. I can drive stick, i obviously did to pass my first driving test. But wow did i just drive like crap. So now all of the minor things Im not comfortable with are adding to the fact that driving a PC with a stick is nothing like my Honda at all and I couldnt get the feel for it. What's the secret to driving these big *******? I just cant get a couple of great days strung together so that I can power through this early phase.
Don't be concerned on speed just yet. Once you get comfortable driving the truck, it will get better.

J

jibbs

I can drive stick, i obviously did to pass my first driving test. But wow did i just drive like crap.

Don't feel bad, man, most of the stick-shifts still in service are pieces of shlt from what the drivers tell me.

I feel like the stick shift requirement should be removed given the ratio of manuals to automatics in-service, but that's probably because, just like you did on that day, I drive stick like crap. Never had any practice growing up but that's no excuse at my age, so I get where you're coming from.

You'll be alright though, bro, you'll get the hang of that :censored2: eventually and hopefully you'll be in a lot more automatics in the future.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I wouldn't want to be a brand new driver with all of this horse crap they want you to do.

They even want new drivers to get a sales lead while trying to qualify. WTF??

They drilled that in our brains at driving school. When my sup asks me why I took 15 minutes at a single stop, I'll tell him I was working on a sales lead. It's currently a "work in progress" but I'll keep trying....every single day.

oldngray

nowhere special
My route was mostly business with nothing changing. There were no new companies moving in for sales leads. UPS would insist I had to turn some in anyway but I ignored them.

I did find out sometimes sups would turn them in supposedly by me so the center numbers looked better.

They drilled that in our brains at driving school. When my sup asks me why I took 15 minutes at a single stop, I'll tell him I was working on a sales lead. It's currently a "work in progress" but I'll keep trying....every single day.
They try putting too much fear in these new guys. Then that forces some of them to make bad choices.

MC0493

Only real way to improve is to continue to do the job. I struggled passing the road test having just learned how to drive a manual. One day during my 30 days a manual appeared. When you don't have a choice, you learn quick. One stop at a time, one box at a time, stay focused. As someone else said here, slower is often smoother, smooth is fast. Work quick but don't rush, when you rush you'll make mistakes. The beginning is rough, just look towards the future and keep in mind that each day should be better than the last.

Notcool

I'm new and my rear door spring broke Friday they brought me an ancient manual truck. Second gear sounded like chopping wood. Third I had to wiggle it in. It was terrible. These manuals they have are junk. It's another thing you have to think about. I think they just wanted to see how I handled it. My sup even said it was poc. None of the manuals are the same. I drove one that was like butter once. Keep with it. It's a difficult job. They need drivers in my center just can't get people to qualify. So they over look alot her as long as your a hard worker and reliable and improving.

just finished my air shift. Got smacked with about 30 large packages from a flooring place, had to open 2 new bags 5 minutes before touch off. Left in time, felt pretty good. Now I just need to get more comfortable behind the wheel. Ive never put in this amount of work into preparing for a second job, but day 6 went a lot better than any day last week.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
just finished my air shift. Got smacked with about 30 large packages from a flooring place, had to open 2 new bags 5 minutes before touch off. Left in time, felt pretty good. Now I just need to get more comfortable behind the wheel. Ive never put in this amount of work into preparing for a second job, but day 6 went a lot better than any day last week.
Hang in there cowboy...one day it's just gonna click