I am rethinking UPS as a career

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Every job is stressful, any relationship will only make it if you respect each others choices, and keep the ability to make your own.
Yes time off work is better than work.
But I remember the day this job energized me. And added to my life. And I hopped out of bed and couldnt wait to go make money.
I am trying hard to get that mindset back.

curiousbrain

Every job is stressful, any relationship will only make it if you respect each others choices, and keep the ability to make your own.
Yes time off work is better than work.
But I remember the day this job energized me. And added to my life. And I hopped out of bed and couldnt wait to go make money.
I am trying hard to get that mindset back.

Is that feeling specific to this job, or was it specific to your age? I am fairly young, and I generally jump out of bed to get to work because I know that I make a difference there. As I proceed in my career, and get older, maybe that feeling will diminish; is that UPS's fault, or merely the "march of time"? I don't know .. but it's worth contemplating.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is that feeling specific to this job, or was it specific to your age? I am fairly young, and I generally jump out of bed to get to work because I know that I make a difference there. As I proceed in my career, and get older, maybe that feeling will diminish; is that UPS's fault, or merely the "march of time"? I don't know .. but it's worth contemplating.

I had a senior driver (recently retired) who told me that between years 20-25 the job tends to wear on you and you find it more difficult to go to work each day. He was right---I wake up in the morning and try to justify calling in. I took yesterday off as I just didn't feel like it.

Re-Raise

Been married 39 years and at UPS for 39 years.

Been married 26 years and at UPS for 26 years.

I think it always important to not take your spouse or your job at UPS for granted. That doesn't mean that you aren't going to have disagreements.

FBCA

I want out, but UPS has my balls in thier hands , I can not go anywhere . 24 yrs AND the grass is always NOT greener on the other side ? SO I guess I am stuck in a rut .[/QUOTE

It's hard to leave especially if you have lived beyond or right at your means. I recently had to quit UPS and at first it was very scary. I had my wife and mother in law telling me it's too good of a paying job to give up. I just recently was diagnosed bi polar and a bunch of other stuff. Now I have a new lease on life I will move to another state Arizona from California (too expensive) and retire early and do some fishing. The grass is not always greener but it look alot better when you don't feel locked into something you just don't like doing.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Been married 26 years and at UPS for 26 years.

I think it always important to not take your spouse or your job at UPS for granted. That doesn't mean that you aren't going to have disagreements.

Amen on both.

Marriage is the most important job and the hardest job I have ever had. I had to work harder at marriage than I ever did at UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It's the march of time... unfortunately my friend it happens to all of us no matter how hard we fight it.

GolfCart

I just HATE , when they say " WE want to get you home to see your family " so why do they dispatch 10 hrs days or longer !! I am a scratch driver ( so most days I get done early ) . I take my hr lunch break , I am just lucky my route plans good ( miles !!! ) SO when I complain to my boss , he knows I am telling the truth . When I work over 10 or 11 hrs , the next day I tell my boss to gps me , tellamatic me , heck even ride/follow me . I can not do this job any better or faster . Most of the time he will take work off the next day . Its just SAD that you have tp BEG for a " fair " day . I would ask for NO raise if I could have fair days again , and my boss stop harrasing everyone !!!! Ups has changed in the last 10 yrs !!!! 10 yrs ago , I LOVED my job , fair days , just do your job and go home ! No its , " Can you go help Bubba " " go make a extra pick up " now IHATE MY JOB !!!!!

UPSGUY72

I just HATE , when they say " WE want to get you home to see your family " so why do they dispatch 10 hrs days or longer !! I am a scratch driver ( so most days I get done early ) . I take my hr lunch break , I am just lucky my route plans good ( miles !!! ) SO when I complain to my boss , he knows I am telling the truth . When I work over 10 or 11 hrs , the next day I tell my boss to gps me , tellamatic me , heck even ride/follow me . I can not do this job any better or faster . Most of the time he will take work off the next day . Its just SAD that you have tp BEG for a " fair " day . I would ask for NO raise if I could have fair days again , and my boss stop harrasing everyone !!!! Ups has changed in the last 10 yrs !!!! 10 yrs ago , I LOVED my job , fair days , just do your job and go home ! No its , " Can you go help Bubba " " go make a extra pick up " now IHATE MY JOB !!!!!

Stop busting you a-- and running scratch every day and you won't be getting sent to go help the other driver that have already figured that out how to play the game.

Work harder and faster gets you more work. Slow down and don't take short cuts gets you less work and or help.

Amen on both.

Marriage is the most important job and the hardest job I have ever had. I had to work harder at marriage than I ever did at UPS.
My wife is always on a big production push and from time to time I get a warning letter. She doesn't believe in my weingarten rights and if she is really pissed will threaten termination. Just like ups I'm here because I truly love it.

GolfCart

I do NOT go help ( unless they say " go help or no job ) . I do play the game . I play the game very well . I do what is on the truck . Been on route forever , so I know how to play game . If I do go help , then I REALLY play the game . I go extra slow if I do go help someone . Some nights I punch out 1 min over 9.5 just to piss my boss off . At my center anyone who works over 9.5 goes on a list that goes to my district manager . So 1 min over is great , he HATES it !! He says " REALLY !!!" I laugh and say take some work off ............. Last time I had to go help someone was a 10.5 day , they did not ask me anymore :)

kingOFchester

Well all complain about the job.

But is it really as bad as we say?

For the most part we have job security.

If we follow the methods it is HARD to loose our jobs.

We are not stuck in some office pushing papers.

We get paid pretty good money to move boxes from truck to door.

For the most part we are out in the open air.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Fair question. Im not sure. I just know it was funner when I was 35, than now when I am not.
I dont make a difference, anyone can deliver a pkg.

preload1

I want out, but UPS has my balls in thier hands , I can not go anywhere . 24 yrs AND the grass is always NOT greener on the other side ? SO I guess I am stuck in a rut .
As you state UPS has your balls in their hands. No they don't. That's your fault. You say 24 yrs. Is that years of service or your age? From your post it sounds like your age and your I.Q. Noboby owes you ANYTHING in this life. Put on your big girl panties. Sounds like you've already out grown the ones your wearing now.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As you state UPS has your balls in their hands. No they don't. That's your fault. You say 24 yrs. Is that years of service or your age? From your post it sounds like your age and your I.Q. Noboby owes you ANYTHING in this life. Put on your big girl panties. Sounds like you've already out grown the ones your wearing now.
sorry but you sound like a pt supe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think you should unbutton the top button of your polo--it is cutting off the flow of blood to your brain.

GolfCart

WOW !!!!! Just one more BUTT HEAD , on this site . UPS is winning , driver vs driver , Thats what they want ! I have been working at UPS longer than your age punk ! I NEVER said ANYBODY OWES me anything . But when you give , give , give to UPS and they TAKE , TAKE , TAKE ............. money is not everything . I DO NOT want the overtime !!!!!!! I want fair days to get home to see my family , I enjoy coming home . You sound just like a sup , if you are not a driver . wow , it just blows my mind how many a holes out there !

GolfCart

Whats so funny is that I do HATE my job , BUT I am one of the best drivers in my center . That is what drives my boss NUTS !! I complain everyday , I am on the safty committie , I just do my job and go home . But he knows I tell the truth every time ! If I need air help or ground help , he knows I really do need help . We have some drivers that show up 1 min before start time , always in office about something , run off every night , have late air , miss pick ups just trouble drivers . So my boss would rather listen to me complain ALL the time , and do a good job for him , than never complain and make him look bad . Its all about the numbers at UPS NOT the people .