I am sick of working over 9 1/2 !

wornoutupser

My center refuses to back off of my dispatch. They refuse to pay over 9 1/2 greivances. I have back greivances to last May for over 9 1/2. If anyone has figured out how to stop this nightmare, please post it!

(Soapbox is removed :)

trickpony1

"they refuse to pay over 9.5 grievances.".

I have often wondered why the grievant couldn't get an attorney and initiate a class action lawsuit for this as "breach of contract".

No one takes the union seriously and it's getting worse.

My center refuses to back off of my dispatch. They refuse to pay over 9 1/2 greivances. I have back greivances to last May for over 9 1/2. If anyone has figured out how to stop this nightmare, please post it!

(Soapbox is removed :)
What does your union BA say about this?

Johngil

Your sick of working over 9-1/2?? Are you serious? Unemployment has hit over 8% nationwide, in the state I reside in, almost 9%. Do you know how lucky we all are that we have a job? Sometimes we all need a little dose of reality. I'd be happy to work over 9-1/2, and be looking for more.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Your sick of working over 9-1/2?? Are you serious? Unemployment has hit over 8% nationwide, in the state I reside in, almost 9%. Do you know how lucky we all are that we have a job? Sometimes we all need a little dose of reality. I'd be happy to work over 9-1/2, and be looking for more.
And this is why we have layoffs!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am sick of working 17-18 at UPS, and then 40-50 hours at 2nd job. Bring on the 9.5.
Your time will come! Like all new drivers you just want the job, but eventually your body breaks down, you miss your family, etc.

9.5 hours of delivering packages might sound easy right now, but 10, 15, 20 years into a career its not as easy anymore.

The reason ups agreed to 9.5 is because they did studies and found out that more injuries and accidents happen after the 9.5 because people get run down. Tired employees do not make sensible decisions under fatigue!

10 years from now you will bring up this thread, (ask hoax how to unbury dead threads) and you will say that i was right!

Overpaid Union Thug

And this is why we have layoffs!

Exactly! I've heard of couple of our sups here throwing those kind of comments around lately.

kingOFchester

Your time will come! Like all new drivers you just want the job, but eventually your body breaks down, you miss your family, etc.

9.5 hours of delivering packages might sound easy right now, but 10, 15, 20 years into a career its not as easy anymore.

The reason ups agreed to 9.5 is because they did studies and found out that more injuries and accidents happen after the 9.5 because people get run down. Tired employees do not make sensible decisions under fatigue!

10 years from now you will bring up this thread, (ask hoax how to unbury dead threads) and you will say that i was right!
Well stated!

And I agree. I only drove for a little under 3 months, and my knees have just recovered from Christmas. They weren't bad, just more uncomfortable then I am use to.

ladybrown

And I too, am sick of working over 9.5's and two days this week I worked 11.5... What I am really sick of is, working these hours and forcing a fellow teamster to be out of a job. How would you feel if drivers with more seniority than you were "sucking up" all these hours and you were the one in the unemployment line?

I dont mind the hours, when they are necessary! But right now when you are working all those "extra" hours, just remember, you are adding to that 8%.......and preventing a fellow teamster from working! Glad you arent in my center!!

CFLBrown

UPS is using the economy as an excuse to stop creating positions meanwhile there are areas all over the country that are still very heavy. I've seen drivers layed off while others are clocking out at 8:30pm in the same center. It's all becoming a stupid numbers game. Not everyone wants the overtime, and mgmt is constantly throwing 'be lucky you have a job' in everyone's face. Enjoy the OT while the people under you suffer. I guess it was their mistake for getting hired after you did.

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS is using the economy as an excuse to stop creating positions meanwhile there are areas all over the country that are still very heavy. I've seen drivers layed off while others are clocking out at 8:30pm in the same center. It's all becoming a stupid numbers game. Not everyone wants the overtime, and mgmt is constantly throwing 'be lucky you have a job' in everyone's face. Enjoy the OT while the people under you suffer. I guess it was their mistake for getting hired after you did.

I am calling it "Blanket Stupidity" since UPS is cutting routes everywhere instead of only where it's needed. We are still using voluntary layoffs on a day by day basis so drivers don't bump inside. This keeps part-timers from getting laid off. This always happens in January, February, early March. Not many drivers are taking vacation this time of year.

We are having plenty of heavy days though. Once vacations start our center will be screwed but I'm sure UPS will use the recession (that isn't happening here!) as an excuse to keep cutting routes. Meanwhile....the bonus babies will continue to run 1.5-2.5 hours under on those routes that plan 10 hours.

gandydancer

"they refuse to pay over 9.5 grievances.".

I have often wondered why the grievant couldn't get an attorney and initiate a class action lawsuit for this as "breach of contract".

No one takes the union seriously and it's getting worse.

Look at http://tdu.org/files/ngcminutes-feb09.pdf. Particularly down around p.18 et. seq. Lots of cases sent back down, which is basically telling the lower level to split the difference, or something. Now why should a grievant with a good case have to settle for less than what he's owed? Misses the whole point of discouraging the company from violating the contract. There are cases here where they mention they've been paid on this seven times before, and the company is still finding it worthwhile to do consistent overdispatch.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Excellent post.
I too felt that way when I was part time with 2 jobs and paychecks were handed out in a big wad, w/no envelopes, I could not wait to be a driver. They make so much $$!!!! I would NEVER EVER complain the way these drivers do, I would say to my ownself.
YES, Im lucky that I have a job and if I was poor like I used to be I would die for the overtime. BUT it does get draining.
And 20 yrs ago, I felt that I would , could never feel like I do now.
If only I could be a driver. :whiteflag:

sealbasher

if i hear 1 more person say u are lucky to have a job ill puke,i have to work my butt off to keep my job,busiest first 2 months ive had in 13 years

screamin chicken

My center has like 30 drivers and the country drivers are over disbatch as well as the metro drivers. I stay at 140-150 and it sucks. There are drivers coming in every night between 9-10 at night while they lay off the new drivers. You know twice a month you can get a request of 8 hrs. and they have to give it to you. I used one tonight and my stop count was 125 instead of 140-150 , so every other fri. I will use my 8 hr gurantee.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
if i hear 1 more person say u are lucky to have a job ill puke,i have to work my butt off to keep my job,busiest first 2 months ive had in 13 years

AMEN!!!!!!
Luck has played no role in my continued employment at UPS.
Hard work, commitment, and perseverance have allowed us to prevail in these difficult times where others have failed. This business is no game of chance.