I am sick of working over 9 1/2 !

S

speeddemon

Your sick of working over 9-1/2?? Are you serious? Unemployment has hit over 8% nationwide, in the state I reside in, almost 9%. Do you know how lucky we all are that we have a job? Sometimes we all need a little dose of reality. I'd be happy to work over 9-1/2, and be looking for more.

Whats the use of having a contract then? Lets just let the supervisors deliver your route and send your butt to the house.

spuman

And this is why we have layoffs!

Red,I know what your saying BUT,the only drivers layed off in our center
are the lunch skipping,on the truck before start time,afraid of the dark swing drivers that would still be doing all the above if they were driving. Just doing my part to make sure work is not being performed for free.

brownboxman

Wow !! A wide range of response on this one. Here is my take, 20 years into this I am 51 years old. I too am working over 9.5 pretty regularly, upper management is pushing our local center manager and sups to make us the scapegoat for everything. Get sales leads, higher sporh, more stops per car, better service, and my favorite, work safer. Well I think labor fought these battles decades ago and now UPS thinks because the economy is down now they can push anything on us they want. Folks just work at a safe pace, give a fair days work for a fair days pay. The pendulum will swing the other way again(Ihope). We had three accidents this week alone, this will be their cross to bare. I want to be home in a 8.5 to 9 hr time frame thats not unreasonable. After all they are the ones that want us to volunteer and be active in the community, no time in the evening, and no energy on the weekends. Yes I am gratefull to be employed but I will never reccomend UPS to anyone again to work for them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Your time will come! Like all new drivers you just want the job, but eventually your body breaks down, you miss your family, etc.

9.5 hours of delivering packages might sound easy right now, but 10, 15, 20 years into a career its not as easy anymore.

The reason ups agreed to 9.5 is because they did studies and found out that more injuries and accidents happen after the 9.5 because people get run down. Tired employees do not make sensible decisions under fatigue!

10 years from now you will bring up this thread, (ask hoax how to unbury dead threads) and you will say that i was right!
Thurs I was out blind on a rte in an old P800. High step, no power steering POS. One driver took a whole shelf off of me. Another was supposed to come and help but he didn't (but that is another story). I didn't clock out until 10:15pm. That truck beat the crap out of me, as did the rte. I was so tired this morning that I didn't even get on BC.:sick:

UPSNewbie

Thurs I was out blind on a rte in an old P800. High step, no power steering POS. One driver took a whole shelf off of me. Another was supposed to come and help but he didn't (but that is another story). I didn't clock out until 10:15pm. That truck beat the crap out of me, as did the rte. I was so tired this morning that I didn't even get on BC.:sick:

:surprised: That sounds brutal. How many stops?

Dilli, my current workers comp situation is due directly with delivering out of a p800. I was using proper methods and still got hurt.

screamin chicken

Wow !! A wide range of response on this one. Here is my take, 20 years into this I am 51 years old. I too am working over 9.5 pretty regularly, upper management is pushing our local center manager and sups to make us the scapegoat for everything. Get sales leads, higher sporh, more stops per car, better service, and my favorite, work safer. Well I think labor fought these battles decades ago and now UPS thinks because the economy is down now they can push anything on us they want. Folks just work at a safe pace, give a fair days work for a fair days pay. The pendulum will swing the other way again(Ihope). We had three accidents this week alone, this will be their cross to bare. I want to be home in a 8.5 to 9 hr time frame thats not unreasonable. After all they are the ones that want us to volunteer and be active in the community, no time in the evening, and no energy on the weekends. Yes I am gratefull to be employed but I will never reccomend UPS to anyone again to work for them.

you hit the nail on the head.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That truck is THE most miserable POS to drive. I literally crawl in and out of it.

I have been in one of these all this past week, and probably all next week too. My P7 had its rear bumper pushed in by a Saturn engine block and it caused a little dent beside the step bumper mount. One week at the body shop and another week at the paint shop. I feel like I am being punished for having an unavoidible accident. That 1981 POS-800 has to be the most miserable thing I have driven in years. My shoulders are shot from the manual steering and my knees are wornout from that 21" step out the side with 150-160 stops. I will probably kiss my 2005 P7 when I get it back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That truck is THE most miserable POS to drive. I literally crawl in and out of it.

I can relate...someone took my chair last week and I've been having to use one of the old chairs. I can't lean back in this one and put my feet up on the desk. My back is killing me...I guess I'll have to go chair hunting on Monday. :biting:

Last edited: