i can haz OMS?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i've been a preload supe for over 6 months, with two years as a preloader before that and my center manager came up to me the other day and offered me a position in the p.m. OMS

i jumped at the offer since i don't really care for preload (i love managing but i dislike the impossible standards)

i have a slight understanding of what a.m. OMS does, but what are the duties of a p.m. OMS? any tips or pitfalls to avoid?

thanks in advance

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of the things they have to do is make sure that pickups get covered. The full time management people are usually gone when the drivers get in (they do start three hours or so before drivers), so handling pickups and trying to deal with drivers helping other drivers is one of many things going on.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Get used to cleaning up the messes of the FT sups who were running misloads all day. My favorite part is when they say "you need to make sure no one stays out past 9" while you look at the clock and it's already 8. If you don't like impossible standards, well I'm sorry.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Get used to cleaning up the messes of the FT sups who were running misloads all day. My favorite part is when they say "you need to make sure no one stays out past 9" while you look at the clock and it's already 8. If you don't like impossible standards, well I'm sorry.

aren't impossible standards the norm with this company?

can't be worse than preload

iowa boy

our PM OMS spends more time working on homework and texting than doing actual work. This person never appears to be stressed out or pissed. Once the drivers are in and her paperwork is done, this person is usually gone by 9 or so every night unless the drivers are really late getting in.

Racf

I had this job in college and I really liked it- although i started in a smaller center. I started at 6 and most drivers were in by 7. The night consisted of taking care of concerns, uploading diads and running roports for the business manager to review in the morning. I worked with a second oms and we would alternate weeks on who would leave early. The last driver came in at 10 from the airport and then we could leave. Best job I ever had- UPS paid for school and I made 1300 a month for pretty much 2 1/2 of work per night. I used to want to be one of the guys in a shirt and tie and now I'm full time mgmt in a major city- it's very stressful, but overall the company has been good to me. I would do anything to be an OMS again though. I really had a lot of fun except for the occasional a-hole driver or center manager. It is a great stepping stone. I'm a senior manager now and the operational experience really helps. I have noticed that the OMS position does suck if you are in a large market, but it is what you make it

pott

I was midday for 13 years, about ten years manager from you know where came to our building turned my life upside down floated me throughout the bldg while other oms's had a lot less seniority sat like princesss......heard job not so good anymore!!!!