I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

France has been rioting over increased taxes for several weeks. Worst riots in 50 years.
riots are a sign of hope. was the american revolution a riot?

also if youve noticed some of the pop songs on the radio sing about being poor. i think theres at least 2 ive heard recently.

rickyb

i always remembered chomsky saying the republican party supported ending workers renting themselves as employees, but i dont remember hearing all of this:

"wage labour was an intolerable infringement on human rights. it wasnt a radical position, it was the slogan of the republican party, you could read it in the NY times editorials in 1870s, it was the slogan in which many northern workers fought the civil war, it was abraham lincoln's position, it was a major theme of the lively working class press" he said worker ownership and control of jobs remained a mainstream theme in america up until the corporatization of america 120 years ago. back then conservatives attacked the new corporatization of america because they rightly believed corporations infringed on markets and natural rights of humans.

vantexan

i always remembered chomsky saying the republican party supported ending workers renting themselves as employees, but i dont remember hearing all of this:

"wage labour was an intolerable infringement on human rights. it wasnt a radical position, it was the slogan of the republican party, you could read it in the NY times editorials in 1870s, it was the slogan in which many northern workers fought the civil war, it was abraham lincoln's position, it was a major theme of the lively working class press" he said worker ownership and control of jobs remained a mainstream theme in america up until the corporatization of america 120 years ago. back then conservatives attacked the new corporatization of america because they rightly believed corporations infringed on markets and natural rights of humans.

So how would people get paid for their work?

rickyb

meanwhile in canada:

Steve Saretsky‏ @SteveSaretsky

It's starting: The Bank of Canada purchased Canada Housing Trust bonds for the first time today, scooping up C$250 million. #QEforThePeople

Steve Saretsky‏ @SteveSaretsky 1h1 hour ago

Nothing at the moment suggests banks might be having funding/ liquidity troubles.. Remember if housing goes belly up the Bank of Canada will be buying a lot of mortgage debt to try and keep things stable. The same happened in the US

rickyb

financial terrorists:

Warren Gunnels‏ @GunnelsWarren 20h20 hours ago

Warren Gunnels Retweeted Bernie Sanders

During the Wall Street crash:
- 15 million lost homes
- Families lost $13 trillion in savings
- 27 million were un/under-employed

Jamie Dimon:
- Made over $248 million
- Is now a billionaire
- Bought a $17 million mansion
- His bank got a $400b+ bailout & paid billions in fines.

Warren Gunnels added,

DuQXjVYWwAA3AvV.jpg

3:15
Bernie SandersVerified account @SenSanders
"I don't look at a recession as a bad thing." - Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JP Morgan Chase (one of the big banks that crashed the economy 10 years ago).
48 replies 979 retweets 1,546 likes

rickyb

Fine. I want $150k a week and I don't do windows.
not knowing how much the capitalists are profiting off our labour, and taking orders from the capitalists all day are some of the worst ideas in the history of ideas.

im with the americans who used to think workers should own and control the jobs they work in.

vantexan

not knowing how much the capitalists are profiting off our labour, and taking orders from the capitalists all day are some of the worst ideas in the history of ideas.

im with the americans who used to think workers should own and control the jobs they work in.
Everyone is free in this country to do just that. Get training in a field where you can be your own boss. Not hard to do if you're determined. No one has a gun to their head to take any job.

rickyb

Everyone is free in this country to do just that. Get training in a field where you can be your own boss. Not hard to do if you're determined. No one has a gun to their head to take any job.
yesss but it was a common view for americans 100 years ago to be anti capitalist anti corporations altogether which is not what your saying.

vantexan

yesss but it was a common view for americans 100 years ago to be anti capitalist anti corporations altogether which is not what your saying.
They weren't anti capitalist as much as they were pro union. But, and thanks to unions, employers now provide many of the perks that diminish the need for unions. In bigger corporations at least.

rickyb

They weren't anti capitalist as much as they were pro union. But, and thanks to unions, employers now provide many of the perks that diminish the need for unions. In bigger corporations at least.
americans need unions very bad.

and i dont know about the union vs anticapitalism theory

financial terrorists:

Warren Gunnels‏ @GunnelsWarren 20h20 hours ago

Warren Gunnels Retweeted Bernie Sanders

During the Wall Street crash:
- 15 million lost homes
- Families lost $13 trillion in savings
- 27 million were un/under-employed

Jamie Dimon:
- Made over $248 million
- Is now a billionaire
- Bought a $17 million mansion
- His bank got a $400b+ bailout & paid billions in fines.

Warren Gunnels added,

DuQXjVYWwAA3AvV.jpg

3:15
Bernie SandersVerified account @SenSanders
"I don't look at a recession as a bad thing." - Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JP Morgan Chase (one of the big banks that crashed the economy 10 years ago).
48 replies 979 retweets 1,546 likes

“I think you were misinformed,”
-Jamie Dimon

Can you be more specific?

1. Bailout money given to JPM

2. Please also include the bailout that JPM gave the govt. (if you include the financial crisis, I count 3)

3. And include the details on the billions in fines. What were they for? Who was the money given to?

Recessions are part of the cycle, why be afraid of them?

vantexan

So what's your excuse?
I bought a truck to deliver travel trailers. Left FedEx after 11 years to do that because we weren't getting raises. It's the kind of work I enjoy but it doesn't pay. I drove 107,000 miles in 7 months and was barely breaking even but wearing out my truck. So I went back to FedEx. Of course they had a union scare while I was gone and gave some serious raises to topped out employees. Told me I would get back to top out in 7-8 years. Didn't happen and they were telling every new hire that, even 12 years after I returned. Got so bad that most new hires were quitting soon after hired. So they finally came up with a better pay plan that tops people out in 9 years. But it was just as I turned 55. Took an early pension. My knees ached all the time and still do just climbing stairs. I shouldn't have quit but had no hint they were going to give raises way back when. I was domiciled in a remote location in Colorado at the time. Was given a 39 cent raise 2 months before I quit. Went from $13.11 to $13.50 in an expensive area and mgr told me I'd better enjoy it, last one I'm going to see for a long time. And that was first I had in over 4 years. Got angry and quit. I have seriously paid for that. If I hadn't quit I would have been at $16.11 a little over a year later. With some more adjustments to follow. Would have been making over $26hr when I retired and would have a better pension. Hindsight is 20/20. I got rehired for the pension and as I sit here at nearly 10 a.m. I'm glad I did because a lot of jobs didn't offer a traditional pension then, most don't now. If one wants to go to work until their late 60's to pay for things they want more power to them. I want to see the world and having an independent income allows that. Would prefer an even bigger income and a couple hundred thousand in the bank, who wouldn't? But I'll take the freedom over the alternative.