I have a Felon for a boss

HazMatMan

TSG, it is not her credit that I was talking about, although your assumption that a convicted felon cannot have a good credit history is not necessarily accurate. Just because she passes hot checks doesn't mean she doesn't pay her bills on time.

The one recurring theme that I get from some of the posts that I find alarming is the lack of respect that some of you have for the personal and private information of your fellow employees or management personnel. Even more troubling to me is the way that you try to rationalize it by saying that she has a "rap sheet" and therefore it is OK to do a background check of your own. Quite frankly, her criminal record is none of your business and the decision to hire her is also none of your business. She is a supervisor and should therefore be accorded the respect the position deserves.

BTW, you can save your $20 on me. I have had 3 speeding tickets (Mass. State Troopers hide very well, especially on the Mass Pike), one accident (not my fault), and a credit score in the mid 700s.

If criminal records are nobodies business, should we do away with Megan's law?? If a convicted felon moved next to you wouldn't you want to know about it??? I also think there are ways to do a criminal background check with very little information that includes WITHOUT a social security number, there is no law saying I CANNOT do a background check on someone. This is in no way a personal attack on you, I just disagree with it and am stating my opinion...

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I realize there is no reason to be concerned until he finishes his legal actions. However my question was "If he is able to get off with probation and continues to work, should I say anything. Management may not ever become aware of it since he was arrested after he was hired."

tieguy

Banned
You seem to be worried more about how this person was able to do a background check than as to why UPS would hire such a person with a criminal record. OR, if this person accumulated this record after getting the job, my question would be how could UPS retain her as an employee???

it's something you have to evaluate on a case by case basis. People do change. We have one that was a gang banger as a teenager with lots of violent crimes on his record. Hired as a p/t package handler, then promoted to part time sup and now friend/t sup.

FromBluetoBrown

Ok here is my two cents. Back when I was in the Navy I was given a collateral duty as a brig chaser. What it entailed was if anybody needed to go to the brig we would take them there. I did that for 5 years in addition to my normal job. Out of my 7 year career I probaly handled maybe 25-30 prisoners. The one thing I learned to never do was to open up their file. Why? Because I really had no interest in what they had done to be sent to the brig. I wanted to treat each prisoner with an open mind. I have a dim view of rapists, drug addicts, and molesters and I felt if I had been able to see their file and I might have not been so careful as to make sure they made it down the stairs safely.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Ok here is my two cents. Back when I was in the Navy I was given a collateral duty as a brig chaser. What it entailed was if anybody needed to go to the brig we would take them there. I did that for 5 years in addition to my normal job. Out of my 7 year career I probaly handled maybe 25-30 prisoners. The one thing I learned to never do was to open up their file. Why? Because I really had no interest in what they had done to be sent to the brig. I wanted to treat each prisoner with an open mind. I have a dim view of rapists, drug addicts, and molesters and I felt if I had been able to see their file and I might have not been so careful as to make sure they made it down the stairs safely.

So you would have hurt someone because they had a drug problem?

FromBluetoBrown

Not necessarily, but we did have a guy at the squadron I was with who was very highly placed and we had a fire burn down half of our base housing and we all throw some money in and ended up raising amost $70,000. He stole it all to support his drug habit.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Not necessarily, but we did have a guy at the squadron I was with who was very highly placed and we had a fire burn down half of our base housing and we all throw some money in and ended up raising amost $70,000. He stole it all to support his drug habit.

When I first read this I thought they were throwing money into the fire!!:laughing:

celsiana

Didn't need the ss#
I used Public data .com Just needed the name and birthdate. Her birthdate was on the calender Dah!
All we found out was public records. All I found out was in Freedom of Information Act. All legal. But it is scary that I know know her DL# and where she lives now because it is included the freedom of information ex...... and who lives with her.
The PT supe acts like a Prison Guard more than a felon. I guess she did conform well.

celsiana

I remember back in the 80s,a driver killed his girlfreind.While he was out on bail awaiting the trial,he was driving.He worked until his trial and he went to prison for life.I was told that until he was found guilty,they had to let him work.The drivers that felt uncomfortable working around him,were told treat him as inocent until proven guilty. Around the same time,we had a hub sup shoot a guy in a bar fight.He also worked until he was found guilty,then terminated.

In our hub a driver was accused of raping two workers(clerks). UPS would not do a thing about it although charges were pending but because it was alleged. Also because it happened off of UPS property. The two women quit but he is still driving. I would be a little worried what if he raped someone he delivered to. Although I do understand you are innocent until proven guilty. I knew one of the ladies and I believe her. I give the man plenty of space.

Daddyofb5

i have no idea at all what is the big deal with felons everyone kinda makes it seem as if felons are from outer space or something we are all human and humans make mistakes just like everyone and everything else in the world LET IT GO