I have a Felon for a boss

"Larceny, hot checks, shoplifting," all lend themselves to a pattern of dishonesty, couple that with falsification of the employment app and you have a management person with real integrity issues. hmmmm Come to think of it, she may be on the fast track to division mag.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trplnkl, how would you feel if they obtained your SSN and ran a background check on you w/o your knowledge or, more importantly, your permission? What is to stop them from going further, possibly attempting to apply for credit in your name?

Trplnkl, how would you feel if they obtained your SSN and ran a background check on you w/o your knowledge or, more importantly, your permission? What is to stop them from going further, possibly attempting to apply for credit in your name?
It's a little thing called Security alert, I will be notified if anyone tries to open an account in my name. Plus, I would stick my finger in their eye, bend it and pull real hard.
Seriously. I'm not sure that all of those background check programs require a SS#, there are other ways of confirming if you are looking at the same person. So it is on assumption that Celsiana even has the sups ss.

Channahon

A date of birth is usually sufficient to run a background check, however, if more than one person has the same name and date of birth, then a social security number is requested. At least with law enforcement it works this way.

Before a person goes into full time management, another back ground check is done with the person's permission. You see a lot of things can happen from the time someone is hired, until they seek a full time management position at UPS.

I just wondering why the original poster hasn't provided any more insight on how the information was obtained to run a background check. Integrity issues perhaps???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

TSG, it is not her credit that I was talking about, although your assumption that a convicted felon cannot have a good credit history is not necessarily accurate. Just because she passes hot checks doesn't mean she doesn't pay her bills on time.

The one recurring theme that I get from some of the posts that I find alarming is the lack of respect that some of you have for the personal and private information of your fellow employees or management personnel. Even more troubling to me is the way that you try to rationalize it by saying that she has a "rap sheet" and therefore it is OK to do a background check of your own. Quite frankly, her criminal record is none of your business and the decision to hire her is also none of your business. She is a supervisor and should therefore be accorded the respect the position deserves.

BTW, you can save your $20 on me. I have had 3 speeding tickets (Mass. State Troopers hide very well, especially on the Mass Pike), one accident (not my fault), and a credit score in the mid 700s.

FromBluetoBrown

BTW, you can save your $20 on me. I have had 3 speeding tickets (Mass. State Troopers hide very well, especially on the Mass Pike), one accident (not my fault), and a credit score in the mid 700s.

Virginia's state troopers are very stealthy as well. You wouldnt even know that that Dodge Charger you passed doing 70 was a state trooper until the lights come on.

AlaskaMike

TSG, it is not her credit that I was talking about, although your assumption that a convicted felon cannot have a good credit history is not necessarily accurate. Just because she passes hot checks doesn't mean she doesn't pay her bills on time.

The one recurring theme that I get from some of the posts that I find alarming is the lack of respect that some of you have for the personal and private information of your fellow employees or management personnel. Even more troubling to me is the way that you try to rationalize it by saying that she has a "rap sheet" and therefore it is OK to do a background check of your own. Quite frankly, her criminal record is none of your business and the decision to hire her is also none of your business. She is a supervisor and should therefore be accorded the respect the position deserves.

I can't agree with you on this. A criminal record is public information. It's not like anybody was spying on this woman or violating her privacy in any way. Whether it's your business or not, it's public information. And I'd want to know if some one in authority over me was a convicted felon.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
My ex-wife worked as a secretary at the State Parole Office. UPS had haired a parolee as a reloader the previous week. When the parole officer called the center to confirm the hiring and check up on the parolee he was fired. It seems he didn't list being a felon on his application. Not saying it is right or wrong.......... just stating the facts.

browniehound

I agree with UPstate here. HR has strict guidlines on hiring people. Apparently this woman fell within the guidelines.

It appears she stole because she had a heroin problem. Drugs will make people do things sober people wouldn't think of.

It also appears that she is clean now.

If I was doing the hire, I would go with her as long as I had documentation that she went through a rehab facility for at least 60 days and was seeing a therapist. I would also want documentation from this therapist that the employee is clean and making progress in dealing with her addiction.

Public safety is not an issue here. We are not talking about a child molester, so I think her past should not be anybody else's business

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I have a question related to this issue. My helper during peak, an older man at 46 agreed to work on the preload (which goes in on Monday, when we also begin on PAS) He has been training to put on the PAL labels. Anyway about 2 weeks ago I saw in the paper that he had been arrested on a Wed, he was back to work early Thur. His charges were for forgery, theft, and possessing a forgery device. His bail was over 61,000 I'm not sure how he raised the bail which would have been over 6,000. I looked up his booking on the sheriff's website, it was definately him, it shows a photo. The charges are all felonies one 2nd dgree and 7 or 8 3rd degree. If he is convicted and avoids prison do you think UPS will keep him? Do you think there is any way they will know? Should I say anything?

tieguy

Banned
not sure we can do anything while he is defending himself against these charges. He should have the right to defend himself and keep his job.

HazMatMan

Going back to the original post, wouldn't UPS have a problem "trusting" a person like this?? If this person put all those convictions on her application and UPS still hired her then I would say we are in big trouble. I also don't understand how some people can say well at least she didn't kill anybody, or is a child molester, but I don't see how the type of felony matters.. Just my opinion...

HazMatMan

A date of birth is usually sufficient to run a background check, however, if more than one person has the same name and date of birth, then a social security number is requested. At least with law enforcement it works this way.

Before a person goes into full time management, another back ground check is done with the person's permission. You see a lot of things can happen from the time someone is hired, until they seek a full time management position at UPS.

I just wondering why the original poster hasn't provided any more insight on how the information was obtained to run a background check. Integrity issues perhaps???

You seem to be worried more about how this person was able to do a background check than as to why UPS would hire such a person with a criminal record. OR, if this person accumulated this record after getting the job, my question would be how could UPS retain her as an employee???

kenco80233

I remember back in the 80s,a driver killed his girlfreind.While he was out on bail awaiting the trial,he was driving.He worked until his trial and he went to prison for life.I was told that until he was found guilty,they had to let him work.The drivers that felt uncomfortable working around him,were told treat him as inocent until proven guilty. Around the same time,we had a hub sup shoot a guy in a bar fight.He also worked until he was found guilty,then terminated.