I have finally left UPS.

Penguin

I wish you had hung around and challenged that point. Best of luck in the future.

I stood up for myself against two FT managers, that are around 20 years older then me, and my PT sup... They ALL backed off and ran away when I said firmly and respectfully "that management stole my vacation from me." It didn't give then any leeway or slack. They couldn't dance around it or twist it against me. They knew full well that one of their PT sups wrongly listed me in the employee records as having taken a vacation early in.. I think Feb that I didn't take or know about.:biting:

It's interesting, moments before this incident happened. I was thinking about putting in my two week notice, but I decided to stay at UPS for a little while longer and just remind my PT sup about my vacation because I was going on one. Thats when the two FT managers ran up to me and started yelling about how it's "impossible" for me to have a vacation. o_O... I put in my two week notice the following Tuesday. :peaceful:

Penguin

Congratulations to you and best of luck! UPS is like quicksand, isn't it? We're drawn to it and once in, difficult to get out of our blood. Take that great ambition of yours and try something new. Enjoy every minute!

I've been going to college PT, but now I'm going to be able to go FT and be able to sleep at night. :peaceful: In the fall I'm going to be able to start tackling the needed 62 credit hours working in a hospital to finish my A.S. radiology degree. After I get that I can start working on my Masters of Science. :smart:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I stood up for myself against two FT managers, that are around 20 years older then me, and my PT sup... They ALL backed off and ran away when I said firmly and respectfully "that management stole my vacation from me."

Good for you! Its always nice to see management scatter. I haven't done it in a long time but the last time I did, nobody rattled me for months. Worth it considering how often somebody would (figuratively) jam the jewels!

I've been going to college PT, but now I'm going to be able to go FT and be able to sleep at night. :peaceful: In the fall I'm going to be able to start tackling the needed 62 credit hours working in a hospital to finish my A.S. radiology degree. After I get that I can start working on my Masters of Science. :smart:

Excellent! Being able to sleep at night is a very valid reason to leave UPS. What a difference a good night's sleep will do for your outlook! Tackle that school, man. Its the bridge to a better life. -Rocky

HazMatMan

I do, too, Tie. I actually had a UPS supe tell me I couldn't take my vacation PERIOD, no matter when I had it scheduled. He backed down seconds later when I reminded him I hadn't been late in 9 months, hadn't asked for days off in 6 months, worked an unholy number of hours per week in the summer heat AND gone to school full-time. When he approved it, he said, "Hey, you do a great job for me. Thanks," and shook my hand.

Rock, this bothers me because why would it matter how many days you worked without being late, or how long it was that you asked for a day off, or how many hours you worked in the heat, or if you go to school full-time or not?? If I am scheduled to go on vacation a certain week and had 30 days out with 50 latenesses and the sup said I couldn't take it I would still laugh in his face. (numbers are exaggerated)

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rock, this bothers me because why would it matter how many days you worked without being late, or how long it was that you asked for a day off, or how many hours you worked in the heat, or if you go to school full-time or not?? If I am scheduled to go on vacation a certain week and had 30 days out with 50 latenesses and the sup said I couldn't take it I would still laugh in his face. (numbers are exaggerated)

Good point, Haz. In my case, it mattered for two reasons. The first was that my vacation wasn't scheduled til the middle of September. I knew I was gambling with asking to change it but figured....what the hey? All he could do was adamantly refuse. The second reason was that we had a serious attendance issue. On the hottest days, we had guys calling in 'sick' left and right. At the time I asked to change my vacation, I was burned out, stressed out and strung out from a brutal summer. And I have the kind of face that be read like the cover on a book and he could see that I was a mess. Also, my mother had 'suggested' I change my vacation. Those that have lived in Mom's basement know that such 'suggestions' are rarely suggestions. I skipped town to visit some family here in Colorado. I spent two nights in a mountain town and told my uncle the day I came back down, "Ya know....when I arrived, I wanted SCREAM. I feel almost human again." -Rocky

Penguin

I just got something in the mail today about my Cobra benefits... It seems UPS says they terminated me on April 4th even though my last day was on 28th of March. :surprised:

I get the impression my supervisor didn't do anything to log or notify anybody within the company that I put in my two week notice. I'm quite offended that this was probably done just to make me look bad. Hopefully, it won't result in any bad references whenever I apply to a job in the future.:angry:

I just got something in the mail today about my Cobra benefits... It seems UPS says they terminated me on April 4th even though my last day was on 28th of March. :surprised:

I get the impression my supervisor didn't do anything to log or notify anybody within the company that I put in my two week notice. I'm quite offended that this was probably done just to make me look bad. Hopefully, it won't result in any bad references whenever I apply to a job in the future.:angry:
Check out the HEPA laws, you don't have to worry about a bad reference.

LKLND3380

:peaceful:
As of last Saturday, I am no longer an employee of UPS. That was the end of my two week notice.... I'm not sure if I'm happy about it even though I grew to completely hate my job... I've been feeling all weird and antsy because normally, I'd have gone to work on Tuesday morning and be sleeping and preparing to leave for work later this morning. I only missed 6 days of work in over two and a half years and I'm not used to not going in to work. :surprised: I'm assuming it's going to take me awhile to get used to not being under lots of stress to perform and produce. I know I'm a type A personality, but I didn't think I'd get soooo bored and want to go back to the work I hate so quickly. :funny:

-Penguin

BTW.... I don't trust the management to have properly notified each other that I put in my two week notice... too much screwiness within the employee records and all that jazz. I keep expecting to get a phone call in the middle of the night asking why I'm not at work. o_O

You escaped... Don't worry about the phone call, a supe will be knocking on your door... What United Prison Systems did you escape from...

Penguin

You escaped... Don't worry about the phone call, a supe will be knocking on your door... What United Prison Systems did you escape from...

The Jacksonville Hub... :peaceful:

It's been weeks since I quit and I'm really happy I left. I don't have a sense of total hopelessness everyday.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It's been weeks since I quit and I'm really happy I left. I don't have a sense of total hopelessness everyday.

That's the first sign you're returning to being human. Give it a couple weeks and you'll be looking back at yourself, thinking, "Man....was I really like that??"

And don't worry about a bad reference. UPS gives nothing but confirmation of employment dates. -Rocky

Penguin

That's the first sign you're returning to being human. Give it a couple weeks and you'll be looking back at yourself, thinking, "Man....was I really like that??"

I've started to get much calmer and people have noticed that about me. My grades in college have been improving now that I sleep more. I feel soooo much healthier because I'm not sick all the time. I've been losing a bunch of weight and my workouts are much more productive... Speaking of workouts and weight loss. Since I no longer have to save my energy and endurance for UPS. I've had the energy to greatly expand my workouts to lose more weight and get stronger. I'm now able to easily do 220 pushups, 100 sit ups, 100 bicep curls with 80lbs weights and do large sets of other exercises. I feel freaking amazing now that I have the energy to do these exercises. I'm gonna be incredibly buff by the end of this year. :peaceful:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I've started to get much calmer and people have noticed that about me. My grades in college have been improving now that I sleep more.

My 18 year old brother was living with me at the time I left UPS. A week later, we were talking and he said, "You look great. I don't think I've ever seen you so....at peace." When I left UPS in October, I was a full-time grad student. My grades were being taking a beating. I had a paper due the following Monday. By Sunday night, the paper was done and my professor sent me an e-mail saying, "I was starting to wonder about you. Before this, your writing was horrible. Now, I almost want to keep this paper for future students!"

You'll be fine, Penguin. Keep working out and you won't gain an ounce from the day you left UPS. I haven't kept myself in shape. With the warmer weather and a nice MP3 player, that's gonna change. -Rocky

Penguin

I know this is an old thread, but I want to revisit it because I've been gone a year. It's AMAZING how much healthier and happier I am now that I've left. I relearned how to sleep more than 3-4 hours a day. I'm no longer sick all the time. I've really been applying myself in college and am doing fantastic. Life couldn't be better and it's all thanks to leaving UPS and realizing it harmed me more than helped me in life. My time at UPS proved to be nothing more than a dead end. There was no future or hope for a better life at UPS. It's nice to have that out of my life.