I have finally left UPS.

Penguin

Good stuff.......I've got about 4-5 weeks left and I'm out. I will not work another summer at UPS.

You're going to be SOOOOOO much happier when all is said and done my friend. It might take months to really learn how to relax again, but it'll happen. You'll end up feeling like an entirely different person! :happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know this is an old thread, but I want to revisit it because I've been gone a year. It's AMAZING how much healthier and happier I am now that I've left. I relearned how to sleep more than 3-4 hours a day. I'm no longer sick all the time. I've really been applying myself in college and am doing fantastic. Life couldn't be better and it's all thanks to leaving UPS and realizing it harmed me more than helped me in life. My time at UPS proved to be nothing more than a dead end. There was no future or hope for a better life at UPS. It's nice to have that out of my life.

Not everyone is cut out for UPS ... I know I've told that to a few hundred people over the years.
This just goes to show it's true and that there is life after UPS.
Good luck.

sealbasher

Penguin:
I left UPS two months ago. Trust me: you made the right move! I was a supervisor, and had been with brown for almost seven years. I never took a sick day, always worked hard, treated my union people fairly....never even got a single "thank you." Last year, I started looking for a new job after our manager started to slowly put the screws to us. He wouldn't let us take our discretionary days, and kept moving our vacations, and when we complained to HR, he said we needed to plan "around peak and planning periods" (which, ironically, is ALL THE TIME), and HR agreed with him. He wouldn't let me leave "early" after an eleven-hour day to go to my sister's confirmation. He let two of our admin positions go through attrition but guess what: their work never went away.

So I got a new job with a new Fortune 500 company. Sure, it's a little less money salary-wise, but on an hourly scale, I'm making more here. The new company has an incentive program like the MIP, but instead of working to meet "fuzzy" corporate goals, half of my incentive is based SOLELY ON MY OWN PERFORMANCE. I also negotiated for my vacation time, plus I get sick and personal days that I can bank for the rest of my career. Mostly though, the new job has much less stress, and I have yet to be screamed at for a mistake.

You made the right choice. Don't even look back.

UPS belives there is no point in thanking someone for doing what were paid to do.Thats why i do nothing extra.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
too bad you cant handle work,, theres alot like you out there so dont feel alone,,, every person ive known to leave UPS as a driver regretted it,, guess wallmart allways needs people,, or welfare..many options

ih8tbrn

Banned
I'm thinking fast food or something in the service industry.

Maybe you should focus your attention on getting me my packages on time boy. I'll be thinking about you while I'm spending time with my family and you're wondering where yours is. Actually I won't, in fact, responding to your posts isn't even worth my time. Good luck to you *.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you should focus your attention on getting me my packages on time boy. I'll be thinking about you while I'm spending time with my family and you're wondering where yours is. Actually I won't, in fact, responding to your posts isn't even worth my time. Good luck to you.

Please make sure to put enough napkins and extra ketchup in the bag and try your best to keep the fries upright when you hand me my order at the Mickey D's drive-thru.

Last edited by a moderator:

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
... Tackle that school, man. Its the bridge to a better life. -Rocky

THIS IS A PERSONAL OPINION ONLY - AS SUCH, NO FIGHT TO THE DEATH FLAME WAR IS REQUIRED;

The only people who believe that statement are those in school, contemplating school, or just graduating from school. With the exceptions of where a college degree is required (Doctor, Lawyer, etc.) a college degree is nothing more than a piece of paper proving you survived living on your own for 4 years. In the real world, a degree makes little to no difference IN THE REAL WORLD 10 years after graduation.

UPS Lifer

THIS IS A PERSONAL OPINION ONLY - AS SUCH, NO FIGHT TO THE DEATH FLAME WAR IS REQUIRED;

The only people who believe that statement are those in school, contemplating school, or just graduating from school. With the exceptions of where a college degree is required (Doctor, Lawyer, etc.) a college degree is nothing more than a piece of paper proving you survived living on your own for 4 years. In the real world, a degree makes little to no difference IN THE REAL WORLD 10 years after graduation.

I understand where you are coming from but a degree can open the door and with everything being equal, the one with a degree has the edge. A degree also shows that you had the discipline to perform the requirements of the particular area or field of study. It is a great foundation for your future.

Education is an ongoing process and does not stop once you leave school or get a degree. In the "Real World" one should continue to soak up knowledge in all areas to better oneself and the community they live in.

pretzel_man

Surveys show different information than what you assert.

Here is average salary by education level:

Professional Degree $109,600
Doctoral Degree $89,400
Master's Degree $62,300
Bachelor's Degree $52,200
Associate's Degree $38,200
Some College $36,800
High School Graduate $30,400
Some High School $23,400

Of course, the amount of salary depends on the degree chosen.

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I understand where you are coming from but a degree can open the door and with everything being equal, the one with a degree has the edge. A degree also shows that you had the discipline to perform the requirements of the particular area or field of study. It is a great foundation for your future.

Education is an ongoing process and does not stop once you leave school or get a degree. In the "Real World" one should continue to soak up knowledge in all areas to better oneself and the community they live in.

Surveys show different information than what you assert.

Here is average salary by education level:

Professional Degree $109,600
Doctoral Degree $89,400
Master's Degree $62,300
Bachelor's Degree $52,200
Associate's Degree $38,200
Some College $36,800
High School Graduate $30,400
Some High School $23,400

Of course, the amount of salary depends on the degree chosen.

P-Man

Good points UPS Lifer & P-Man if you are going to work within a system (Corporations, Colleges/Schools, etc).
It is of interesting note that sucessful small business owners make more than any of the categories listed here.

I have always had a great deal of respect for small business owners. Over half the families in my subdivision are in this category and many of them only have a high school degree or "some college". None of the others have anything more than a college degree.

Last edited:

Braveheart

Penguin:
I left UPS two months ago. Trust me: you made the right move! I was a supervisor, and had been with brown for almost seven years. I never took a sick day, always worked hard, treated my union people fairly....never even got a single "thank you." Last year, I started looking for a new job after our manager started to slowly put the screws to us. He wouldn't let us take our discretionary days, and kept moving our vacations, and when we complained to HR, he said we needed to plan "around peak and planning periods" (which, ironically, is ALL THE TIME), and HR agreed with him. He wouldn't let me leave "early" after an eleven-hour day to go to my sister's confirmation. He let two of our admin positions go through attrition but guess what: their work never went away.

So I got a new job with a new Fortune 500 company. Sure, it's a little less money salary-wise, but on an hourly scale, I'm making more here. The new company has an incentive program like the MIP, but instead of working to meet "fuzzy" corporate goals, half of my incentive is based SOLELY ON MY OWN PERFORMANCE. I also negotiated for my vacation time, plus I get sick and personal days that I can bank for the rest of my career. Mostly though, the new job has much less stress, and I have yet to be screamed at for a mistake.

You made the right choice. Don't even look back.
Thanks for that post. I have talked to at least 7 or 8 former full time managers and every single one said they were happier. They all said they hated what upper management made them do to the employees.

More than one said that there was zero integrity in upper management.

One even called it inhumane.

Braveheart

good. i did the same and i have not looked back since. i gave them 2 hours notice. i asked for a reference letter stating nothing more than my date of hire, my date of resignation, that i had no discipline on my file, and that i am welcome to re-apply for a position, and they wouldn't do that "because it's against policy."

i'm glad i left, and for not giving me a reference letter, i'll be sure to pass on all future business to fedex.

a true employer that wants you will foster your type a style to get results. it has for me. this company is run too much like a warehouse and not like a transportation company. it works for their bottom line it seems, but definitely not for their HR.
They forget every "former" employee can refer business to us or away depending on how they were treated.