I have finally left UPS.

Braveheart

I too, congratulate you. I think the fact that so many who leave, feel it necessary to come back and "toot their own horn", is interesting. I also think it is to the companies advantage that unhappy people do leave. They usually are not pulling their weight, so it falls on someone else to carry them. UPS is not for everybody. The quicker you figure that out, and move on, the better it is for everyone. So again, congrats on finding your niche.
WOW
All of those unhappy people you speak of as not pulling their wait is a huge leap on your part.

I know 7 or 8 managers who left and all are succesful at their new companies!!
All are moving up.

I know multiple drivers and even a few part timers who have started their own companies and are kicking ass.

In fact I know of very few who were slackers.

In fact I know a few drivers who left that are now in management at other companies and thriving.

Just because one is sick of being treated like dirt, complains and leaves, does not mean they are slackers. They usually are sick of working for either jerks or just plain idiots.

drewed

Shankman
Yet somehow we will manage to survive without you. Buh-bye.

good. i did the same and i have not looked back since. i gave them 2 hours notice. i asked for a reference letter stating nothing more than my date of hire, my date of resignation, that i had no discipline on my file, and that i am welcome to re-apply for a position, and they wouldn't do that "because it's against policy."
why would you dictate what a letter of ref said? plus, you wouldnt be put on rehire notice so you wouldnt really be welcomed to apply again
i'm glad i left, and for not giving me a reference letter, i'll be sure to pass on all future business to fedex.

a true employer that wants you will foster your type a style to get results. it has for me. this company is run too much like a warehouse and not like a transportation company. it works for their bottom line it seems, but definitely not for their HR.

UPS Lifer

Good points UPS Lifer & P-Man if you are going to work within a system (Corporations, Colleges/Schools, etc).
It is of interesting note that sucessful small business owners make more than any of the categories listed here.

I have always had a great deal of respect for small business owners. Over half the families in my subdivision are in this category and many of them only have a high school degree or "some college". None of the others have anything more than a college degree.

My dad had to go to night school to get his high school diploma. He lied and said he had a college education to get a technical job as a test engineer. He was the one who formulated the light-weight roof tile back in the 70's. He learned his craft on the job.

He started a fleet cleaning business, cleaning Bell Telephone company trucks back in the late 50's. He put me to work at 11 years old washing trucks in the evening and on the weekend. He worked 7 days a week! My mom did the books, hired the employees and dispatched the work .... all while taking care of me and my brother from home!

I too have a lot of respect for small business owners. They help grease the wheels of American Industry. Without them - we all suffer.

There are a lot more ingredients to intelligence then schooling!! Don't be fooled though. These small business owners are constantly learning about their craft and gathering information to make their businesses more successful. They are self-educated and probably have a greater sense of what education really is!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Surveys show different information than what you assert.

Here is average salary by education level:

Professional Degree $109,600
Doctoral Degree $89,400
Master's Degree $62,300
Bachelor's Degree $52,200
Associate's Degree $38,200
Some College $36,800
High School Graduate $30,400
Some High School $23,400

Of course, the amount of salary depends on the degree chosen.

P-Man

Henceforth I will be refered to as Dr. Brownmonster