I have received a ban threat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reydluap

Livin...., No need to explain yourself or your feelings to me. I just used your post as an example as how BC has evolved over the years. I just don't understand why those type of post need to be made. I whole heartily stand behind you concerning the personal attacks. I just feel like we are all adults here, act like it!

All of us can have discussions and disagreements and still share our opinions by not hitting below the belt. This is not a childs website, but I'd like to think we can show a little class.

Paul

Re: I have received a band threat! Triple threat, even.

That's only 2 of the members. You're letting 2 out of hundreds, sway you? I say you need a thicker skin, or a monitor that translates what is being posted.:wink2:

From what you say, it sounds as though 705 commented about upstates predicament with his son. If that is the case, I can only speak for myself, in that I have no comment, because upstate did not solicit input. He just stated that personal tidbit, so that we would have a clue, in another thread. Whatever the case, LTD, upstate is a big boy and can fend for himself, and usually does quite well.

If modstaration is in order, let them modstarate. JMHO, as always, and this opinion comes from not having a clue as to what was posted.

I think this is the post you are missing. Directed at upstate

Originally Posted by 705red
While your laughing at me just remember that my wife and kids are still with me. I also can walk in to work every day knowing that my rights will not be walked all over.

Can you say the same? I don't think so! So who's really laughing right now?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
IHere is my question : Why is this efforted to become a "family orientated site" here in UPS discussions?

Is UPS, in your truest and most honest opinion, a family-orientated place of employment? It is a cut-through, hammering beast that eats up people like blood raw meat in the lions den.

Should there be a "family orientated" section of BrownCafe? So people can discuss Care Bears, Rainbows, chocolate chip muffins, saving the environment and other fluffy issues? I do think so, and there probably is.

But please, don't take the bite away from BC by over-moderating. UPS is not an attractive place, never has been and never will be, and BC should reflect this.

JUST IMO

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not taking sides at all, but I see nothing strange about taking a kid to a part of life his mother/father engages in. No different than taking him/her to a shoot, or a country club, or the local bar to learn to shoot a game of pool.

Here, our union meetings are at 10am on Sunday. Forget church this Sunday - Honey, get the kids, we're going to the union meeting!

rod

Retired 22 years
IHere is my question : Why is this efforted to become a "family orientated site" here in UPS discussions?

Is UPS, in your truest and most honest opinion, a family-orientated place of employment? It is a cut-through, hammering beast that eats up people like blood raw meat in the lions den.

Should there be a "family orientated" section of BrownCafe? So people can discuss Care Bears, Rainbows, chocolate chip muffins, saving the environment and other fluffy issues? I do think so, and there probably is.

But please, don't take the bite away from BC by over-moderating. UPS is not an attractive place, never has been and never will be, and BC should reflect this.

JUST IMO

I'll second that.

JUST IMO
Here is your answer. Because the people that OWN this forum ( Cheryl and Tony)wants it that way.

When we all became members of this forum we agreed to a set of rules, it's called the Terms of Service. Cheryl appointed Mods to help her police this forum for violations of the TOS and gave them the authority to edit or delete posts, lock down threads, and if needed ban members to keep it under her guidelines.
Personal attacks are part of the rules that are not supposed to take place, but then the definition of a personal attack could well be up to debate as well. The Mods have to decide what is acceptable and what is not, if there is a stalemate on that Cheryl is the final judge and jury.
The insulting of one's family, IMO, is not up for debate. I've seen plenty of insults hurled from various posters to others and it's a blow below the belt. Comments like that, if said in person, could well become a very serious situation. Retaliation is common place on forums and I can understand why. If someone insults me or my family or someone I think of as a friend I will counter-attack. However that doesn't make it right for me to do so. Ever hear of that old saying. " Two wrongs don't make a right."?
I am aware that as I point my finger here, I am also pointing three others at myself.

Lastly, there is a big difference between a "bite" and the gnashing of teeth and just because we my work in a sewer doesn't me we can crap on the floor at home.

rant off.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well said Trp. :thumbup:

If some of you want the trash talk then you should click on Johney's link. Go away and leave us in peace. Personally, I prefer BC and have never even been in pkgsmashrs.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Here is your answer. Because the people that OWN this forum ( Cheryl and Tony)wants it that way.

When we all became members of this forum we agreed to a set of rules, it's called the Terms of Service. Cheryl appointed Mods to help her police this forum for violations of the TOS and gave them the authority to edit or delete posts, lock down threads, and if needed ban members to keep it under her guidelines.
Personal attacks are part of the rules that are not supposed to take place, but then the definition of a personal attack could well be up to debate as well. The Mods have to decide what is acceptable and what is not, if there is a stalemate on that Cheryl is the final judge and jury.
The insulting of one's family, IMO, is not up for debate. I've seen plenty of insults hurled from various posters to others and it's a blow below the belt. Comments like that, if said in person, could well become a very serious situation. Retaliation is common place on forums and I can understand why. If someone insults me or my family or someone I think of as a friend I will counter-attack. However that doesn't make it right for me to do so. Ever hear of that old saying. " Two wrongs don't make a right."?
I am aware that as I point my finger here, I am also pointing three others at myself.

Lastly, there is a big difference between a "bite" and the gnashing of teeth and just because we my work in a sewer doesn't me we can crap on the floor at home.

rant off.

This post was unnecessary, not to minimize what you are saying. Obviously I and most if not all of us understand this. The point I am making is, you put 200 people that "mostly" get beat to death by a company every day and in every way, suffocated and spit out, and then come here to discuss the same company anomymously, you are not going to get peaches and cream.

NOW I do understand that personal attacks are not allowed, BUT THIS SEEMS SUBJECTIVE GIVEN THE PERSON POSTING IT AND THE BOUNDRIES CROSSED (or not). I have seen personal attacks completely ignored by certain posters, that were pretty rough, while others that were mild in comparison immediately moderated. This is almost the same circus that we deal with daily at UPS, actually - management ( or in this case moderators) favorites given the right of way, or the blind eye.

I still do not see how we can expect peaches and cream here when the same company we are discussing (and the issues we face daily) craps on people left and right and generally violates ITS OWN TOS (ntnl contract, labor laws, osha ) etc. And again, that is not to say I don't understand all of what you wrote and the TOS.

It just doesn't make any sense in my eyes, other than to pull the wool over peoples eyes that surf the web and come here to read about UPS.

This post was unnecessary, not to minimize what you are saying. Obviously I and most if not all of us understand this. The point I am making is, you put 200 people that "mostly" get beat to death by a company every day and in every way, suffocated and spit out, and then come here to discuss the same company anomymously, you are not going to get peaches and cream.

Sorry, I didn't realize your question was rhetorical. Even though I figured you knew the TOS for this site you still asked the question.

NOW I do understand that personal attacks are not allowed, BUT THIS SEEMS SUBJECTIVE GIVEN THE PERSON POSTING IT AND THE BOUNDRIES CROSSED (or not). I have seen personal attacks completely ignored by certain posters, that were pretty rough, while others that were mild in comparison immediately moderated. This is almost the same circus that we deal with daily at UPS, actually - management ( or in this case moderators) favorites given the right of way, or the blind eye.
The only reason I can think of to answer this situation is that more than likely the comparatively mild comments that are moderated were done so because someone PMed a Mod in complaint. I'm not a mod on here, but I have read where more than one mod has said they wouldn't moderate a post until some one complained. Of course I figure they will do it without a complaint if it is really bad.

I still do not see how we can expect peaches and cream here when the same company we are discussing (and the issues we face daily) craps on people left and right and generally violates ITS OWN TOS (ntnl contract, labor laws, osha ) etc

I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't give anyone an excuse to run a muck and post things that are out of line with out some type of moderation. I promise you, you don't get any more frustrated with UPS than me or the majority of the posters here. To me the bottom lime on Moderation is if there were no restrictions this place would not be any better than the worst trash board on the internet. Don't get me wrong, I'm no posting Angel, I have my times too and except to be called down by a Mod if need be.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I still do not see how we can expect peaches and cream here when the same company we are discussing (and the issues we face daily) craps on people left and right and generally violates ITS OWN TOS (ntnl contract, labor laws, osha ) etc. And again, that is not to say I don't understand all of what you wrote and the TOS.

It just doesn't make any sense in my eyes, other than to pull the wool over peoples eyes that surf the web and come here to read about UPS.

Sleeve, Trp said what he said because of your post. You questioned why a family friendly site. He gave you an honest answer. It may have been literal but it was still an honest one. Maybe you were speaking figuratively.

Now I have a question for you. Why do you come to BC? Is it to (your words) pull the wool over peoples eyes? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

He comes here to have an honest and truthful interaction with other like minded UPSers, but is unable to do that because of the obviously biased moderation.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
He comes here to have an honest and truthful interaction with other like minded UPSers, but is unable to do that because of the obviously biased moderation.
That is a fair assumption. But since the answer did not come from Sleeve, that is all it is, an assumption.

Personally, I can have honest and truthful interaction with other like minded UPSers without regard to the moderators. Most like minded UPSers do not need to slam and slur others.

If there are issues with the moderating on this site, then maybe that should be addressed with the moderator and/or Cheryl. I have had issues with the moderating, I have addressed those issues, they have been taken care of. I move on. If another issue were to come up, that issue would be addressed as well. And I would move on.

I call BS on that. There are way more posts on this board that have never been moderated than have been.
Bottom line, If you can't have any honest and truthful conversations without having to be moderated, maybe you need professional help.
I've had posts edited by Mods and have received "friendly reminders" on the TOS. I never felt it was biased.

over9five

Staff member
Moderation

1. I disagree that we moderate unevenly. For one thing, we have eight moderators from differing segments of the company - Managers, drivers, retirees, etc. You just can't say all eight of us are going to take one side on any issue.

2. For a second thing, did you ever think that the things we moderate immediately have been complained about?? I've said it before, I'll say it now: We need your help. If something offends you, use the "report post" icon. The people who complain about uneven moderating have usually never helped us by using this feature.
Eight Mods may seem like a lot, but I'm sure you all know how many posts we get a day here. I don't think any of us reads them all, I sure don't. But between us, we probably read most. We're on different times of the day too, so something that doesn't get moderated immediately probably didn't get read immediately.

3. Volunteer Moderators are Members, just like anyone else. We are allowed to participate in threads, we can take sides on issues, we can get into it. And guess what? There's a "report post" icon on our posts too.

4. You don't want to go all official? All our names are at the bottom of the forums page. PM one of us if you have an issue, no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.