i hit the air-driver jackpot... i think....

chopstic

Every Saturday I drive an air-shuttle thats about a 9-hour shift, no stops or deliveries, i just drive 4 hours to meet another driver, swap trucks with him and then drive back.

well we just had a major snow storm so i was chained up for most of my drive. I was on the road for 13 hours and spent another hour unloading the truck. the great part is while i was unloading it I found a GROUND package that somehow got mis-sorted onto my truck. I photocopied the shipping label and turned it in with my timecard.

So do I get top-scale driver pay for my shift since I'm an air driver transporting a ground package? I have recieved the top-pay a few times for delivering ground packages, but am unsure if the rule applies to shuttle work. If so... will they be paying me overtime on top of the 28.50 an hour (which is 42.75) since I'm over eight hours. I'm excited to see how this one turns out on my paycheck.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Every Saturday I drive an air-shuttle thats about a 9-hour shift, no stops or deliveries, i just drive 4 hours to meet another driver, swap trucks with him and then drive back.

well we just had a major snow storm so i was chained up for most of my drive. I was on the road for 13 hours and spent another hour unloading the truck. the great part is while i was unloading it I found a GROUND package that somehow got mis-sorted onto my truck. I photocopied the shipping label and turned it in with my timecard.

So do I get top-scale driver pay for my shift since I'm an air driver transporting a ground package? I have recieved the top-pay a few times for delivering ground packages, but am unsure if the rule applies to shuttle work. If so... will they be paying me overtime on top of the 28.50 an hour (which is 42.75) since I'm over eight hours. I'm excited to see how this one turns out on my paycheck.

I think you would have had to have delivered that ground for it to count. Sorry!:surprised:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I wouldn't count on it.

BUT

Just touching a ground package would bump you to FT driver pay, but there may be some credence to the fact that you would have had to deliver the package, not just shuttle it. Something to talk to your steward with at the earliest time.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Doesn't matter Steve. Not here. You carry ground for any reasson you get paid top driver pay. BTDT

And stay on top of it. They will avoid paying for it if at all possible.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Our air drivers are not allowed to touch ground for any reason. Even if the UPS store is busting out at the seams and there was only an air driver available. The ground would sit until hell freezes over before they would let an air driver pick it up.

chopstic

I'm trying to find the contract language online... I can find the NMA, but can't seem to locate the western area agreement, or the riders. Anyone know where to find these online?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
To the left side of this screen under NMA.

Teamster news UPS NMA 02-08, UPS NMA 08-13

If you are in Western region you will get paid.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Doesn't matter Steve. Not here. You carry ground for any reason you get paid top driver pay. BTDT

And stay on top of it. They will avoid paying for it if at all possible.

I have a feeling it is true.
Its just the point of an accidental package in a "shuttle", not even delivering, that makes me feel it won't hold up.
Plus, the fact the air driver should have just brought the package back and said it wasn't suppose to be on the truck. Any management person would have told the air driver to bring the misload back instead of paying the bonus. I'm sure it has happened before, hopefully there are members who have had this done who can elaborate on pay.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have a feeling it is true.
Its just the point of an accidental package in a "shuttle", not even delivering, that makes me feel it won't hold up.
Plus, the fact the air driver should have just brought the package back and said it wasn't suppose to be on the truck. Any management person would have told the air driver to bring the misload back instead of paying the bonus. I'm sure it has happened before, hopefully there are members who have had this done who can elaborate on pay.
Heff, he will have to push the issue to get it, but it can happen. Caveat: I don't know for sure if that language has changed with the new contract. When I did air I would end up with ground at the air P/U. This happened more at the airport in Phx than anywhere else. I always got paid.

If the language is unclear------------file on it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Heff, he will have to push the issue to get it, but it can happen. Caveat: I don't know for sure if that language has changed with the new contract. When I did air I would end up with ground at the air P/U. This happened more at the airport in Phx than anywhere else. I always got paid.

If the language is unclear------------file on it.

But wouldn't you be told not to touch it.

I mean that if a sup. gives you the package to deliver than your rate goes up. But if a package is lying there in your car, shouldn't you just leave it and bring it back and show the error.

Trust me, I agree you should be paid more if you are told to. No argument here either way. If the air driver can prove they broke the contract by him/her moving it, then go for it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Where the poblem happens is when ground gets mixed up in air. I would drive to the airport to P/U air and have to bring ground back up with me. It was rare but it does happen, and you can't just leave anything at the airport. It has to come back with you.

JonFrum

Sorry Chopstic, but Air Drivers only get full Package Car Driver's pay if they deliver a ground package, or pick-up more than a few ground "exception" packages. See Article 40, Section 1, here . . .
http://tdu.org/node/1617

Also note that the Preamble to Article 40 specifically states that Article 40 language superseeds any Supplemental language on the same topic.

You will get Air Driver overtime for working over 8 hours.

Since this is UPS, and this is the Christmas Season, and you went the extra mile to get the job done, let us know if you are rewarded with a Warning Letter for working too many hours!!!:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sorry Chopstic, but Air Drivers only get full Package Car Driver's pay if they deliver a ground package, or pick-up more than a few ground "exception" packages. See Article 40, Section 1, here . . .
http://tdu.org/node/1617

Also note that the Preamble to Article 40 specifically states that Article 40 language superseeds any Supplemental language on the same topic.

You will get Air Driver overtime for working over 8 hours.

Since this is UPS, and this is the Christmas Season, and you went the extra mile to get the job done, let us know if you are rewarded with a Warning Letter for working too many hours!!!:wink2:

It depends on the area you are in. Here we get top driver pay for handling ground for any reason.

gandydancer

It depends on the area you are in. Here we get top driver pay for handling ground for any reason.

Bully for your BA. But the National says (a) that Air drivers don't get ground pay for "Exceptions" and (b) that Article 40 overrides all Regional and Local agreements. So your "no exceptions" is contrary to contract, and you need to be careful grieving any violations or you may lose the benefit.

I'm trying to find the contract language online... I can find the NMA, but can't seem to locate the western area agreement, or the riders. Anyone know where to find these online?

Not necessarily full text (some are only differences), or searchable (some are images only), but see http://www.makeupsdeliver.org/page.php?20 or (better, since it has the 2002 agreement) http://tdu.org/node/1617. The Teamsters site has pulled down their page of contracts (why??? -- because they prefer an ignorant membership?). But see (b) above.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Bully for your BA. But the National says (a) that Air drivers don't get ground pay for "Exceptions" and (b) that Article 40 overrides all Regional and Local agreements. So your "no exceptions" is contrary to contract, and you need to be careful grieving any violations or you may lose the benefit..
I don't have to worry about it anymore!:wink2: I'm on to bigger and better things.LOL

some1else

Banned
the "Exception" is ONLY when a customer has shipped their grounds and has a few left over at the air p.u

i.e ft driver p.u at 1600 40 grounds 5 air. air p.u at 1830 10 air 4 grounds. those would be exception packages. that is the ONLY type of ground work that is considered "exception"

any other work falls under the penalty pay; but in this case he was not given ground work; he (or someone else) misloaded a ground on an air shuttle.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you can pick up ground in a air letter box, then you should not be able to grieve if ONE box got sorted to your shuttle.

If they TOLD you to DELIVER it, then YES, GRIEVE
If they put a BULK LOAD of GROUND in your shuttle, then YES, GRIEVE

NOT WITH JUST ONE BOX, UNLESS IT IS A HABIT, DOCUMENT IT