I Knew This was Coming

rod

Retired 22 years
Holy crap they're still in business? Loved those deliveries when I was a kid.
Thing is, once we give something up there's no getting it back. We have to draw the line somewhere. 60 is enough.

Totally agree 60 hours is more than enough. Schwans is still going (Minnesota company by the way). We used them all the time when raising kids. They have great food. A little spendy but well worth it for the quality.

F

Frankie's Friend

Holy crap they're still in business? Loved those deliveries when I was a kid.
Thing is, once we give something up there's no getting it back. We have to draw the line somewhere. 60 is enough.
Their trucks look like garbage. Rusted out junk. They took a hit in the late 80s/early 90s when they found they produced and retailed contaminated ice cream. Hit them hard. (No pun intended.)

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
That would be different and would need to be addressed by the Union.

I truly believe that this is something that they want to have in their back pocket "just in case".
It is easy to say that when you are retiring in 2 weeks so if you want to talk about language that will not affect you in the long haul. There already have it in there back pocket for most of the locals in the US so I dont know what point your trying to make, the only thing they are trying to do is save themselves from 9.5 drivers. They will load up new drivers with 14 hr days to cover the list until 4 year progression will be reached.

F

Frankie's Friend

If true, that they even proposed a 70 hour DOT week in package if needed, It shows every UPS employee that the 9.5 language is a joke to them.
It also shows that dispatching over 10 hours a day IS the goal.
The major air hubs will continue to struggle with the longer days. Feeder runs will pull later and later thus preload with wrap up later producing more premium service failures.

Cause and effect. It's pretty much status quo and has been for years.
A quart holds 32 oz. Over fill it and the rest flows into the floor. SMH

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The major air hubs will continue to struggle with the longer days. Feeder runs will pull later and later thus preload with wrap up later producing more premium service failures.

Cause and effect. It's pretty much status quo and has been for years.
A quart holds 32 oz. Over fill it and the rest flows into the floor. SMH

Well, there's another thread that's stating they are working on getting the drivers out earlier.
This company is talking out of both sides of their mouths.
It's really hard to figure out what the hell is coming down the road, and I think that's how they like it.

F

Frankie's Friend

They have revamped their business model, including smaller delivery vehicles.
Dude, in the late 80s thru the early 90s gasoline was $.99 to $1.10 per gallon. Going to smaller, more efficient vehicles was not a revamp. For them it was for survival. They have had to change their retail offerings to flex and (mostly) contract with customer demand.
The company is a dinosaur concept and the only thing that floats their boat is the quality of their inventory.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Beating a driver out of overtime, whether he worked 4X10's, or 5X8's or 3X13.3 is the salient point, Dan. If you work the OT, you should get paid for it.

I really don't understand your POV.
As FT drivers, we are guaranteed 40 hours a week at the regular pay rate.
That 4 day work week results in a 10 hour regular pay rate day. No OT after 8 hours, only after 10.
A 5th punch would result in a full day's worth of OT.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I really don't understand your POV.
As FT drivers, we are guaranteed 40 hours a week at the regular pay rate.
That 4 day work week results in a 10 hour regular pay rate day. No OT after 8 hours, only after 10.
A 5th punch would result in a full day's worth of OT.
As it stands now, those 4-10's would be paid as 32 straight and 8 at time and a half.
The Company is proposing the 4-10's at straight time in lieu of a 5 day work week.
Bad deal, in my opinion.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As it stands now, those 4-10's would be paid as 32 straight and 8 at time and a half.
The Company is proposing the 4-10's at straight time in lieu of a 5 day work week.
Bad deal, in my opinion.
That makes no sense whatsoever and not sure where you are getting your info.
You are getting confused with the "guaranteed 8 hours a day" rule. That applies for a 5 day work week.
A 4 day switch would include the language "guaranteed 10 hours a day".

We'd be making out as bandits if they paid 32 straight + 8 OT and we'd be doing that already because we'd make more money for less work.

Please footnote where you got your 32 straight/ 8 OT from !!

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If the company could get @anHOURover to sell the 4x10's at straight time....

After all, he loves them. He could put that bullhorn to some use.

-Bug-

I'm not saying at all I would vote for it.
We are only guaranteed 40 hours at regular rate as FT drivers.
That's what is in the contract. How we would get it (4days,5days,6days) is up to us.

UPS wants to use less drivers. They would entice a driver to come in for a 5th punch at a 10 hour day OT rate.
The driver thinks he won, but really UPS wants this the most.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm not saying at all I would vote for it.

That was just a jab @anHOURover, who "loves" his 4x10's at straight time.

That makes no sense whatsoever and not sure where you are getting your info.
You are getting confused with the "guaranteed 8 hours a day" rule. That applies for a 5 day work week.
A 4 day switch would include the language "guaranteed 10 hours a day".

We'd be making out as bandits if they paid 32 straight + 8 OT and we'd be doing that already because we'd make more money for less work.

Please footnote where you got your 32 straight/ 8 OT from !!

I think I understand what Bubble is saying.

Currently, if you work 4x10's.... it would be 32 straight hours and 8 OT.

In the Central Region.... you don't need 5 days to achieve it.

We are only guaranteed 40 hours at regular rate as FT drivers.

In the Central, that only applies if you are a 90% employee.

-Bug-